Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 04:48 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times

Advertisements

I love VT!!!! I love the food. ITs the only State where you can actually do local. Not just food but buy local things like a glass plate, a wood bowl and its not made in CHINA!! The food is to die for , I bring a cooler and hit the farms and co-ops and organic spots then go home. I hit the local glass artists and wood workers. I think you people have some real good things in your State and your one State that does some things 100 percent right!!!!! Listen come eat at a bad chain or farm in NJ and you will running home for some VT food. Its terrible. Even your food cart guys are organic!! Its the best. Your State is the only State that can do this!!! BE PROUD!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 02:10 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,970,949 times
We have the prettiest cows too! If you think the food was good, you have to try the beer!

Old 08-12-2012, 03:47 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
Steve - see if Graze Delivered services your area:
Graze - Vermont Artisanal Foods

Old 08-12-2012, 07:32 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,503 times
I buy grass fed beef from North Hollow Farm...I've picked it up locally but also have had it shipped down to NY many times....they also carry pork and chicken....

Vermont Grass Fed Beef from North Hollow Farm - Home

Old 08-13-2012, 03:23 AM

thanks just had to comment on how lucky VT people are, sometimes when you live in a State you forget or take things for granted. IF you love to cook, which I find very like therapy for me and are alittle into the organic scene (I am) your State is the only State that has the best and choices too!!! Not just on a Whole Foods circuit. I bought some of the best stuff this weekend!! You see I bodybuild and your food is the cleanest!

Thanks for the comments and the links!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 11:15 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,606 times
Hi Steve, We do have very good Farm to table, but every state has great food to offer now (including NJ). This is not just a Vermont thing (it actually started and was perfected in California). This is a good link There are thousands of links on the net to great food in every part of this country. The farmers market in of all places Detroit (Detroit Eastern Market - Detroit Eastern Market), is one of the largest and best in the country. Who would have thought.
Related to another thread, this is something we learned from those darn dirty Europeans.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Hi Steve, We do have very good Farm to table, but every state has great food to offer now (including NJ). This is not just a Vermont thing (it actually started and was perfected in California). This is a good link There are thousands of links on the net to great food in every part of this country. The farmers market in of all places Detroit (Detroit Eastern Market - Detroit Eastern Market), is one of the largest and best in the country. Who would have thought.
Related to another thread, this is something we learned from those darn dirty Europeans.
cool link!! Detroit next road trip!!

Old 08-13-2012, 12:39 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,791 times
Hey why not? Haymarket in Boston has been around for a LONG time.
Haymarket Boston Historic Open Air Market | Boston Discovery Guide

Old 08-15-2012, 02:58 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
This is a part of moving to VT for us. I think the big things for me are :
1) availability...
2) organic versus not

for example 4 organic farms within about 5 miles of here. those are just the "bigger" ones.

3) as a percentage i think more VTers care about this sort of thing (than say NJ population) which means its going to be more obtainable and more likely to be successful

on the flip side.. a lot of perishable things we cheat on (stuff that isn't local) are much more expensive or much less available. For example you can go get a ripe organic banana any day of the year in NJ but here they are more expensive and usually very ripe or green!

Old 08-16-2012, 08:09 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
I saw a news story on urban farmer in Detroit. He is an ex pro ball player (can't remember his name), who invested his money into a farm located in the city, greenhouses and all. He created quite a business for himself, at the same time he is providing local food to impoverished neighborhoods and has created many jobs. Can't find the name of the farm right now. It was interesting. ETA: I was wrong. He is in Milwaukee, not Detroit. His name is Will Allen. The name of his farm is Growing Power.

Apparently there is a new documentary coming out called "Urban Roots" that covers the entire urban farming phenomenon in detroit. It hasn't been released yet. Urban Roots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont