Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 09:46 AM

444 posts, read 788,633 times

Advertisements

These Big Boys are over five feet tall and very bushy. It looks like we'll be eating lots of tomatoes starting soon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 10:44 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,139 times
Paul all I see is

I'm surprised you got any, as dry as we've had it. Tomatoes are expensive this year! Great that you were able to grow your own.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:56 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,429 times
I'll agree, thankfully we are having a nice dry summer as opposed to some of the cloudy and dank ones of recent years. Still, I'm dealing with some early blight, I suppose thanks to the spores of rainy summers past.

Also, through fault of my own, I'm dealing with some end rot where the base of the tomato turned black. After some research, I discovered I have been watering rather unevenly. It's been so hot that the plants have been wilting because I wasn't staying on top of the watering. It's been feast or famine with the water
since I was dousing the plants when they were wilted. I guess that screws up the calcium consumption.
You're supposed to give a steady and consistent supply of water.

Tomato growing - I have a love/hate relationship. But they are so good.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:55 AM

Can you see this? Both show up on my computer.

I planted in an old garden that hadn't been used for several years and added compost, so the soil was very potent. Also I didn't over or under water.
Attached Thumbnails
A good year for tomatoes in Vermont-021.jpg  

Old 08-04-2012, 12:00 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
Can you see this? Both show up on my computer.

I planted in an old garden that hadn't been used for several years and added compost, so the soil was very potent. Also I didn't over or under water.
yes

where are the tomatoes though?

Old 08-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
yes

where are the tomatoes though?
They're not ripe yet so they don't stand out. You can see some of them if you click on the picture and enlarge it to the max. There are 8 plants there with 20+ tomatoes on each. The larger ones are near the bases and hidden by leaves.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:25 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,915 times
Hey paul, we have been gardening since we moved here about twenty years ago. This is the best year ever for us in VT. We have the same big plants. t had to re-stake because the plants out-grew what we put in.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:11 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,807 times
Those look like some great plants! I can see a lot of tomatoes!!!! Hope you don't get sick of them by the time they stop producing!

Old 08-05-2012, 01:01 AM

914 posts, read 2,919,140 times
Yes, my daughter has been getting a high yield on most of her vegies this summer. At first, she thought it would be another bad year because the late spring was so cold and rainy.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:02 AM

I used to grow tomatoes all the time when I lived in the Midwest, and I think this year I'm doing a little better here (global warming?) They love sun and heat. As I said, I also have ideal soil conditions because nothing was planted there for several years. If you plant in the same place every year you deplete the soil no matter how much fertilizer you use, and you give tomato-specific diseases a chance to develop in the soil. So far I've had just one hornworm and very little yellowing of the leaves.

Actually I wish it were cooler - this weather has been unpleasant the last couple of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: