U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-26-2012, 08:26 PM

4 posts, read 2,355 times

Advertisements

I remember living in waterbury in the 1950's and couldn't think of a better place for young people then. Quiet, work available for those that wanted it. Fishing and hunting for all.
One of the most cherished memories I have is of going to the park by the train depot and then eating at the restraunt that I have compaired all others to for 50 years. I don't know what the name of it was but my family simply called it " Ma and Pa Izors' ". Spagetti was the best I've had. Sure miss it now I am older. John Fitzgerald
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 AM

11,765 posts, read 27,380,976 times
West side of the street? Wasn't it just called "The Park Restaurant?" There was also skating in the winter in the park (if you didn't mind bumpy ice) and boating up at the dam, and lots of hiking opportunities, and even music to go to the dump by on the radio station. There were still some ski possibilities in town, but the lift was gone by the 1960s. The Waterbury Inn (on the park at the west corner of Main) had a restaurant as well, although it burned during that period.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a used copy of the book "The Waterbury Record". It covers the area right about the turn of the century (1800-1900) and has wonderful vignettes of life in town. I wrote a privately published book and DVD on the trolley line that went from Waterbury (across the tracks from the depot) up to Stowe. (It stopped running in 1932)

There also is an active historical society in town. You might know some of the members. IIRC the Izors had the big house on the East side of Stowe Street where Railroad Street T'd into it.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:25 AM

4 posts, read 2,355 times
Harry chickpea, Yes skating in the winter and water polo (watered down volleyball) in the park on the 4th followed by fireworks at the drive-in I think it was. Listening to the Old Squire on the radio (so boss, so boss) in the morning. I wanted away from it all then but look back and wonder why. Life seemed a lot simpler then. Going to Mr. Ordway's hardware store was a favorite of mine. He always had the time to talk to me about fishing and show me the latest fishing gizmo he was selling even though he knew I didn't have the money to purchase it. He would always make sure I had some fish hooks despite the lack of cash. I've always remembered that and tried to make sure I passed it on to the younger and not so fortunate. I don't think he could have thought, in a million years, his caring could have effected me in the way it did.
Thanks for the memories, John Fitzgerald.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:03 PM

11,765 posts, read 27,380,976 times
Aubuchon's? If so, you did hang out by the park a lot. Hmmm, there was another hardware store up at the corner of Stowe & Main... Don't remember the name offhand. Luce's Hardware was more interesting to me, if less well lit. Lots of odd stuff in the back and the rope-pull freight elevator. No drive-in in Waterbury. The two closest were the one in Morrisville and the twin in Barre. The indoor theatre on Stowe St. - Rialto - closed around 1958 IIRC. Lloyd Squire was a character. He had some decent poetry, although Red Woodward (Suburban List) was more pithy most of the time. The adults did a pretty good job of looking out for the kids while still letting them be kids. I remember getting sunfish and perch out of the pool below the gristmill dam.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 09-10-2012 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont