U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 09:04 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,898,828 times

Advertisements

It's interesting. In Vermont, I've noticed that a lot of things are written in English and French. I don't doubt that French is an unofficial second language there because of Vermont's proximity to Quebec.

Further south, even in New York, the unofficial second language is Spanish.

In Brookyn hospitals, you also see signs in Chinese and Russian, and maybe even Yiddish, Hebrew and Urdu. It depends on what section of Brookyn you are in.

BTW, I believe that the most ethnically diverse county in the country is Queens County, NY, which is the borough of Queens in New York City.

To keep to topic, in New York you are at a tremendous advantage professionally if you speak Spanish. Lots of jobs require fluent Spanish. I wonder if you are at an advantage in Vermont if you speak French. I would imagine that the further north you go (and east??) the more this might be the case. I'm wondering how French speaking is the NEK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 09:37 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,186,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I would imagine that the further north you go (and east??) the more this might be the case. I'm wondering how French speaking is the NEK?
Not nearly as bad as the Spanish in other places. You do hear some French, and the signs on I-91 at the border are French and English.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:44 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,415,964 times
Several of my colleagues are from near the border (Swanton, Alburg, Newport, etc) and many of them are of French Canadian ancestry. They don't speak french, even though some folks that live up that way do. Quite a bit of the francophone atmosphere is derived from the fact that we get TV/radio stations from Quebec and of course the closer you get to the border the liklihood of dual english/french road signs increases. It appears that most of the french influence involves a rapidly growing elderly population, not so much the younger generation. It was kind of the same in NY when I was growing up as we had numerous ethnic groups in the neighborhood, none of which exist to the point of really being noticeable anymore.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:49 AM

2,186 posts, read 5,982,572 times
Due to recent exchange rate changes Vermont is already seeing a increase in business from our neighbors to the north. I would think that being fluent in Quebec French would an increasing advantage to being employed in Vermont.

Companies from up north, Bombardier in Barre, for example, that were major emploers in Vermont have either greatly downsized or even moved away over the years. If companies feel that the current exchange rate has legs for the future, this bodes well for Vermont's economy.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:40 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,724,110 times
This is sort of related to the Canadian questions..I remember years ago my dad was working in Nashua, NH and would often bring home (on his weekends home to NY) Canadian coins he'd gotten as change. It seemed so exotic to see them (I later went on to be a coin collector when I was growing up).
Now we get the occasional Canadian coin here in VT.
Someone told me you can use them near the border as legal currency..? I mean, a dime, a penny--not a big deal..but I am curious if it's acceptable.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:20 AM

Depends on the business....my company in the MRV happily accepts the coins and loonies on par. The coins do however not work in some vending machines.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:01 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,228,926 times
I get them all the time when we're in Stowe and surrounding areas and we use them up there with no problems...

I used to love it when I was a kid.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:56 PM

Just read tonight that the VA is hiring. There's a VA hospital in White River Junction. I remember visiting there 20 years ago and being very moved by the beauty of the mountains when I left.

But I have read on this forum that the VA hospital in Vermont (and maybe those in northern New England, generally), pay less than the ones further south, such as in Massachusetts.

Does anyone know about the VA hospital in White River Junction? It would be an hour's commute from Brattleboro, but I might want to move to the Upper Valley rather than spend two hours a day commuting.

I'm also interested in working conditions and salaries at DHMC. I visited Dartmouth and DHMC when I was in the area about 20 years ago, and I remember the place felt a little cold and unfriendly. A doctor here in Brooklyn worked there for a while and returned to Brooklyn, saying the place was cold (both in temperature and socially). Does anyone have any information? Maybe I should ask this on the NH forum, too.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Just read tonight that the VA is hiring. There's a VA hospital in White River Junction. I remember visiting there 20 years ago and being very moved by the beauty of the mountains when I left.

But I have read on this forum that the VA hospital in Vermont (and maybe those in northern New England, generally), pay less than the ones further south, such as in Massachusetts.

Does anyone know about the VA hospital in White River Junction? It would be an hour's commute from Brattleboro, but I might want to move to the Upper Valley rather than spend two hours a day commuting.

I'm also interested in working conditions and salaries at DHMC. I visited Dartmouth and DHMC when I was in the area about 20 years ago, and I remember the place felt a little cold and unfriendly. A doctor here in Brooklyn worked there for a while and returned to Brooklyn, saying the place was cold (both in temperature and socially). Does anyone have any information? Maybe I should ask this on the NH forum, too.
Years ago the VA Hospital in WRJ had a very bad rep but has turned things around to be one of the best. My neighbor goes there regularly. DHMC has greatly expanded and is considered a top hospital. CVMC in Montpelier which is now a sister hospital to DHMC has embarked on major expansion. BTW, WCMH, Washington County Mental Heath Services(Montpelier) has a staff now of over 500 and they are always looking for qualified mental health professionals.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:10 PM

Thanks. Good to know.

I have had the feeling that, as an experienced mental health professional, I would have more luck finding a decent Vermont job than people in a lot of other fields. But I don't want to assume anything.

BTW, I've been stuck in NYC and I have not yet made my foliage trip to Brattleboro. I hope later in the month is not too late to come , but I have a feeling I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or