U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 07:35 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,188,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Lilly,
You've been kind to me on this forum so I don't want a flaming war.
Seriously I personally have never been overpaid. Neither has my husband. I've done work for as low as $6.50 an hour (preschool teacher) which meant I was personally in charge of 15 kids while the boss (owner) was raking in a good fee for them.

Trickling down to the worker would be nice sometimes, that's all I am saying.
I know what you are saying, but the flip side is that the business owner has to make money too, and he has a lot of expenses and costs and risk. Then, on top of that, no one wants to buy local to support that business-everyone wants to run to Wal-Mart to get cheap stuff, so the money does not stay local. Money that stays local gets back to the workers.

That said, I pay my employees pretty well- not great, but they are happy. I also give them plenty of autonomy. They make good money. I don't give them vacation days or sick days. I tell them to take what they need-all I ask is don't take two weeks in a row. I trust them to do the right thing, and I've never had a problem with anyone.

I still believe, though, that you cannot really control your income unless you work for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 07:56 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,623,925 times
Lily Beans is typical of Vermont employer mentality.
Im sure if you ask her employees what they thought of no sick days,
2 week vacation and the wages there would be another opinion.
In a civilized and fair society compensation for work is equal
to resposibility required of the job. Asking employees to be on-call
all weekend or work in a stressful, unsafe environment for 9.00 an
hour and no healthcare is typical of a Vermont employer. The expectation
of the worker for the crappo, nothing, wage paid is outragious. The state
of Vermont and the University of Vermont both did studies that said a
'Liveable Wage' is about 14.00 and hour for Nothern Vermont. Most
VT employers dont even come close to this. Vermont has a captive work
force and is a "Terminate-at-will" state. Companies know that and take full
advantage of it. If more native VT'ers realized that the draconian work
environment they suffer went out in the early 70's they would be a little more
proactive in fighting for a decent wage and working conditions.
Personally, I wouldnt ask someone to work for under twelve and hour. Thats
the cost of doing business. If you cant pay that, maybe you shouldnt be
running a business. There is a reason why kids in VT are running out, en masse,
as soon as they can. Watching thier Parents work some crappy, 50 hour a week
jop and then have to pull a shift at the quick-mart just to put oil in the tank has
a lot to do with that. After suffering what was called 'employement' in the
RuT-land area, I wrote reps in VT letters asking that new business that hire a
certain amount of people MUST sign a 'Fair and Liveable Wage-Practice' contract
with the state.
Yes Lily, you can work too hard, VT is a perfect example of that.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:15 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,729,544 times
Personally, I agree ,in part, with both Lilly and Kozmic. Both of you make valid points.

Right now many people live off tourism in Vermont. That goes for the business owners (of Inns, Hotels, and restaurants). This money goes to the owner and his workers, many of whom NEED those tips to survive. I saw first hand how 'servers' suck up (sickening, really) to get that money because they are making rubbish for pay. I'm not talking about dignified waitressing--I am talking about 'serious butt kissing.'

The owner's attitude is 'hey you'll get tips...the wages are pretty good..'

I was lured in for ONE day and quit because I have no interest in piggybacking off some tourist for my daily bread (while fighting 'for tips' like so many HAVE to do). I feel sorry for anyone who HAS to do it to survive.

Fortunately I have a husband who works and I also have a brain in my head & 2 degrees I can put to use a lot better than serving tourists. Again, if you work with tourists or for them, I am not insulting you. I just find it vile that 'owners' of these places make more in one meal than they will pay servers or housekeepers in a few days.

No sir, I want no part of it. I'll give out directions when I see lost tourists (for free). As far as their money--they can keep it, while I keep my self respect.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:24 AM

3,328 posts, read 8,770,254 times
What are your 2 degrees in?

Gypsy...we warned you

Old 10-13-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
What are your 2 degrees in?

Gypsy...we warned you
Yes, you did.

I am not disillusioned (never had any fantasies to begin with about the area.) Like I said, we are very near to NH--there are jobs there. I just need something around my son's school until my hubby gets a night job. I'm not comfortable with driving here yet. If I was, I'd be at Dartmouth trying to get a job.

I have a Masters in Teaching (plan on getting my NH cert next year) and an English degree. I could sub in VT.

I'm not trying to insult anyone by the way. It's no picnic in NY either, but the vast majority of these less than $10 jobs go to illegals and minorities there. That's one big difference I noticed.

So, all, we soldier on.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Lily Beans is typical of Vermont employer mentality.
Im sure if you ask her employees what they thought of no sick days,
2 week vacation and the wages there would be another opinion.
Are you kidding me? Allowing employees to take as much sick time and days off that they want is a bad thing? How do you figure that?

Last edited by Lilybeans; 10-13-2007 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-13-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Yes, you did.
I'm not comfortable with driving here yet.
It's easy-you can't really get lost-just keep driving and you'll get to NH or NY at some point.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:03 PM

2,052 posts, read 4,052,873 times
Wages are pretty much what they are, whether it be Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine. We didn't manage the loss of traditional industry well. We are then stuck with the industry that we have. We make the trade off for the "quality of life" by remaining here. Many gladly rough it out to enjoy the other aspects of northern New England. You can always go off to greener pastures and then come up as a tourist!

Old 10-13-2007, 04:03 PM

3,328 posts, read 8,770,254 times
Have you looked into employment at Dartmouth? I would think with your creditentials you could find something there.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Wages are pretty much what they are, whether it be Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine. We didn't manage the loss of traditional industry well. We are then stuck with the industry that we have. We make the trade off for the "quality of life" by remaining here. Many gladly rough it out to enjoy the other aspects of northern New England. You can always go off to greener pastures and then come up as a tourist!
Yes, I could do that. Then I can ask someone else where Route 4 is...and where
So and So Farms is, and all the other questions I've answered in only 6 weeks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or