U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 08:16 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,771,112 times

Advertisements

Lily--I think you took it the wrong way.
I mean, in a big town (like in Brooklyn) you can go out and get another job easily due to the size of the place, while maybe in Vermont it's harder to get a job but you might be able to based on connections.

I am not advocating 'walking out' on your boss.

Word can get around (in a small town) if you are a bad employer(or employee). True. Word of mouth can ruin a company or keep it going strong. (the same for your employment status).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 08:33 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,629,451 times
Arel, one can sense disappointment in your posts but I
stand but what I said having been there and done that...
If you are not independantly wealthy, the chances of you
going in cold and getting a good job that will contribute to
the quality-of-life issues you are moving there for are small,
percentagely speaking. I have a highly technical backround and
have never had a problem finding a job until I went to VT. Even
here in FL, A mediocre job environment as best, I turned offers
down. I have a great job now and it was too easy to get. I live in
a great location people and naturewise. This is redneck FL, but its
still here. Vermont Tourist Agency should get a bonus for creating
this mythical, wonderful image of Vermont that draws so many
people there. And, it is a great place in a number of respects and
I almost hope it wouldnt change in that way, but, there are places
all over that have the same vibe as you are looking for in Vt.
Almost anywhere along The Appalachian Mtn. range you can find
the -exact- same stuff you find in VT. Out west, Portland Or is
very Vt-ish... Lambertville New Jersey or a few other N. Jersey
towns offer the same stuff but are cheaper and closer to better
employment. If Vt is for you, the universe will let it happen...
If it isnt, dont give up hope cuz Vermont doesnt have a patent
on all the stuff that makes it nice. there are plenty more places
like it out there.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:39 AM

2,052 posts, read 4,059,672 times
Good topic. I also might add, many people who do relocate to northern New England are disappointed that they might have to work a couple of jobs. For example, I know people with BBA's who work as managers in large supermarkets for half of what they are worth.

Be aware, that unless you live in a major population center, it is nearly impossible to just go down and grab a part time job at McD's or the grocery store, just to earn a little income during a hard time. This concept seems to blow a lot of minds.

Just the way it is. Cheers!

Old 10-14-2007, 09:41 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,200,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
, there are places
all over that have the same vibe as you are looking for in Vt.
Almost anywhere along The Appalachian Mtn. range you can find
the -exact- same stuff you find in VT. Out west, Portland Or is
very Vt-ish... Lambertville New Jersey or a few other N. Jersey
towns offer the same stuff but are cheaper and closer to better
employment. If Vt is for you, the universe will let it happen...
If it isnt, dont give up hope cuz Vermont doesnt have a patent
on all the stuff that makes it nice. there are plenty more places
like it out there.
There might be places, but the vibe in Vermont is the whole state. It's not about pockets or a town here and there, it is the whole state.

I promise in Appalachia, or Pennsylvania other areas you won't find the quintessential New England towns. You won't find village greens bordered by a church with a white steeple rising into a bright blue sky, with sugar maples all around. Vermont IS different.

Vermont, for all it's issues, is the one state that has no billboards. It's people are invested in their state and in the land itself. You might hear Vermonters discuss things, but no one wants to destroy the environment. It's a common point of interest.

Vermont really is a state of mind. There is no other state like it.

Last edited by Lilybeans; 10-14-2007 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: .

Old 10-14-2007, 10:55 AM

1,134 posts, read 3,629,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
There might be places, but the vibe in Vermont is the whole state.
I promise in Appalachia, or Pennsylvania other areas you won't find the quintessential New England towns.

Vermont really is a state of mind. There is no other state like it.
Sorry, Gotta respectfully disagree. Ive lived in several places
on the East Coast and spent time in all the states from Indiana
over....There is most definately the stuff you mention
in PA, NY, N. Jersey, Virgina, Western NC, E. Tennessee, etc...
You just have to look for it. Even Michigan is Vermont spectacular
if you know where to look. Thats exactly why VT was such a disappointment
for us. Other than the spectacular scenery we couldnt find any of the 'magic' VT
is supposedly known for, and I can assure you it wasnt for lack of trying. Someone
doesnt leave a good life behind and not try to make the new one work. Burlington and
a few of the other monied places had this 'vibe' you speak of but Rutland was straight,
hillbilly, redneck unpleasantness. Absolutely the WORST place Ive EVER lived !!! Bar none.
The same can be said for Manchester and Bennington........No point in debating it any further.
Someone has to come here and form thier own opinion. One persons heaven is anothers Hell.
People are fond of saying "When Hell freezes over"...... To me, Hell does freeze over every year.
Its called Southern Vermont.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:26 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,907,956 times
I know someone who moved from another New England state to Vermont. He lives in Manchester. He LOVES it. He loves the philosophy of Vermont.

By trade, he is a carpenter. He makes his living renovating kitchens and bathrooms. I do think, though, that he does a lot of work out of state.

There is a post on another thread in this forum, by someone who recently moved to Vermont. She writes that her husband, a carpenter, has more work than he can handle. Meanwhile, she is developing her own horse care and massage business. She also LOVES Vermont.

What these people have in common, I think, is that they have trades or specialized skills that thay can use independently. They are, of course, dependent on clients, but they are not dependent on a single employer to hire them. If your skills are not the kind that can be independently marketed, or if you don't have professional or trade skills, then I think the situation is vastly different.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:05 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,067,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
From the posts on this thread, it seems that working in Vermont is a nightmare. I can't imagine how one can enjoy the "quality of life" in Vermont if you are working all the time in abusive situations.

I don't mind working, because I like what I do. But I have little tolerance for abusive workplaces. I have left jobs where I felt the work environment to be abusive. The thing I most dread is feeling trapped in such an environment, without choices of other workplaces or other sources of financial support.

It is now known that abusive workplaces are a hazard to health.

If what has been described on this thread is what I can expect in Vermont, I think it would be better to stay in Brooklyn.

But I do agree that you have more control if you own your own business, and that this would apply to businesses in Vermont as well as anywhere else.
I mentioned a month or so ago that you don't always get the chance to appreciate the quality of life here in Vermont due to having to work and do so much to survive. Some of us have luck and don't need to work as many jobs, but there always seems to be more things to do in a day that is possible to enjoy the quality of life.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:54 PM

82 posts, read 193,557 times
Jobs in Vermont are really difficult to come by. I had pretty decent job with okay wages and great benefits, but my managers were awful people. I dreaded going to work and after about 2 1/2 years I left and started working for FAHC. Even though I was finishing a masters degree, the HR person only seemed to think I was qualified to work as an administrative assistant. The pay was a little better, except they often cheated me out of my differential pay and I had to fight with payroll each paycheck. I left that job after nine months due to wage headaches, ineffective management and general job dissatifaction. (Even though I had asked seven months in advance for the day off and gotten it approved, I was still scheduled the day of my graduation! When I asked my boss about it, I was told that I could either find someone to switch or I needed to come in to work.)

Since graduation, I've been looking for other jobs and turning down things that I know aren't going to be a good fit, while doing temp and free lance work. There are always ads in the 7days, but I think many employers are under the supposition there are TONS of workers to choose from when in fact I don't think that's the case. I see the same jobs advertised over and over again with the same agencies.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,468 times
Default cheap aparments

My boyfriend and I are moving to Montpelier for school (he's going to New England Culinary Institue). Money is going to be very tight with moving expenses (we live in Iowa) and security and first month rent. We're looking for very cheap apartmens. Any suggestions? Also too, I currently work at a insurance company. I've been there for 6 years and have very good references. Looking at jobs around Montpelier seems scarce. Is Montpelier all cafes, antique shops and other places catering to tourists? Any office jobs with benefits or will I have to travel outside the area for work?

Old 10-15-2007, 10:05 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,200,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan0603 View Post
My boyfriend and I are moving to Montpelier for school (he's going to New England Culinary Institue). Money is going to be very tight with moving expenses (we live in Iowa) and security and first month rent. We're looking for very cheap apartmens. Any suggestions? Also too, I currently work at a insurance company. I've been there for 6 years and have very good references. Looking at jobs around Montpelier seems scarce. Is Montpelier all cafes, antique shops and other places catering to tourists? Any office jobs with benefits or will I have to travel outside the area for work?
Montpelier is the state capital. Not really a tourist destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or