Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 907 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I am looking for some information\insight from any Vermont real estate Agents, Brokers or anyone else with knowledge of the real estate field. I am currently in the IT field. I live in NJ and commute to New York City every day. I have been commuting 4 hrs a day for the last 13 years and it's getting old.

I recently got married and my wifes family is in VT. We are thinking of moving to VT or at least closer before starting a family. We are also considering New Hampshire or MA if we can't find jobs in VT. I have always been really interested in real estate both as possibly being a Realtor\Broker and I am also interested in purchasing some rental properties in the future. I am thinking that now may be a good time for a career change into real estate but I am concerned that I might have trouble making it in VT as I know the job market in VT isn't good right now.

I make around 100k at my IT job and I would like to make something similar to this once we relocate. I know it will take time to get there in real estate, I've read everything saying that you normally won't make anything for the first 6 months and I'm ok with this. I'm also ok if it takes a few years to get up to the 100k range or higher. Depending on what kind of job my wife finds we should be ok with the reduced salary for the first few years. I know all the statistics about most realtors failing or not having enough $ to sustain themselves while getting their business off the ground. We wouldn't make this move until we have enough $ saved to make it through this beginning phase. I have always done well with everything I do and I work really hard at everything. Is it reasonable in the current market that I could change careers and build up to a 100k income or better after a few years of hard work selling real estate in VT, NH or MA?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 05:38 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
You'd probably have better luck becoming a successful realtor in NJ. How would you get any listings in VT if nobody there knows you? The real estate business is more about relationships than hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont