U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:14 PM

6 posts, read 6,509 times

Advertisements

Can any of you help with the "feel" of these two towns? We are a young family, one daughter now but hoping to have more children. Schools are important to me. Space is important to my husband. I like the idea of neighborhoods, but my husband hunts, likes to dirtbike. We all enjoy hiking. I lean more toward Shelburne, but he definitely leans more toward Charlotte. They both seem great. I guess I'd like to get a sense of the people in the community. Does anyone live there? Can you weigh in on what each town is like to live in?
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 10:28 PM

190 posts, read 549,538 times
They are both very pleasant towns. Shelburne is a little more condensed. There are a couple small stores in the "downtown" area, and if you like hiking its very close to the bay trails and Shelburne Farms. I've noticed that there are more developments in Shelburne.

Charlotte is a bit more spaced out, with less developments and I want to say more land. There is a very nice little beach by the water and it's very hilly and picturesque. For your husband, while there seems to be more space in Charlotte I've noticed that it's not very forested for hunting. Perhaps someone who hunts can weigh in on this.

My biggest complaints about both towns are a lack of diversity (both are composed of mostly white, wealthy transplants) and a centralized town area (I absolutely need to be walking distance from stores, at the very least a grocery store). They are both very nice towns though and as far as I can guess would suite both you and your husband. Maybe somebody else will know about school districts and other housing concerns.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:46 AM

Thank you. That is helpful. I would be one of those transplants, so that doesn't bother me. My husband is the real VTer.

How about friendliness of people, ease of meeting, community-oriented? I realize these things are hard to know unless you live there, so any tid bits would help. Maybe someone on here lives in one of these towns?

We are definitely planning on moving up that way and trying to figure out where is best for our family. We are currently in the Manchester, VT area and really like it. The people here are so welcoming and kind, but we both want to be closer to Burlington and family in Stowe though.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 AM

3,329 posts, read 8,781,590 times
Hunting is out in Shelburne. I'm pretty sure no firearms discharge are allowed in the town. Dirt biking is not especially popular in either town either! Both towns are a little on the "hoity toity" side. Nice towns though.
As mentioned, Shelburne is more developed. Suburban style developments on big lots. Nice downtown area. The northwestern end of town has more dense development while the rest of the town is a little less developed. Pull up google maps and look at the aerial view to get a feel.
Charlotte is more rural feeling with big houses on big lots.
Both schools are good and feed into the same high school.
I personally prefer Ferrisburgh, the next town south of Charlotte.
Are you going to be working? Where will you be commuting to?

Old 10-08-2012, 07:36 AM

I won't be working, so no commute for me. I am hoping it will be easy to meet people/mothers in the area. I am social and don't want to be isolated at the house with little ones. And my husband travels all over VT for his work.

I will have to relay the "no shooting, no dirt biking".

What is it that you like about Ferrisburgh? I had not considered this town, only bc of it being that much farther from Burlington. But I am certainly open to hearing people's thoughts on neighboring towns. Perhaps my focus has been too narrow.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:52 AM

I like Ferrisburgh because it seems more down to earth to me. Less "hoity toity". Housing in Shelburne and Charlotte is $$$$$ so it prices a lot of families out. As mentioned above there is not much diversity in Shelburne/Charlotte - there is much more economic diversity outside those towns which is more "real world" IMO. My friends that live there LOVE the Ferrisburgh Central School.
If I were you I'd also consider Hinesburg. Love that town. Very friendly. Good schools. Feeds into same HS as Charlotte/Shelburne.
Can you come up to visit?

Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 AM

PS - don't want to sound as though Shelburne and Charlotte are totally snooty - there are def. nice friendly people in both towns. I really like the towns, just not for me to personally live in. You may love it though!

Old 10-08-2012, 08:22 AM

Thank you. I appreciate the thoughts. We were up that way (Charlotte) for a week in August and we did drive around some in Shelburne, Charlotte, and Hinesburg a little bit. I just find that a hard way to get a "real sense" of what a place is like to live in. So all input is appreciated!

Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 PM

16,946 posts, read 22,257,781 times
Shooting isn't completely banned in Shelburne, but sorting out where you can, can leave your head spinning. Here's the ordinance: www.shelburnevt.org/html/Firearms%20ordinance.pdf

You might connect the dots however in that complex ordinance and see Shelburne is not a good town for a hunter. Charlotte isn't great either. Both towns are full of suburban sprawl and out of staters with largely anti-hunting attitudes. Despite the lack of woods there are a decent number of deer and some other game animals in the area, but sorting out the shooting ordinances and finding any land to hunt on is another story. Pretty much most of Chittenden County is this way. It's the only part of the state I never pick any units from when putting in for the antlerless deer permit lottery every year despite a large number always being available there.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 AM

130 posts, read 238,035 times
How about the other side of town looking at Essex, Jericho, Underhill etc? I've always found those areas a little more laid back, and yeh, a little less snooty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont