U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:02 PM

16,814 posts, read 29,033,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
...and what makes developers attracted to Vermont are the demographics that people moving here from down country bring.
I wonder if there has ever been a study (who wants to do one LOL) regarding NIMBYism and where people are from. My gut would tell me that most Vermonters who have lived here their whole lives would welcome a store like Walmart or Dollar General to their town whereas the people who are against it are those who come from somewhere else.
Hmmm...off to google.
Speaking only for Chester:

Many of the residents of Chester who are opposing the DG are not from away. The residents who are fighting it love the town and don't feel that a duplication of a chain which already exists 7.6 miles away is necessary. One thing I have noticed is that there is a community spirit in many Vermont towns and people will come out in support of one another. The residents who are in opposition are in favor of supporting their local merchants and keeping the money within the state of Vermont as opposed to seeing it head elsewhere.

This following sentiment has been echoed by many:
Quote:
Bryan on October 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm said:

I grew up in Chester, and it will always be home for me. Chesterís not the type of town for a Family Dollar or any other commercial chain store. Not having these types of businesses is what has always made Chester such a great place to live and allowed the town to keep its charm.
Dollar General’s Act 250 hearing set, public invited to seek ‘party status’ :

FWIW: Chester is Prettiest Painted Place in Vermont; makes Top 60 in nationals :

Quote:
Chester has been named among the Top 60 finalists of the Prettiest Painted Places competition, held by the Paint Quality Institute, and the only finalist from Vermont, making it the Prettiest Painted Place in the state. Two other Vermont towns applied: Bellows Falls and Stowe.
Situating a DG in town is counterintuitive when a community relies on heavily on looks and charm to bring in tourist dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 07:01 PM

3,328 posts, read 8,770,254 times
That may be true in Chester. I'm not familiar with this particular project. Every situation is different. Though I must say if a Dollar General type store was proposed for the town I grew up in in the northern half of the state (similar in size, similar in quaintness to Chester) my gut reaction would be heck no. But I do know quite a few folks in that town would welcome it.
I always say to people to vote with your pocketbook. if you don't like a particular store, restaurant, whatever, just don't go there. If enough people feel the same as you the place will go out of business. That's the way I feel about Wal-Mart. I don't shop there. Don't like the place at all. However, the place is always packed whenever I drive by it so obviously I'm in the minority!

Last edited by vter; 10-10-2012 at 07:20 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 10:57 PM

I agree with you and tend to do the same. If this is built and not profitable, DG closes and leaves behind a tacky scar. A Pyrrhic victory of sorts.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:10 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,712,221 times
Exactly. If you want to see what happens when towns court any and all box stores that end up not being economically viable, just drive down Washington St in Claremont NH. There is a Lowe's carcass, a Rite-Aid carcass (almost directly across from a brand new CVS). At least Claremont has a couple of roads where they can put the box stores without destroying the downtown or the Green. Chester just has that one long road and really can't tolerate blight. I may have said it before but I'll say it agan. Anyone who lives in Chester who has an urge to buy junk can drive the 8 miles to the Plaza in Springfield. If DG wants to cater to the ski crowd how about they put it way out of town towards Ludlow?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:22 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,984,137 times
Not all the skier/snowboard crowd who pass thru Chester head up to Ludlow/Okemo. Some keep going on Rt 11 heading to Magic and Bromley so geographically it's obvious from the company's perspective why Chester is the preferred location.

Our country is built on the free enterprise system, you might love it or hate it, it is what it is. The store passed muster thru the Chester's DRB. They have every right to build as long as they satisfy the conditions of the permit whether you want it or not. I'm sure the folks of Chester will not mind the addition to their tax base. Hopefully, the folks who are against the DG store will continue to support the local shops but I bet some will shop at the discount store.

Last May I spent a few days helping a friends son with some renovations of their fixer-upper he bought in Andover, 10 miles south of Ludlow. We ended up driving to Claremont to buy a bunch of lumber. It was sad to see the dead Lowes's. We were pretty much the only customers at the nearby Home Depot. Chatted with the HD staff who advised that the Lowe's was only open for 2 years and their store wasn't doing all that great. They felt lucky to have jobs and blamed the problem on the housing recession.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Exactly. If you want to see what happens when towns court any and all box stores that end up not being economically viable, just drive down Washington St in Claremont NH. There is a Lowe's carcass, a Rite-Aid carcass (almost directly across from a brand new CVS). At least Claremont has a couple of roads where they can put the box stores without destroying the downtown or the Green. Chester just has that one long road and really can't tolerate blight. I may have said it before but I'll say it agan. Anyone who lives in Chester who has an urge to buy junk can drive the 8 miles to the Plaza in Springfield. If DG wants to cater to the ski crowd how about they put it way out of town towards Ludlow?
I've seen the wreckage in Claremont firsthand, which is why I am so vehemently opposed to this happening in Chester.

Do any of the ski towns have a DG or other chain dollar store?

Speaking solely of my dollar store experience on LI, which seems to follow along the same line as Vermont -- 'nice' areas, tourist towns, etc., do not have dollar stores, BUT dollar stores can be found in adjacent communities with high traffic. That's why I believe DG eyed Chester. DG wasn't seeing the tourists stopping by the Springfield DG on their way to Okemo. (Most folks I know from NY use I-91 exit 6 for Ludlow, not 7.)

Heaven forbid DG consider repurposing an older building.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Not all the skier/snowboard crowd who pass thru Chester head up to Ludlow/Okemo. Some keep going on Rt 11 heading to Magic and Bromley so geographically it's obvious from the company's perspective why Chester is the preferred location.

Our country is built on the free enterprise system, you might love it or hate it, it is what it is. The store passed muster thru the Chester's DRB. They have every right to build as long as they satisfy the conditions of the permit whether you want it or not. I'm sure the folks of Chester will not mind the addition to their tax base. Hopefully, the folks who are against the DG store will continue to support the local shops but I bet some will shop at the discount store.
Plenty of the NY & NJ crowd heading to Bromley come by way of NYS and head east into VT as opposed to heading to the eastern side of VT and heading west. Not to say no one goes west on 11; it's a rather small number. CT & MA tourists are a coin flip, really depends on which side of their state they are coming from.

I have nothing against free enterprise, and believe a property owner has a right to develop his/her land, but I also feel they have a responsibility to their community to not create potential blight. Aesthetics are at play here. Had it been situated closer to the outskirts of town, before the curve somewhere near the former Curtis's BBQ/Putney Pasta, or on 11 west of the armory, I believe fewer people would have opposed it.

FWIW many people in Chester are opposed to the project and have formed the group, Smart Growth Chester. We welcome new additions to the tax base, but won't sell Chester's soul for pieces of silver.

I am waiting to learn how to go about getting party status on the ACT 250, but don't know if I can as a non resident property owner. It's times like this when it can be a little frustrating having to wait for the day to make the full transition to VT resident.

Quote:
Last May I spent a few days helping a friends son with some renovations of their fixer-upper he bought in Andover, 10 miles south of Ludlow. We ended up driving to Claremont to buy a bunch of lumber. It was sad to see the dead Lowes's. We were pretty much the only customers at the nearby Home Depot. Chatted with the HD staff who advised that the Lowe's was only open for 2 years and their store wasn't doing all that great. They felt lucky to have jobs and blamed the problem on the housing recession.
I'm on the Chester/Andover border, but usually head to LaValley in Ludlow for lumber to save time and fuel.

On LI, HD came in and set up stores that were usually 10+/- miles apart from one another. Lowes then built (like they did in Claremont) within a mile or so of and HD. Competitive strategy, especially when HD here had become dumpy and employees avoided customers. Population-wise, there are plenty of us to support both, but HD did take a beating in a couple of locations. One went out, and again, like in Claremont, left a huge, empty building.

The housing recession has put the hurt on a number of businesses and as we see in NH, the big guys are just as likely to have problems.

I know I refer to LI a lot; I try to place things into that with which I am familiar. LI is the poster child for a lot of bad zoning and building decisions. If anything, I am not trying to say things are done better here or there. I am merely asking people to realize that a bad decision can lead to an area looking more like LI and less like VT. I want to see VT prosper.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:14 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,526,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I agree with you and tend to do the same. If this is built and not profitable, DG closes and leaves behind a tacky scar. A Pyrrhic victory of sorts.
This cant be stressed enough. The DG is probably going to go at some point, but the legacy it leaves behind is that the zoning has been changed. A beautiful, even if nondescript piece of the earth is forever ruined forever. Its selfish and irresponsible. If we had to put a security deposit on the earth, Mother Nature would be suing us in court for egregious damages to her property.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,413,396 times
Vermont? Nine months of winter and 3 of damn poor sledding.........................

Old 10-15-2012, 10:05 PM

5,773 posts, read 12,303,523 times
A little late to this thread, but: Just what exactly does Dollar General intend to sell to the ski crowd? I don't think they are even a minute consideration for this type of franchise. It's the locals they're aiming for. Our new one will be open in a few weeks here in North Troy. I could do just fine without it, but I know plenty of folks that will have a use for the place. It's actually well situated in what I consider to be the ugliest part of town.

On the other hand, it's going to hurt business at our one local mom & pop. The same goods like bread and milk will be available for less - canned goods too. It's going to be tough on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont