Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Native New Englander here (MA), and I am a bit embarrassed to admit that although I grew up in a nearby state I am fairly uninformed about Vermont. Growing up I visited New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut and all the other New England states with the exception of Vermont. However, I do remember driving through the state one time many moons ago. My only memory is that it was green!
I am looking at possible vacation/retirement locations and your state caught my eye. What is life like there on a daily basis? Are taxes high? Is there a good quality of life? How is the economy? Have had the privilege of living many places in the US, but New England is starting to tug on my heart strings again so I'm contemplating the possibility of returning. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 10:53 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Hi everyone! Native New Englander here (MA), and I am a bit embarrassed to admit that although I grew up in a nearby state I am fairly uninformed about Vermont. Growing up I visited New Hampshire, Maine, Connecticut and all the other New England states with the exception of Vermont. However, I do remember driving through the state one time many moons ago. My only memory is that it was green!
I am looking at possible vacation/retirement locations and your state caught my eye. What is life like there on a daily basis? Are taxes high? Is there a good quality of life? How is the economy? Have had the privilege of living many places in the US, but New England is starting to tug on my heart strings again so I'm contemplating the possibility of returning. Thanks!
Are you talking from a retired standpoint or a working standpoint? I'm not retired so I can't offer first hand experience. As far as everyday life, I find life here not much different than anywhere I have lived. What I mean by this is everywhere I have ever lived, I wanted to live there and I enjoyed life wherever I was. I think people often times stay in vacation mode whenever they think an area of the country would be great to live in. If New England is what you like, then Vermont is New England. The state is safe compared to most others, but we are seeing an increase in crime mostly because of more widespread drug use (you will find this anywhere as well). The economy in Vermont is small. We are the second least populated state. Unemployment is low, but the majority of jobs are geared toward the service industry (tourism is our number one industry) and that translates to lower waged jobs. Taxes are high in the state. The state ranks in the top five highest taxed states in the country. With our new state health plan that is going into effect soon, taxes most likely will be increasing for most. If you are looking at a place for retirement and you are concerned about finances, there are several other options. Vermont has estate taxes, they are one of the few states that taxes social security, most pensions are taxable. From a tax standpoint Vermont last year was the eighth worst state to retire. If money is of little concern, Vermont is second to none. If you will be still working, if you have a skill or profession that will give you a comfortable income, it's worthy of consideration. Don't move without a job first. I would also plan a visit, but you probably thought of that.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:23 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
"Have had the privilege of living many places in the US, but New England is starting to tug on my heart strings again so I'm contemplating the possibility of returning."

Have you considered therapy? I think they have pills for that...
68vette covered it pretty well.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:57 AM

Thanks for the information 68vette! I appreciate your feedback. I am still working, but retirement is around the corner! @Harry, maybe you're right and I may need therapy! Lol! I told myself I would never go back to the New England area when I left nearly 20 years ago. Interesting how one's view can change over time.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:07 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
It depends on where you are in VT, but the basics stay the same: high taxes, low pay, expensive real estate. A place like Burlington or thereabouts really won't be any different than anywhere else. Urban and suburban sprawl, traffic congested at times in narrow streets not designed for modern automobiles, etc. Parts of the Northeast Kingdom are much more wilderness in character, or at least real rural. Southern VT is an in between. Rural areas, some smaller cities that can have surprisingly bad traffic, etc.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It depends on where you are in VT, but the basics stay the same: high taxes, low pay, expensive real estate. A place like Burlington or thereabouts really won't be any different than anywhere else. Urban and suburban sprawl, traffic congested at times in narrow streets not designed for modern automobiles, etc. Parts of the Northeast Kingdom are much more wilderness in character, or at least real rural. Southern VT is an in between. Rural areas, some smaller cities that can have surprisingly bad traffic, etc.
arctichomesteader, I noticed that you are planning to relocate to AK? How long have you lived in VT and why are you moving, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 10-09-2012, 04:10 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
arctichomesteader, I noticed that you are planning to relocate to AK? How long have you lived in VT and why are you moving, if you don't mind me asking?
I've been here my whole life. Alaska looks nice because of Vermont's high taxes, expensive real estate, poor economy, increasing immigration of out of staters with attitudes I detest, and the development of the woods into suburban sprawl.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:47 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I've been here my whole life. Alaska looks nice because of Vermont's high taxes, expensive real estate, poor economy, increasing immigration of out of staters with attitudes I detest, and the development of the woods into suburban sprawl.

So sad. Developers are our modern day biblical plague. "If contains any beauty, we must destroy it"
We moved to Vermont to escape their assault on the PA-NJ-NY-DE area.
The people of VT are to be commended for fighting this filth as long as they have, but in the end, VT is like anywhere else . . . $$$$$$ always wins.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:10 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
...and what makes developers attracted to Vermont are the demographics that people moving here from down country bring.
I wonder if there has ever been a study (who wants to do one LOL) regarding NIMBYism and where people are from. My gut would tell me that most Vermonters who have lived here their whole lives would welcome a store like Walmart or Dollar General to their town whereas the people who are against it are those who come from somewhere else.
Hmmm...off to google.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:44 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
...and what makes developers attracted to Vermont are the demographics that people moving here from down country bring.
I wonder if there has ever been a study (who wants to do one LOL) regarding NIMBYism and where people are from. My gut would tell me that most Vermonters who have lived here their whole lives would welcome a store like Walmart or Dollar General to their town whereas the people who are against it are those who come from somewhere else.
Hmmm...off to google.

I would agree. At least we put our money where our mouths were first, before invading VT.
We spent lots of our time and money fighting WAL*MART and scummy developers in our state, before flying the white flag and moving to VT. Given what Ive seen, I can tell you once the lid is off the box, there is no return. In a few decades you wonder if being able to get a donut and #3 T-shirt close by was worth it, and usually the answer is a resounding "No"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont