U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 06:08 AM

166 posts, read 385,694 times

Advertisements

This winter is not looking good. Luckily I have natural gas in Burlington but have many friends and family that use heating oil. A wood stove is the way to go with these forecasted prices. Hopefully everyone stays warm this winter!

U.S. households that use heating oil will face record prices this winter as weather forecasters predict colder temperatures in the Northeast that will drive up demand, according to a government report.

The Energy Information Administration, which tracks and analyzes energy data, projects households will spend 19 percent more on average for heating oil and 15 percent more for natural gas from Oct. 1 to March 31, the period covered in its short- term energy and winter fuels outlook released today.

U.S. distillate fuel supplies are unusually tight as winter approaches, which means consumers, particularly in the Northeast, probably will pay record-high prices for heating oil, the Energy Information Administration said in its This Week in Petroleum Report.[LEFT]
Read more: http://community.nasdaq.com/News/201...#ixzz29BF6qwoY
[/LEFT]

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...winter-returns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 07:03 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,595,481 times
Hopefully you can rely once again on Venezuela to make home heating oil within financial reach of the average American citizen.

This should be the job of the U.S. to assist in subsidies since the government just loves to assist other countries with their economic woes instead of assisting hard working citizens with exorbitant oil prices.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:31 AM

Lets keep this on topic please.. Personally, I rely on the Canadians for their cheap natural gas. Most Vermonters don't though and its going to be a tough winter.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:11 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,056,956 times
We planned ahead and locked in on a low budget plan. We were very luckey to jump on this one quick. Some poeple hold out thinking the price will go lower than what many companies offer for a plan.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:18 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,595,481 times
My post was directly related to the OP's statement.
Your personal opinion that it's off topic is asinine.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:20 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,980,869 times
I heat by propane now but when I heated with oil it was alway a crap shoot whether to get in early in the spring or wait. I think the psychi of those of us with limited budgets have a hard time spending money if we can delay it.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:10 PM

5,773 posts, read 12,297,386 times
We heat our home primarily with wood. I bought 8 cords this year instead of the usual 6 thinking I'd get a partial leg up on next winter. We cut it awfully close last year with 6, so that was also a factor. Cut, split & delivered back in April was $165 a cord. I still have to buy a hundred gals. of oil for backup. Planning around $400 for that, maybe a little more. I think it would just about kill us to heat our 100 year-old house with just oil these days.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:42 AM

16,936 posts, read 22,206,840 times
Oil isn't going to get truly cheap again. The answer is to simply stop using it for heating, or minimize its use to being just a backup.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:02 AM

You can get a permit to harvest cord wood in the GMNF (Green Mountain National Forest). $20 for the permit for 2 cords with a maximum of 10. Link is outdated but I believe its still valid. I wonder how many permits they issue? If you dont mind the labor $20 for up to 10 cords of wood is a bargain.

For Immediate Release
Monday, August 1, 2011
$20.00 FIREWOOD PERMITS ARE AVAILABLE ON THE GMNF
RUTLAND, VT. U.S. Forest Service officials in Vermont are reminding the public they can purchase firewood permits should they be interested in gathering cord wood for heating season.
In order to harvest firewood from the Green Mountain National Forest, people must first purchase a firewood removal permit (for a minimum charge of $20 for 2 cords) at one of the Forest Service offices located in Rutland, Middlebury, Manchester Center or Rochester, Vermont. The maximum volume of firewood that can be taken by a permit holder in a calendar year is 10 cords.
Permit holders are only allowed to cut trees that are already dead and down — standing trees (live or dead) may not be cut. Firewood permits must be in the permittee’s possession while harvesting and transporting products. Permit sales by the Green Mountain National Forest are final and are not subject to refund or transferable. People are encouraged to be mindful of their surroundings, road traffic and to use extreme caution when operating mechanized equipment.
U.S. FOREST SERVICE OFFICES IN VERMONT:
Rutland — Forest Supervisor’s Office — 231 North Main Street, Rutland, VT — 802-747-6700 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 802-747-6700 end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Manchester — Ranger Station — 2538 Depot Street, Manchester Center, VT — 802-362-2307
Middlebury — Ranger Station — 1007 Route 7 South, Middlebury, VT — 802-388-4362
Rochester — Ranger Station — 99 Ranger Road, Rochester, VT — 802-767-4261

Firewood permits available for gathering cordwood the Green Mountain National Forest

Old 10-14-2012, 06:06 AM

16,936 posts, read 22,206,840 times
The state also gives out permits for some of its state forests (but it's a little more complex than the USFS program).

There's also always a lot of free firewood along the roads after every bad storm. Most people want to get rid of the big limbs or trees that fall. A lot of natural fuel goes to waste every year in this state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont