U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 12:11 PM

33 posts, read 168,802 times

Advertisements

I've read through many posts saying that VT is a fantastic place to raise kids. I'm from out of state and I'm considering a move to VT. I have 3 kids from 2 to 7 y.o. I'm from an area in PA that has a million and one structured sports, play groups, and moms clubs to chose from, as ridiculous as that is, and I realize that VT is far from that, so please introduce me to what my kids will benefit from growing up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 12:44 PM

214 posts, read 920,282 times
I just moved to the NYC metro area after coming from Burlington. I'm young and single and wouldn't really consider living in Vermont now, but if jobs are around, I might consider moving back when I have a family.

I think a lot of what makes VT a good place to raise a family has to do with a lot of the intangibles. One clear example that sticks out to me is the difference just seeing kids walk around the malls here and in VT. They seem much more simple and "down to earth" in VT, while I've noticed that kids here tend to want to keep up with appearances. There are also a bunch of pretty good schools in VT. Essex and South Burlington are definitely competitive with other good schools districts in my area now, but it doesn't seem like the kids are into the type of die-hard college admissions frenzy as down here.

I also find Vermonters, at least the ones around the bigger towns such as Burlington, Middlebury, and Montpelier, to be very progressive and educated, at least compared to where I am now. All this in a very chill atmosphere.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:59 PM

3,328 posts, read 8,764,751 times
There are organized sports in most Vermont towns (well, the larger ones anyway). Some are competitive, some are not.
Kids here have the opportunity to play outdoors 365 days of the year. I grew up outside playing on our land in the summer and skiing and snowmobiling in the winter. No video games, cable tv etc.
The above poster also hit the nail on the head - it's very laid back here, and you see that at every age level.
The clean air, the abundant outdoor activities, good schools, and laid-back atmosphere make this a great place IMO.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:39 PM

33 posts, read 168,802 times
aaaaah... when you talk like that it just makes me want to get up there and relaaaaaaaax. I'm so tired of this pace.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:34 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,717,157 times
The school my son is in now is 100x better than the one in NY. I actually think the teachers CARE in this new school. The old attitude was one of **** you. It was the bad NY attitude at it's worst.

I am finding it hard to locate something for my son to be in, however, apart from scouts and sports (we disapprove of the first and he's not into the second). I am looking more toward 4H when they get started up here (waiting to hear from them.).

A lot of our problem is only having one car, not 'lack of things' to do with kids. Every weekend we can go to a great park. Every night we WALK on our road down to the local park and see nature, breath clean air, or just enjoy the views from our road. (We overlook a pretty river and a golf course).

People seem less materialistic here (apart from the tourists who are everywhere). I don't feel like I have to make excuses for our modest lifestyle like in NY.

I CAN see kids feeling isolated in a town as small as ours but I don't plan on being here forever. I'd like to live in a bigger place once he's a teen so he doesn't wind up doing 'bad things' to entertain himself.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:02 PM

155 posts, read 554,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McUnG View Post
aaaaah... when you talk like that it just makes me want to get up there and relaaaaaaaax. I'm so tired of this pace.
This is our boat too. We are sooooooooo tired of being stuck here in the Baltimore, Md area. It was great before we had kids but as soon as we started having a family we started to see everything wrong with it and can not wait to get out of here.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:05 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,183,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McUnG View Post
I've read through many posts saying that VT is a fantastic place to raise kids. I'm from out of state and I'm considering a move to VT. I have 3 kids from 2 to 7 y.o. I'm from an area in PA that has a million and one structured sports, play groups, and moms clubs to chose from, as ridiculous as that is, and I realize that VT is far from that, so please introduce me to what my kids will benefit from growing up there.
Excatly because all those things aren't in VT. Kids can still be kids, find their own entertainment, play outside in woods, and do normal stuff.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:24 AM

3 posts, read 14,287 times
Question unrest in Baltimore, need specifics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermont08 View Post
This is our boat too. We are sooooooooo tired of being stuck here in the Baltimore, Md area. It was great before we had kids but as soon as we started having a family we started to see everything wrong with it and can not wait to get out of here.
Hi there, could you be more specific as to what faults you see in that area? What part of the area do you live in, city, suburb or country areas? What gives you such displeasure? Curious, thanks

Old 10-10-2007, 09:17 AM

155 posts, read 554,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmac View Post
Hi there, could you be more specific as to what faults you see in that area? What part of the area do you live in, city, suburb or country areas? What gives you such displeasure? Curious, thanks
We live in Owings Mills, Md which is about 20 min. north of the city. What brings us such displeasure.....just about everything. Things such as lack of personal safety(who want to live in or near the murder capital of the usa), lack of clean natural areas/parks and playgrounds for our children, horrid schools (not talking about just low test scores here, huge class sizes, all the out of control kids, no safety at all since guns and other weapons are showing up in even lower elm. school), high cost of living for no reason. To the point that my husband and I know we will never be able to buy even a modest single family home with a yard for our kids.

I can see why Burlington, VT area has a somewhat high(it is still less then here) cost of living. Esp. after our visit up there in June. Look at all you and your family will be getting for that money. Safety, peace of mind, clean air and green spaces, wonderful lake and beach area, nice schools (in South Burlington, Essex & Essex Junction, Shelburne, Hinesburg..) housing still within reason in most areas, natural and earth friendly family lifestyles are welcomed. I could go on and on. There are also tons of things to do with kids in the Burlington area as well as nice sports if your kids are into that, yoga too(for kids and adults at evolution yoga), there are also art classes at the art center, music and dance, organic pick your own type farms and neat factory tours, you just have to look around. Also you can find out a lot of things by getting Kids VT to mail you there kids news/info. Just email them and they will mail you a copy for free. We got one sent to us after our trip there in June.

Last edited by vermont08; 10-10-2007 at 10:32 AM..

Old 11-02-2007, 05:10 AM

36 posts, read 190,840 times
Vermont is good for kids but not necessarily great. We live in Ludlow and are planning a move west for all the reasons you have mentioned above. The local school here in Ludlow is really good. Nice people, plenty of activities, field trips, etc. The kids have the regular sports (soccer, softball, etc) and swimming lessons, skiing, drama, etc. The town itself is nice but in winter the population soars as we are a ski town (Okemo). Kids can walk the streets in town safely.

BTW - we are still trying to sell our 4 bedroom house here if anyone is interested.
We are moving because we can't afford to live here anymore. Our taxes are a little over 3k and we are a one income family with four children. If you can afford it, Vermont is a nice place to raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or