U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 07:18 PM

5,772 posts, read 12,295,466 times

Advertisements

I don't know the legal answer re. liability and I've never owned a rental property. But lets assume that a mouse or squirrel chewed through the wires of an existing in-house line on the user's side of the interface. In the case of a homeowner it's clear that the homeowner would be on the hook for any repairs. If we're talking about a rental unit I would think the landlord to be responsible unless it was a pet mouse that got out of its cage or something weird like that. I'm sure there are a hundred different scenarios with different results. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 07:19 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,897,161 times
Cloven, you are right. The poster on iBrattleboro was, indeed, yours truly.

Frugal Yankee and Square Peg, I did get to speak with my property manager. He said the property company would take responsibility if anything went wrong with an inside phone problem, as they provide a working phone line. So I don't have to worry about the cost of on-site visits or pay the extra $5.95 "insurance" every month to avoid it.

I may go with Fairpoint after all. They are less expensive, their internet is faster (although I don't know if that extra speed makes a substantive difference) and, which I suspect but still have to confirm, they can set me up much more quickly than Sovernet can. A long wait time to get set up might be a deal-breaker, since I need my service ASAP. At the same time, though, if Sovernet is backed up, it can mean that they are in demand! And if they are in demand, it would be because they are very good. Or because Fairpoint is very bad.

Last edited by arel; 10-25-2012 at 08:20 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 PM

5,772 posts, read 12,295,466 times
Or that Sovernet is pretty small, comparatively.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:21 PM

That, too.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:32 PM

72 posts, read 85,290 times
Good luck, arel. When I moved in in early October, it took me 10 days to get a phone number and the landline + internet turned back on after the prev. owner had cancelled their Fairpoint service No idea why it took 10 days; I had to make numerous calls outside in the rain to customer service because my cell didn't work inside the house. Since my goods were all in transit, I was using a rotary-dial phone inside, and none of Fairpoint's phone trees work with a rotary phone.

Even after they resolved the mysterious connection issue (they claimed the line was working) and with a new touch-tone phone, it still took several more days for me to be able to dial any long-distance numbers because [inexplicable].

Old 10-29-2012, 12:53 PM

400 posts, read 723,939 times
I have fairpoint. Its true that when they changed over from the verizon billing system to their own the whole operation went off the rails for a time. I personally didn't have any problems at the time (except when I called to inquire about DSL availability the phone support line was busy all the time) but I've heard enough stories to know I may have been an exception at the time.

They rolled out DSL to my area in Julyish 2011 which I immediately signed up for. I've had no issues with it really, minus one week where I was getting slightly higher pings during the evening than I expected. But I never had any speed issues. That said, the fiber backhaul is located maybe 200 feet from my house...it would be pretty hard for my connection to be screwed up. A lot of the connection can depend on the quality and length of that last link. But every provider has its own issues with this.

While the service itself is fine, their website used for billing is just crap. For awhile I was using it with manual pay with credit card and then auto pay with credit card. Not only was the navigation pretty cryptic, but I had a whole host of problems that reps weren't really able to resolve and ultimately determined it just didn't work. Payments were not being made and I wasn't getting any warnings of this so it was 3 months overdue at one point before I finally received a mail communication. I probably should have been more diligent about checking the bill was paid on my side but the website did work for awhile so I had no reason to suspect it would stop working. So now I just use my bank's online bill pay to pay that bill. While this website was horrible, I had comcast at another apartment once and their phone billing and support were seemingly criminal sometimes so my expectations here were already pretty low.

Anyway, I gather that you can cancel in the first month for whatever reason with no penalty even with a contract. For my part I never even looked up the cancel stipulations, it was this or dial up so I would be willing to put up with a lot of crap even in service quality and probably still would not cancel. Please don't tell fairpoint that though. But...I would think it would be possible to just pay the non contract rate and then you could cancel whenever you wanted to couldn't you?

Regarding speeds...cable internet providers make a big deal out of their burst data rates and the like but the truth is most web servers are going to cap out way before that point anyway. If you downloaded a lot of massive files pretty regularly you might want the faster rate. I have the 15...but I don't need it. I never have any buffering or anything even running HD content off of netflix or HBO Go and youtube and the like. I'm 90% sure I wouldn't even with the 7mb package which is a decent bit cheaper but I'd have to look up the bandwidth requirements for HD video again to be sure. I think that HD video only needs 3-4MB though.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:16 PM

Well, thanks to Hurricane Sandy, I have longer to decide. Probably a LOT longer. I spoke to someone at Sovernet today and he said they normally could set me up in 7-15 days, but in view of the storm, it would be a lot longer than that. I haven't called Fairpoint yet about set-up time, but I would think the storm would lengthen their set-up time, too.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:46 AM

I just spoke to Sovernet again. They can provide internet up to 32 or so megs, and it is a small thing to upgrade during the contract. They just have to turn a knob. I had believed they could only offer up to 8 megs, but I was mistaken. So I can start at 5 megs and upgrade if I need to. And I might not need to.

So I have chosen to go with Sovernet. I feel safer working with a company that is local, and also more reputable than Fairpoint. The only bad thing is that it will take me longer to have my service installed than it would have if I had gone with Fairpoint. 7-15 days, as opposed to about 3 or 4. That means some potential lost business. But I'm hoping that it will be worth it, both in terms of cost and in terms of customer experience.

At least Superstorm Sandy hasn't extended the wait, as I had feared.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.

Regarding the storm, we certainly dodged a bullet up here.

At the same time, many of us here in Vermont are originally from the mid-Atlantic region, especially New York and New Jersey. So we have personal ties to the suffering that is going on there now.

NYC is my hometown and I have friends and acquaintances there. I even knew someone who lives in Breezy Point, where they lost over a hundred houses to fire. I heard him on TV and he said he was able to save his house.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:55 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,665,639 times
A quick history on Fairpoint.

They bought the fixed line business throughout New England from Verizon. The borrowed up the kazoo to do so.

Of course, fixed line is a dying business, so they are struggling to generate cash flow to pay the debt.

As a result, no money gets put into maintaining infrastructure, upgrading, or service calls which are coming out of their product.

This has made their service unreliable, and subject to lengthy response times to get repairs completed.

What they promise, and what they deliver, are two different things.

As you have discovered, the options are not good either. Verizon promised me high speed lines, but them realized they don't have the infrastructure to support them. I ended up running a T-1 line for 75 miles (oddly enough over Verizon lines) as i had to have high speed, reliable service, but it was costly.

Your choice is picking the best of the bad, lowering your expectations, and never leaving yourself in a position where, if your service is down for a few days, that your business is fatally wounded. Just understand that these things are going to happen with Fairpoint, and roll with it. It's Vermont. We get to it when we get to it.

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I want to be with a company that is local, and that is more reputable than Fairpoint.

I signed the contract with Sovernet this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont