Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 10:58 AM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times

Advertisements

I don't think the problem is new. I noticed it years ago, and it was always worse when the spray from cars and trucks had left schmutz on the windshield. That is one reason I switched to driving a van, even with the reduced gas mileage. Once you get about five feet off the road or more, it is all far less of an issue. The 18 wheelers are lucky in their perch above the dirt and lights.

There are tricks to use when this happens -
Close one eye until the jerk is gone. That way the other eye can still see in the dark immediately after his passing.
Shift your body and head so that the light is hidden behind the windshield pillar.
Make sure the windshield has a minimum of dirt on it. Using Rain-X can help some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 02:33 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We arrived in Vermont tonight after dark. All of the vehicles had their high beams on and didn't lower them when they were approaching us. Isn't this the law to switch to low beams when there is oncoming traffic in Vermont? And if not, what happened to common courtesy? I know people think they need their high beams to avoid animals in the road, but the glare of an oncoming vehicle's high beams actually makes it more difficult to see animals. I guess we should just set our lights on high beams and not turn them down to oncoming traffic too, huh?
I've noticed that since I moved to Maine, as well. LOTS of people drive with their high beams on and no, it's not because the lights are brigther or they sit higher, they actually have their high beams on and blind everyone coming the other way. Even in town! It is rude, you are right.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
In our region, we quickly flash our high beams to remind a car to turn theirs low. If the car has high beams on, it will usually lower it's beams. If the car has low beams on (but they are high or bright), they will quickly flash their high beams to say "I have my low beams on, see." No vehicle responded to our quick flash of the high beams to remind them they were blinding us.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:23 AM

819 posts, read 1,494,972 times
It is fairly obvious that people drive around with their high beams on and generally flip them down only when it occurs to them. The point about salt covered lens covers is undersaqndable but misguided. High beams aren't brighter, just aimed differently.

When I come across someone who is blinding me, they may get my high beams back along with my 2 factory fogs and 4 auxillary fogs depending on what vehicle I am in. Trust me, they will see the backs of their retinas.....then again, they will probably crash into me. Usually a blip of all the lights gets the point across.

I don't think people do it on purpose overall, they just don't think about it.

Dark roads don't give you the right to be a d-bag........

Old 11-12-2012, 07:30 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,266,886 times
I really don't know where in VT you drive because I don't seem to notice this LOL. People flip their lights down when oncoming traffic approaches. If you flash your lights they either dim or flash back But then again I don't drive a lot at night. Maybe if it were a daily occurrence I would notice it more.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times
I agree with several posters like Hopes, many drive with their brights on but dim them when approaching an oncoming vehicle or respond positively when checked. Around here it does increase abit on the negetive during the tourist seasons but I think that is simply a result of tourists who have no clue where they are going, fear rural roads or not used to roads with curves and many potholes.

For me, not a big deal. Driving around Vermont is a pleasure when compared to places like Boston.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:08 PM

130 posts, read 279,034 times
I thought it was just me. It's everywhere here and very annoying.

Don't even get me started on failing to use signals.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:38 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,598 times
I started working nights a year ago and thought it was horrible! The oncomers I can't do anything but the people behind me (usually tall trucks) I rotate me side mirrors to shine it back at them then pull over. That bright light will definitely give one a migraine!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 AM

819 posts, read 1,494,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanstone1 View Post
I started working nights a year ago and thought it was horrible! The oncomers I can't do anything but the people behind me (usually tall trucks) I rotate me side mirrors to shine it back at them then pull over. That bright light will definitely give one a migraine!

In some of my more juvinile moments I handle the high beams from the rear differently.
In my large truck that I use for towing, if someone feels like blinding me from behind, I have been known to flip the toggle switch for my auxillary lights I use for lining up my hitch in the dark......one fo those lights is aimed a little high to see the trailer etc. that usually makes my point.

As for the tall truck issue, I get it from the other side. My large truck is obviously one of the offenders just based on its design. Even my regular lights are high when trailing a sedan. Sometimes those people get mad, pull over and then drill me with high beams......it is what it is. One on-coming car flashed me the other night thinking I had high beams on, then I actually hit the high beams and they realized I wasn't doing anything on purpose etc. and waved......which is rare.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM

400 posts, read 849,632 times
Its hard to turn high beams on and off all the time while you're holding a beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont