Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 03:41 PM

129 posts, read 234,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
There is a Chipotle in South Burlington....does that count? just kidding.
I really think you'll have a hard time finding it. There are very few mexican restaurants here and you've tried the "big names". There is also Madera in Burlington.
Madera's Restaurante Mexicano & Cantina!
I would suggest posting this query on Chowhound - tons of foodies on there and they might be able to point you to some obscure places.
Thanks, we are going to try Madera's. It looks promising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
I think Hopes pretty much nailed it......

My co-workers from the West Coast claim the same issue, and I usually ask them why in the hell they think they should find authentic Mexican in New England?

It isn't like Mexicans cross the border with the mantra of "....we're running and we ain't stopping until we hit Vermont!!!" So it isn't what you would call a "hotbed" of Mexican activity.

And for the record I wouldn't expect a good bowl of New England Clam Chowder in El Paso either.....
If I want some traditional Mexican, I'll make it myself.
Well you know I just thought that maybe somewhere in this entire state it was possible that there was an authentic Mexican place, and it was worth asking around...

Old 11-17-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
The Mad Taco is pretty good. Not sit down, and I wouldn't call it authentic. I haven't been to the one in Montpelier, but I think the owner hangs out there, as opposed to the one in Waitsfield.
We tried The Mad Taco. It was okay but 30 bucks to feed two people when its a "grab your food and find a table" kind of place means we won't be going back.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:08 PM

130 posts, read 279,054 times
Aztlan Foods in Waterbury do a mean burrito, and yes, totally authentic. Not dinner, but still... I can't believe it took me years to find this place but now we go there weekly. Watch out for the Bombero. It's HOT but quite amazing. It's worth a trip wherever you are as you can always follow up with afternoon coffee at the station.

Ana, our friend also does farmer's markets in Randolph and Chelsea and she makes food from her home town Tepecoacuilco, in Guerrero. Very basic home cooking and delicious.

Last edited by Dippylou; 11-18-2012 at 12:33 PM..

Old 11-19-2012, 03:30 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmILost View Post
Well you know I just thought that maybe somewhere in this entire state it was possible that there was an authentic Mexican place, and it was worth asking around...
Absolutely, everything is worth asking.

I've obviously heard the line of questioning before from other folks who are new to New England. It just makes me giggle a little.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:16 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,215 times
If you find one, surely let us all know. I love trying authentic cuisines from other countries. We went to Montreal once and went to an authentic chinese restraunt. The Asian couple who recomended it said it was "just like Hong Kong" and it was great! different from your average "Chinese " place for sure, but quite an experience. They were nice enough to produce forks after food started flying from our chop stick attempts.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:54 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,897 times
How about Three Stones in Brattleboro? It's technically "Mayan," but they have empanadas, tamales, and when I was there they had enchilada and chicken mole specials. It does seem that it may be far from where you're located, though.

Our Menu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont