Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 08:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Can you wait until the person has officially moved here to buy the car?
I wish. It would be impossible to get back and forth to work, to the grocery store, etc. without a car.

As you know, rural Vermont doesn't have public transportation.

Last edited by Hopes; 11-18-2012 at 08:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:47 AM

662 posts, read 1,259,998 times
Quote:
Anyone can buy a car in Vermont regardless of where you live. You just can't register a car in Vermont if you don't live there. You register a car in the state of your official residence. Like mentioned above, you can buy a car in Vermont, drive it back to PA and register it there. Second home owners can buy cars here but they register them in their home state.
Can you wait until the person has officially moved here to buy the car?
Not true,I've personally gone to the DMV for guys out of state that wanted VT plates three times.

The lady hands me the plates and says the renewal will go to the address on the registration.

VT makes it so easy plenty of out of state people register their vehicles here.

Any motorcycle 15 years old doesn't even need a title.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
The fellow who owns the house across the road from me lives in the D.C. area and stays at his 2nd home here about 1-3 months out of the year. He keeps a car here and it has VT plates. Sorry, he's not here in VT right now. Otherwise, I'd ask him.
That's good to know. I suspected people with second homes might have cars registered in Vermont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
With potholes the size of bathtubs and the state's excessive use of road salt, a car's life expectancy is greatly shortened here.
I'm sure my state out does Vermont in this regard. I was impressed with Vermont's roads. I don't recall seeing one pothole in Vermont. They are everywhere here.

Quote:
Here it the "moving to Vermont" info on the DMV registry.

Moving To Vermont | Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
Thanks!

Old 11-18-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
Not true,I've personally gone to the DMV for guys out of state that wanted VT plates three times.

The lady hands me the plates and says the renewal will go to the address on the registration.

VT makes it so easy plenty of out of state people register their vehicles here.

Any motorcycle 15 years old doesn't even need a title.
What address was used on the registration? Vermont address or out of state address?

You went in their place? They didn't need to be present at the DMV?

Does that mean I can go to the DMV for him if he is busy working?

Old 11-18-2012, 08:53 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times
Of course you don't need a license to buy a car. To REGISTER it you do. And you need a Vermont one. At least according to the DMV website and the application form.
In order to obtain a Vermont Drivers License you need to provide 2 proofs of residency. Again, according to the link above.
But then again maybe I don't know what I'm talking about LOL .
Tomorrow give the DMV itself a call and ask. They should be able to give you a straight answer. And our DMV is not scary .

Old 11-18-2012, 08:53 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times
Wow. Didn't know that Chadd! How do you get around the fact that they want a VT DL # on the application form?
Just curious.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Great responses. These are the types of problems I need to know about ahead of time.

The car isn't for me. It's for someone moving to Vermont.

So, if someone moves to Vermont, they can't buy a car until they are officially permanent residents of Vermont?
There is nothing you need to do to become an "official permanent resident of Vermont" except to move here and start living here. Residence or domicile is defined as the concurrent existence of two facts: living in a location and the intent to remain. Once those two facts exist you are a resident.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What address was used on the registration? Vermont address or out of state address?

You went in their place? They didn't need to be present at the DMV?

Does that mean I can go to the DMV for him if he is busy working?
They downloaded the forms filled them out and mailed them to me and I went to the DMV for them and put it on the road and then went to the PO and mailed the plates to them with the temporary registration.Done deal,everyone happy the state gets their money and the guy gets his plates.

Address used was the out of state buyers and the lady would say the the permanent registration will go out within a couple of weeks to the address on the registration..perfect

Yes

And yes

Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Of course you don't need a license to buy a car. To REGISTER it you do. And you need a Vermont one. At least according to the DMV website and the application form.
I don't see any mention of it on this page:

How to Register a Vehicle in Vermont | DMV

It does say insurance, which contradicts what the dealer said.

In my state, we just have to show that we have car insurance for any vehicle. I guess it's assumed the new vehicle will be added to the policy.

Maybe that's what the dealer meant.

Quote:
But then again maybe I don't know what I'm talking about LOL .
Tomorrow give the DMV itself a call and ask. They should be able to give you a straight answer. And our DMV is not scary .
I'll definitely call tomorrow. Just trying to get a head start. This thread is helping me know which questions to ask.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Wow. Didn't know that Chadd! How do you get around the fact that they want a VT DL # on the application form?
Just curious.
You don't need one,Maine is similar to Vermont.I'll try and find a link on a moto forum,It's well known how easy VT makes it and is done all the time with guys that wouldn't be able to register them in their own state.Nothing dishonest is done.

VT collects the cash and they are happy.If you Google the number of cars registered in VT you would be surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont