U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 02:26 AM

34,356 posts, read 41,436,735 times

Advertisements

Bottom line ,if you dont like Vermont after a few years you can always move..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 03:54 AM

371 posts, read 396,485 times
If you wind up renting a place where the landlord doesn't provide heat, make sure to call whatever company provides the fuel and ask them what the average cost to heat the apartment or house is based on what the previous tenant paid. They will provide that information and you can see for yourself what you are getting into. Due diligence is the key here, especially if you are going to accept a rental without seeing it first, something that I would strongly urge you not to do.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:17 AM

12 posts, read 15,072 times
You all have been a source of great information - and humor!

LOL Harry! Your post made me laugh. Looking at the map, Rutland didn't look like the crossoroads to me. It looks more mid-west VT.

AmILost, You are right. I would probably feel more "at home" in Burlington, Lebanon or Albany. But my employer will be 7 miles south of Rutland so the Rutland area seems to makes the most sense. Especially for a flatlander who has never driven in snow and ice. Closer is better for me - at least to start with.

Yes jambo101, you are absolutely right. And that is the exact same thing my husband keeps telling me.

My Mama lived in a little bitty town that had one traffic light and one caution light. She had to drive to the next town to go to the store. That town had three traffic lights so it wasn't very big either. But I loved being there. It was a completely different life.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:32 AM

12 posts, read 15,072 times
Soup Nazi is wise. I'm not real excited about renting a place sight unseen. I've been contemplating how I could avoid this. As previously stated, I can't afford to fly up there for house hunting trips. Perhaps I'll get prices for having a moving company deliver our belongings. Then we can get up there, stay in a hotel and do a little house hunting before our things arrive. Perhaps.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:30 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,718,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmILost View Post
Rutland is NOT the heart of Vermont, I can tell you that. Burlington & Chittenden county are the heart of Vermont. I'd argue that Burlington & Chittenden are the only part of Vermont with much of a pulse, really.
Burlington and Chittenden County are at the "heart" of Vermont? No way. The rest of us would just as soon officially declare that nest of spwal, flatlanders and trust fund babies an outpost of New York. Burlington and Chittenden county may be the population center, but they represent the Vermont that has been taken over by outsiders. Nothing could get me to live there or even visit.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:07 PM

371 posts, read 396,485 times
You might want to consider renting one of those moving pods. I see them in NYC and Boston. They drop it off at your house, you pack it with your stuff, then it is moved to the city where you are going. I think they just store it until you are ready to have it delivered to your new abode, but I am not at all sure how that works, and whether Rutland would be a destination. It's very hard to find housing when you are not local and can't see it for yourself. I did it once on a move to Utah and totally lucked out, but it was an apartment complex that posted lots of pictures and had great reviews. Still, there were a few surprises, to be expected. Get as short a lease term that you can in case you don't like it. With winter coming, you may find landlords willing to forego a lease just to get it rented out.

If you are working in Rutland, you really can't consider Lebanon, NH or Burlington, VT. The commute would be too long and treacherous in winter. You might find a small town near Rutland that is nice....maybe Ludlow. It's a little far but has the ski mountain there (Okemo) as well as several rental properties. It's a cute town with a few good restaurants and I think maybe a playhouse.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:32 PM

1,942 posts, read 3,235,281 times
I looked into several of the pods when we moved up here from NY...If I remember correctly only one of the companies came up here and they only stored in Burlington. It was definitely NOT cheap. We ended up having a moving company bring everything up here and we stored our stuff in a local storage facility for a lot less. Consider all options!

Old 09-05-2013, 02:29 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,064,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGirl66 View Post
Soup Nazi is wise. I'm not real excited about renting a place sight unseen. I've been contemplating how I could avoid this. As previously stated, I can't afford to fly up there for house hunting trips. Perhaps I'll get prices for having a moving company deliver our belongings. Then we can get up there, stay in a hotel and do a little house hunting before our things arrive. Perhaps.
If you are going to rent, do not wait until you are here. The rental market in Vermont is one of the worst in the country. I'm not referring to condition, I'm referring to the number of available rental properties. You will have to live in Rutland or a surrounding town. The commute from Burlington to Rutland is about 2 hours. You may be fortunate and find something right away, but that's not the norm. Don't rely on ads on sites like Craigslist also. There are scams that flood the site looking for people such as yourself who may not be able to visit before renting. The Rutland Herald is most likely your best option of finding a rental. Vermont Classifieds on Web - Click on the COW and Sell it NOW - Search Results
The Vermont Guide you referenced is just tourist propaganda. There are many people who like Rutland, but in my opinion, it's the least desirable place in the state to live or visit (close tie with Barre). In state it's known for it's higher rate of crime and drugs. It's not like Detroit, but it's nowhere near the picture perfect postcards of Northern New England. Our current Governor even called it Rutvegas (a term that essentially describes everything wrong with Rutland). Exploring the mystique of RutVegas | local bound | jim sabataso

Old 09-05-2013, 03:09 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,537,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
There are many people who like Rutland, but in my opinion, it's the least desirable place in the state to live or visit (close tie with Barre). In state it's known for it's higher rate of crime and drugs. It's not like Detroit, but it's nowhere near the picture perfect postcards of Northern New England. Our current Governor even called it Rutvegas (a term that essentially describes everything wrong with Rutland). Exploring the mystique of RutVegas | local bound | jim sabataso
This is good advice.
I moved from Rutland to Florida, and would take Rutland over Florida just because Florida is the absolute worst place I have ever had to suffer, but Rutland--compared to the rest of Vermont--was a very depressing place. If we stuck to our plan and got our house in Brattleboro or Montpellier like we were initially, we would still be in Vermont. There was no reason to go back to Rutland when our affairs on Florida were taken care of.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:47 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,197,909 times
Summer ended a couple of weeks ago here 50 this morning, colder in them there hills.
Interestingly, we used the central ac more this year than most, so our monthly electric averaged $140 or so. Pretty soon, the Natural Gas bill will go from $40 a month to around $275 at it's peak. Now if you're out of natural gas territory, which is most of Vermont, your choices will be oil, LP, wood or whatever else. If you're stuck with propane, prepare for some financial pain.

It just Feels like we're getting back to the old days, weather-wise here. I'd be surprised if we didn't have a long, cold winter.

Must be time to drive South
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or