U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 07:54 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,528,778 times

Advertisements

I would be interested in the probable impacts of high-speed rail on Vermont. While I've come to agree with you about utility-scale wind in Vermont, I haven't studied the rail issue yet to know where I stand.

My initial assumption is that since so many Vermonters drive, it could be better for Vermont's environment to have more of us traveling by train if it would get cars off the roads. It might even be safer for winter travel. I'd love to hop a train to places I go frequently within Vermont and to Boston, Portland, Maine, etc. I've always envied Europe's train system.

(I'm not finding the statistic, but I've read that Vermonters drive more miles per year average than most other states and that driving is one of Vermont's primary forms of pollution.)

Do you have some sources for the impacts of rail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
Personally, and I may be in the minority here, I want to see high speed access to the northern half of Vermont about as much as I want an industrial wind farm in my yard.....which is to say, I want nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 08:15 AM

662 posts, read 1,039,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
Personally, and I may be in the minority here, I want to see high speed access to the northern half of Vermont about as much as I want an industrial wind farm in my yard.....which is to say, I want nothing to do with it.
I don't think your alone in that thought.I think a lot of Vermonters don't want people to be able to get here that easily for fear we will be overrun.

Just my observation but it seems a lot of what happens in the Rutland area with drugs seems to be from a lot of people from out of state with easy access on a train trying to establish new territory to deal in.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:44 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,369,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
I don't think your alone in that thought.I think a lot of Vermonters don't want people to be able to get here that easily for fear we will be overrun.

Just my observation but it seems a lot of what happens in the Rutland area with drugs seems to be from a lot of people from out of state with easy access on a train trying to establish new territory to deal in.
IDK if the train brought the drugs in , the cost of the Ethan Allen and the drug sniffing dogs at Albany and NY would eliminate that. Rutland and most Vermont towns are on the US route system which is known for accelerating the drug trade , same with the Interstates. But Railways , Buses and large Airports that's hard to do...its also very limited service and everything is checked twice.... You can't stop every Car on US 4 or 7 or I-89 or 91... There is your problem we have the same problem down here with I-95 which where all the drugs and illegal guns from the South come from. We've plugged the Rail , Air and Bus systems with checkpoints and scanners but you can't do that for Highways...and the Southern States don't seem to want to close there loop holes.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:32 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,419,194 times
I think rail is a great idea. I think it takes a recalibration of the way we think about travel. We go to major cities for vacations and park the car once we get there. Vermonters are just used to car travel everywhere. I'd use rail to go to Boston, NYC, Montreal and other major cities and I'm sure skiers would love rail travel to VT. Too bad I'll be dead and gone by the time it becomes a reality.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:44 PM

Look at the stations the state put in running parallel to RT7 to take the cars of Shelburne road
that wasn't a long run.I don't think it lasted two years.

It might seem like I'm against rail but I'm not at all It's just when you've seen things like the RT7 rail fail so badly(millions$$$) you just get discouraged and wonder like a lot, if VT isn't too rural for rail.
But like already said...I'll be dead and gone.

Like Harpoonalt said it takes a recalibration of the way we think and your getting the ball rolling again with this thread...enjoy the ride.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:

Why wouldn't they drive? Much easier to bring more stuff and hide it than on a train.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Why wouldn't they drive? Much easier to bring more stuff and hide it than on a train.
I'm sure more do actually.Lets face it the people that sell crack and heroin don't really care if they have a stolen gun in their pocket or a stolen car to drive.That's the problem these young kids just don't care.

The new latest and greatest is cook your own meth in the back yard here and across the lake in NY.
It's been all over this country and people said It's just a matter of time,well times up.

Actually I see you're in Western MA. so you must know only too well how these drugs come up RT7 from Springfield and Holyoke MA via NYC and It's suburb CT.Rail is just another option for when gas gets real high.

Last edited by Chadd1014; 11-28-2012 at 04:07 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 04:26 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,369,436 times
Quote:
I'm sure more do actually.Lets face it the people that sell crack and heroin don't really care if they have a stolen gun in their pocket or a stolen car to drive.That's the problem these young kids just don't care.

The new latest and greatest is cook your own meth in the back yard here and across the lake in NY.
It's been all over this country and people said It's just a matter of time,well times up.

Actually I see you're in Western MA. so you must know only too well how these drugs come up RT7 from Springfield and Holyoke MA via NYC and It's suburb CT.Rail is just another option for when gas gets real high.
Conductors are like Police and scan the car and will throw off drunks , drug dealers or anyone who causes an issue... Down here in this region Rail often goes through drug infested areas and then out to the rich burbs yet you rarely here about any crime coming off it , that can't be said for the Interstates... Drug dealers are still going to drive if prices are high because they don't want to take the chance...which they always be caught.... The Security these days is tight about drugs and any criminal activity. Rail brings in more middle class not lower class and raises property values and brings more positive then negative.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:03 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,098,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
idk… because there are large cities not too far away where one doesn't need a car and there's often bad traffic, there might be demand for a couple trains / day to Boston or NYC. The destination at the other end makes a big difference. Probably better places for rail, though.
Connecting MTR to NY via HSR would be a good goal. I wonder if the Hudson corridor would be better suited for that service.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:06 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,098,346 times
One train a day from NY to Rutland, how can you tell that's where the drug dealers are coming from?

I lived in Vermont long enough to know the tendency to blame all problems on outsiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or