U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,096,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Nuclear , Wind , Hydro , and Coal cover the Northeastern Electric Network. I don't think we have Oil plants in the Northeast....
Pretty sure all of vermont is either hydro or nuke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 09:22 PM

662 posts, read 1,039,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Pretty sure all of vermont is either hydro or nuke.
The newest electric in the state of VT.There's a lot of this across the lake in NY.

Vermont Rail Ideas-vermontwindmap_may2012update.jpg

Old 12-03-2012, 09:28 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,096,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
The newest electric in the state of VT.There's a lot of this across the lake in NY.

Attachment 104387
Very cool.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 PM

16,833 posts, read 29,096,666 times
Quote:
Nuclear , Wind , Hydro , and Coal cover the Northeastern Electric Network. I don't think we have Oil plants in the Northeast....
Interesting. I looked up GMPC; here's a link to their pie charts.

Fuel Mix

I noticed that the nukes went from 46% down to 6.5%. Other has increased and, according to the footnote, 15% of other will come from ISO NE. ISO NE stated on its page that it anticipates relying heavily on oil and coal generating plants. BUT, in the grand scheme, it is only about 5% of sources.

So thank you -- I've learned something new

Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 PM

12,381 posts, read 23,366,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Interesting. I looked up GMPC; here's a link to their pie charts.

Fuel Mix

I noticed that the nukes went from 46% down to 6.5%. Other has increased and, according to the footnote, 15% of other will come from ISO NE. ISO NE stated on its page that it anticipates relying heavily on oil and coal generating plants. BUT, in the grand scheme, it is only about 5% of sources.

So thank you -- I've learned something new
I think it will be Wind vs Hydro by the end of the decade....

Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 AM

819 posts, read 1,269,447 times
Wind? What % do we really think will come from wind power?

As for the MBTA, if I were still commuting to Boston I would still ride the MBTA as we did previously, however my wife and I drove 45mins to a T stop and took the T in vs. commuter rail. Paying for cars and $600+ for two MBTA passes is a pretty steep hill to climb.

Rail is alternative for many, however it may not be a cost effective alternative for many as well.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM

16,833 posts, read 29,096,666 times
Quote:
I think it will be Wind vs Hydro by the end of the decade....

The wildcard in the pie chart (speaking only for GMPC) is 'other'. The footnote indicates that other (in addition to the oil) consists of bilateral purchases. My question for them would be, "How is the other provider generating their power?" We could be looking at more oil and coal generated power masked as other.

At this point in time, my opinion is that wind is not going to be a substantial player at the decade's end. I won't argue against hydro. Wind is going to take more time as there are still a fair number of NIMBY hurdles.

One thing which bothers me as to the whole power supply is the number of foreign players whose mercy we are at.

Going back to rail, as long as there are faster alternatives to get from A to B, rail is going to take a backseat. I live 2 hours by train from Manhattan. If I take my car, depending on the day/night I can get much closer to my destination much faster. Plus it costs less taking 4 of us by car (tolls, gas and parking) vs. 4 of us by train (tickets). An added bonus to driving vs. train is that one is not tied to the train schedule. You can lead a horse to the train, but you can't make him ride.

I have missed a few pages, so I am going to make an assumption here that the purpose of these trains would be for commuting as opposed to pleasure travel. Opening up areas which were once commute prohibitive will change them. Look at counties surrounding major cities and look at how development has crept outwards through the years. Look at Essex Junction's sprawl -- imagine how much more that could grow with regular train service. I am not saying keep the state as a museum, but things really need to be thought through. Pave paradise...

Easy access through commuter rail = faster sprawl.

Logs and Dogs, and other posters have expressed the fact that VT is a conflicted state. I agree. We need to retain young people, reign in taxes, attract business, and do all in a way which helps retain the state's attractiveness. VT won't get a do-over when it is built up. I've heard 'Don't NJ VT.' I've heard people complain that people come from elsewhere and want to make the state more of what they left, or make the state their personal playground. I'm coming from an area which once had a thriving industrial base (military and aeronautics) which built up rapidly around them and the rail. LI is dying a slow, painful death. It's overbuilt, in some areas it feels overpopulated, we're overtaxed, we're losing good jobs to other states due to NY's business unfriendly environment, and we are losing young people who can't afford to live here &/or can't find employment.

Last thing I want is to see VT make the same mistakes -- which it already is: high taxes, loss of large companies, and in some areas -- poorly planned sprawl. Encouraging commuter rail has to be part of a greater plan for regional development and preservation.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:17 PM

41,492 posts, read 51,354,718 times
Default commuting cost

I pay 85 x 4 = 340 to commute from Londonderry NH to Boston MA by intercity bus complete with traffic related delays and uncertainty. The wage differential more than makes up for the cost. Roughly the same for commuting between Providence and Boston seems to be a bargain. I think the Downeaster from Portland to Boston is about the same.

Is Vermont connected to Quebec Hydro for electric energy? I know they dicommissioned Vermont Yankee nuclear years ago. Maybe they should build another nuke on the same site?

FWIW -

HSR and intercity conventional electric in the US uses 5 to 15 kv 60 cycle AC
Some rail still uses 5,000 volt 25 cycle AC
Subways use 600 VDC for the third rail.

50 and 16.5 cycle AC is European practice and not used in North America.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:30 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,064,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Is Vermont connected to Quebec Hydro for electric energy? I know they dicommissioned Vermont Yankee nuclear years ago. Maybe they should build another nuke on the same site?
Vermont Yankee is still in operation GregW.

I think OhBeeHave is correct about wind power as a substantial player. There is vast opposition to wind power in the state. Just this morning there was an announcement in the news that $20,000 in fines was issued to the Georgia Mountain developer due to complaints about blasting on the site. Granted, that amount of money may not be huge for a developer, but it's an indicator how opponents to these projects can be a thorn in their sides.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:48 PM

41,492 posts, read 51,354,718 times
Default 68 Vette

I stand corrected. Now I remember discussions of extending the operating license on Vermont Yankee. All the rest of ther Yankee series plants have been removed. IMHO new technology High Temperature Gas Cooled reactors should be installed on these sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or