U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2006, 06:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,251 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a college student in Kansas City, Missouri (Univ. of MO at Kansas City), and I'm thinking about transferring to Champlain College for fall 2007.

I've been thinking about Champlain and Burlington in general for the following reasons:
(1) Kansas City is HUGE; both in people (2 million people) and in land (~8,000 sq. mi.). For a student, KC is almost prohibitively expansive. I'm looking for a smaller environment, and I think Burlington may be a bit more manageable for me.

(2) UMKC, my current school, is a major research university with over 14,000 students. Their main focuses are medicine and business. As a Criminal Justice/Anthropology major, it's very easy for me to get lost in the hard sciences that are so emphasized at my school. I'm looking for a smaller, more liberal-arts/humanities-oriented school where I can involve myself better with the community.

I wanted to live in New England for a long time. I went to New Hampshire and Maine a while ago and I loved every minute of it, but I'd like to know what Champlain students or Burlingtonians have to say. Thanks a million.

Justin
Kansas City, MO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2006, 08:19 AM

3,328 posts, read 8,764,751 times
Champlain has a good reputation for specialized studies - accounting, criminal justice, teaching etc. Not sure if it's changed or not, but it used to (10 years ago when I was in college) have an open admissions (i.e. anyone could get in). The University of Vermont (UVM) is next door and while big, it feels small. St. Michael's College is nearby in Colchester.
Burlington is a great town - lots of great restaurants, bars, shops etc. We have a good theater in town (The Flynn) and Higher Ground which brings in great music acts.
I went to UVM and could not have been happier with the school or the location. In fact, I still live nearby I love it so much. Burlington is a great place to go to school.
Good luck and please post back if you have any further questions.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:22 PM

3 posts, read 9,251 times
Thanks for the reply. I have a friend who live in Norwich, and she can't say enough good things about Vermont. Now that I've applied to Champlain, it's just a matter of time before I find out. In the meantime, I've thought of a few more questions...

(1) I read somewhere that the nearest "major" city to Burlington is Montreal, and that it was just 2 hours away. Is this true? Do Burlingtonians take advantage of this, or is it just too much of a hassle? I know the rules about getting into Canada have changed recently. How about the French thing? Does it make a difference?

(2) How is transportation into and out of Burlington? Does the expressway (by which, I mean Interstate) ever close down during the winter? How about the airport?

(3) Is Burlington a walkable city? One of the biggest problems Kansas City has is almost uncontrollable sprawl. I imagine Burlington is relatively self-contained, I just want to be sure.

Thanks again, I appreciate any answers I can get.

Justin
Kansas City, MO

Old 10-06-2006, 06:50 AM

Hey there, here are the answers to your questions:
1) Montreal - Yes, people go up there all the time. In fact, I'm going up tomorrow for the night. If you don't have a passport, you'll need your drivers license and an official copy of your birth certificate. I'm not sure of the exact date, but sometime next year a passport will be required. Montreal has lots of great shopping, restaurants, & nightlife. There is also a great amusement park (La Ronde), the Canadiens (NHL) and the Allouettes (CFL), as well as many great museums and music venues. It's a great city. Just about everyone speaks english although the predominant language is french. Take a french class at Champlain to get to know the basics.
2) Snow - No, the highways don't closes down due to snow. The airport occassionaly shuts down for safety reasons during the winter, but it usually doesnt last that long. Life goes on here when it snows.
3) Yes, Burlington is a walkable city. If you need to get out to the 'burbs, we have a good public bus system - CCTA.
Any other questions?

Old 10-06-2006, 06:57 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,369,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
I went to UVM and could not have been happier with the school or the location. In fact, I still live nearby I love it so much. Burlington is a great place to go to school.
VTER: your posts are alway full of great info about beautiful Vermont. I'm just wondering, are you a born & raised VTer? Or did you go there for college and fall in love with VT? No special reason for asking, just my curiosity. Thx.

Old 10-06-2006, 08:02 AM

Born and raised in the Northeast Kingdom....

Old 10-06-2006, 08:51 AM

1,118 posts, read 4,369,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Born and raised in the Northeast Kingdom....
No wonder you know so much about Vermont!

Old 10-13-2006, 11:00 PM

1,173 posts, read 5,505,680 times
My sister went to Champlain and I am going. Awesome school. Very focused, no bull----, and getting a better rep every day (at least until I came along ). They're in the midst of a big building spree. Great school.

Champlain has a lot of options for living. The dorms are... not terribly luxurious, most upperclassmen live off campus in apartments. Burlington is very walkable as it's very small and compact (most eastern cities are since walking was the main way to get around) and there are buses but they don't run late however Champlain is closer to central Burlington (and the bars/venues) than UVM is. If you have a mountain bike you'll be ok except on the worst snow days.

http://www.cctaride.org/main.php/BusInformation/BusSchedulesRoutes (broken link)

Look at this map for the bus schedule. You may, or may not, like to know that Champlain does have a reputation for the best-looking women of any of the schools in Vermont. That said, it's hard to tell when they're all dressed in wardrobe left over from Fargo.

You will absolutely not have a problem getting the things you need from downtown Burlington. Groceries, beer, smoking materials and accessories, more beer, music, cool stuff, movies, clothes, everything. All of it is close together and easy to access. You can even bring your bike on the bus for no extra charge though there aren't many spaces in the rack. There is also a FREE bus to Smuggler's Notch every weekend if like to ski but don't have car. Either way, if you're even a somewhat reasonably personable guy you'll make friends with people who do have cars so it's not a big problem in the end.

Winter is a little tougher. Lot of people still ride their bikes but get fat tires and put pointy screws through the lugs to get traction on the ice. I wouldn't do it, but I have a car (yes, a Subuaru) so I don't care all that much.

Parking is a PROBLEM in downtown Burlington. All that wonderful close-togetherness, pedestrian-friendly lay-out means there's not enough parking. There is parking at Champlain and usually it's not a problem, but for the occasion when you have to take your car into Burlington it may not be a bad idea to bring a friend with you to drive the car around a bit while you go get what you need. Not everything fits on a bike or enjoys being toted around in freezing sleet/snow/rain. People go to Montreal all the time. Shopping, partying, or just wanting to hang-out in a big city. Bring your passport to Vermont. You'll need it to cross the border by the end of next year. The crossing guys like you to have one anyway and it speeds things along. Montreal is fantastic. Great city.

Just from what you've written and why you've written it I can pretty much tell you'll love Burlington. It's absolutely, completely not the mid-west. It's very New England, old New England of live and let live. Reserved but tolerant and very independent.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,564 times
Hey Jason_Els! Yes, parking is a problem, but Champlain is so close to downtown, walking seems to me to be the obvious choice -- but with the exception you noted, which is typical in any Northeastern city (the parking problem).

My son is applying to Champlain, in part because of Burlington. Beautiful town, and the view from some buildings at Champlain is spectacular: the lake and the Adirondacks, whew!

Old 01-10-2007, 05:43 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,374,288 times
I'd simply say amen to what others here have said. I live in Downtown Burlington and would find it hard to imagine anywhere else in the States I'd be happy. I'm spoiled.

I do love being able to WALK to

.Shops and Restaurants on Church Street
.The Lake
.The movie theatre
.The hardware Store
.The farmers market
.Bosnian, Vietnamese, and Thai food shops
.The Flynn Center For The Perfoming Arts
.The ECHO Center children's hands-on lakeside science museum
.the (world class) lakeside bike path
.Half a dozen parks

...all within a short walk from my place in Downtown Burlington.
...and I can drive the scenic back way to Montreal - through The Champlain Islands - and be there in 1:45. Doing the speed limit.

Heck - I never even have trouble parking: the city owned parking garages are free for 2 hours at a time, and metered parking is inexpensive and not terribly difficult to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont