Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 02:44 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,267,750 times

Advertisements

BACK ON TOPIC PLEASE. Or this thread will be closed.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 AM

31 posts, read 52,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coletrain View Post
As a southerner living in NY, Ive quickly had enough of the people here. (Among other things). Now I realize there are rude people everywhere, and I hate to generalize, but I find the people here in NY intolerable. (I'm not in the city btw) I constantly hear the stereotypes about we are so dumb,etc. I plan on a move to Southern Vermont very soon as I can't go home due to some circumstances. My question is, are Vermonters generally more accepting of Southerners? I like Vermont, but I can't take another joke about how we bang our cousins and all that jazz.

I live on Long Island and I am very sorry you had to deal with that here. I've lived in NY my whole life and would love to leave myself. Vermont is a beautiful state with friendly people (at least in my experiences).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
It depends on whether you are talking native, generational Vermonters and people that have moved there and accepted Vermont for what it is or the mostly city people who have moved to Vermont and want to convert it to their own private utopia. I have found the latter to be much less tolerant of people from the south.
I think this is pretty accurate. I love Vermont, loved living in Vermont, love visiting Vermont. I also regularly visit family in New York (mostly upstate, some NYC folks), and keep up with some friends there online. There is definitely an attitude of condescension from some who think that those who come from a different region, have accents and different political or religious views are inferior and don't belong here. This is fairly prevalent in NY (more so the closer to the city you are) and Vermont seems to have a lot of NY transplants -- I read an article once that referred to them as the "Newhart contingent" . Several years ago, I can't remember when, the statistic came out that for the first time Vermont had more residents who were born elsewhere than those who were born there. However since you're in or near one of the epicenters of such attitudes, let's hope you find Vermont to be an improvement, and almost surely the rude minority will be counteracted by the more open-minded and friendly majority.

Last edited by vter; 01-15-2013 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: edited out finger pointing

Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,215 times
A good rule of thumb is not to generalize about ANY group of people even if the majority of your experiences are negative. Even when I complain about NJ/CONN/NY drivers on my way home, deep down I know they're not all bad. Good and bad people wherever you go. If you're looking for everyone to be nice, you might have to wait til you get to heaven........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont