U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 10:10 AM

188 posts, read 147,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Don't Jersey Vermont, as my bumper sticker says.
I was born and raised in Western Pennsylvania where every kid got a rifle for their 12th birthday and the gun culture was and still is as strong as anywhere in the nation.

There has to be some sensible restrictions on gun ownership. Despite all the arguments to the contrary, there is no reason people need enough firepower to start a war.

Need I remind everyone that up until 2008 and Heller, the controlling clause in the Second Amendment was, as with legal precedent since the Constitution was ratified, the FIRST clause:

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state," was the controlling clause. Not the other way around. The USSC overturned years of legal precedent and look where we are today. 300,000,000 guns of every variety and more massacres every year because there are no limits or controls so guns are just that easy to procure for the so-called law abiding gun owner and the disturbed person looking to make a name for himself in the news.

I support gun ownership. Sensible, regulated gun ownership. Not the insane free for all we're living in now.

Edit to add:

Here's the crux of the problem:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7abccf05.jpg

Last edited by bobd04; 12-23-2012 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: Edit to add

Old 12-23-2012, 10:10 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,712,697 times
With increasing rates of armed robbery, attempted murders in broad daylight and the police seen as not responding to protect the citizenry as they should be along with municipal politicians in a permanent state of denial that a growing drug and crime problem exists, I can't blame people for wanting to talk about it in an open forum.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:19 AM

3,328 posts, read 8,771,096 times
Guys-
Thank you for keeping this civil so far. So...before it spirals out of control as these threads inevitably do, I ask that you please continue this discussion in one of the many gun control threads in the Politics and Other Controversies Forum.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or