Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2006, 07:21 PM

1,153 posts, read 3,602,986 times

Advertisements

A Friend Is Moving There With Her Family. Can Anyone Tell Me About Living There?.......real Estate, Good Neighborhoods, Good School System?.....shopping? And Work?..thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 10:02 PM

23 posts, read 102,702 times
Default Wolcott...you can do better.

Wolcott is a somewhat economically depressed area of Vermont. Housing costs are expensive, wages are quite low. It's very very rural. It has a gas station and furniture store.

Consider Burlington instead. It is slightly more cultured and jobs easier to find. The Fair market rent for a 2 bedroom is 980 dollars per month. If you want something nice, add a couple hundred more. And some more for utilities.

Most unskilled jobs will pay about 7-10 dollars per hour without benefits. Skilled laborers will do better.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:01 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
I agree with the above poster. Very rural, fairly economically depressed. Wolcott is famous for Bucks Furniture Store.
Not sure about schools..I know the town as an elementary school. Not sure where the kids go to high school, but would imagine either Hazen Union (Hardwick) or Peoples Academy (Morrisville).

Old 03-07-2007, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 4,315 times
Wolcott is rural not only in geography but in philosophy. The town board is not very progressive, the town itself is not progressive. Some people have tried to improve it only to meet resistance. School is o.k. but I would look elsewhere. Living is difficult, to go grocery shopping you must travel a minimum of 22 miles round trip.
It could be a great place if you could change the attitude but that is not forseen in for a long time to come. To many people are living in the past hopefully they will break out of it, could be a great place as it has a lot of beautiful spots.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:09 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,584 times
I'm a Realtor.

I'm in Burlington, and a big fan of the Greater Burlington Area.

I don't have much to add about Wolcott per se that the posters above haven't mentioned. Except to offer this:

Whenever anybody asks specific questions about schools, I send them to a resource maintained by The University of VT. It gives loads of demographic and school data on every individual school in VT. It's tough to find, but if you'd care to PM me, I'll email you the website address.

Regards,
David Beckett

Old 03-07-2007, 07:59 PM

55 posts, read 195,111 times
I found this link to be helpful re: education data
http://crs.uvm.edu/schlrpt/ (broken link)

Old 03-08-2007, 09:09 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,584 times
That's it, giselle.

Thanks,
David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: