U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 06:24 PM

3 posts, read 9,110 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone, I have been trolling around this forum for about a month or so trying to get some info on Brattleboro and Bennington, and it has been pretty helpful. But wanted to get some more info.

Im single and 30 years old living in Brooklyn NY. I work remote so I can pretty much live anywhere, I like the NE and want to stay here, but I need to get the hell out of NYC and NYS! I do want to stay in Southern VT because my family is in upstate NY so ideally I would like to stay close.

I am a bit worried about moving out of the city, but I am ready for more freedom and I think VT can provide that.

I did search but was looking for more of a personalized answer.

My question is, which town is more diverse? Which town would be better for a single guy? Which town has "more to do?" Coming from NYC, what city do you think would be an easier adjustment?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 PM

302 posts, read 723,471 times
I grew up in Brattleboro and have been to Bennington many times. My take on each town:

Bennington: Historic, about two hours to Albany, close to both Green Mountains in VT and Berkshires in MA. Seems less diverse that Bratt to me.

Brattleboro: Funky, hippy vibe. Has been called a college town without a college (unless you count SIT as a college). Fairly diverse for its size. I think Bratt is your best bet as a single guy. Short drive to Boston (2 hours), Northampton/Amherst, MA area (30 mins), or Hartford (1.5) hours.

Either way, you are going to have to adjust to living in a very small town.

If I were in your shoes, I would consider Northampton, MA as well. It has all of the advantages of Brattleboro but on a bigger scaleómore diversity, more restaurants, more music venues/clubs, several state parks nearby, etc.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the reply, Im headed to Brattleboro this weekend. MA is out of the questions for reason that dont need to be discussed in this thread. Mostly state laws and policies.

Again thanks for the reply, looking forward to getting to brattleboro this weekend.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 AM

10,622 posts, read 4,930,705 times
Don't know if you've seen this thread from a few months back, it includes (but isn't limited to) discussion of Benn. vs. Bratt as possible moving destinations-
Talk me in or out of moving to VT (Brattleboro in particular)
Here's another thread along those lines (again, you may have already dug up these old threads on your own)-
Moving to Vermont?

The distance between Benn. & Bratt. is not that far "as the crow flies" (45 miles on map), but in real terms, "as the car drives", it can take quite a while (weather conditions at varying elevations, traffic, construction, accidents, twisting & winding route), more like 90 mins. than 3/4 hour (what one would estimate based solely on distance). I may be overestimating a bit, but I'm trying to give an "on the ground" report vs. what a map indicates, considering you wish to remain accessible to relatives in upstate NY.
So far as I can tell (given that I live in Brattleboro and have only been to Bennington for brief excursions), they're about equal in many measures-so then the relative nearness of Bennington to NY state (compared with Brattleboro being closer to Mass.) might tilt you in favor of Bennington.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,059,978 times
If you want Vermont, but want to be close to family, I would say the choice would most likely have to be Bennington. I lived in Rupert for a short while and the drive from I-89 to the other side of the state was torture after a while (as Cloven mentioned). You may think the drive to see family won't be that bad, but you will grow to dislike it in no time (especially in the winter). Depending on your likes and dislikes, both places will be an adjustment. The best advice is not to visit the location you want as a tourist. Think about things you would need to do on a daily basis.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:05 PM

10,622 posts, read 4,930,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
If you want Vermont, but want to be close to family, I would say the choice would most likely have to be Bennington. I lived in Rupert for a short while and the drive from I-89 to the other side of the state was torture after a while (as Cloven mentioned). You may think the drive to see family won't be that bad, but you will grow to dislike it in no time (especially in the winter). Depending on your likes and dislikes, both places will be an adjustment. The best advice is not to visit the location you want as a tourist. Think about things you would need to do on a daily basis.
I'll make a generalization, though I admit I don't know what it's like in other parts of the state-but I suspect it applies there, too:
That it's a lot harder (slower, more circuitous) to travel between east and west than it is to travel between north and south locations (due to mountainous geography), contrary to how it may appear on maps.
So, factor that into your calculations. Best of luck (to the OP) in your decision-making

Old 01-16-2013, 01:06 PM

Thanks guys!

Old 01-16-2013, 02:00 PM

16,937 posts, read 22,228,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
I'll make a generalization, though I admit I don't know what it's like in other parts of the state-but I suspect it applies there, too:
That it's a lot harder (slower, more circuitous) to travel between east and west than it is to travel between north and south locations (due to mountainous geography), contrary to how it may appear on maps.
So, factor that into your calculations. Best of luck (to the OP) in your decision-making
That's true through a lot of the state. I know of several towns bordering each other with almost no links between them. Shrewsbury and Plymouth have two roads between them, a seasonal state forest road closed in winter, and a washed out old class 4 road only a jeep or lifted truck could drive. There's no longer any roads between Hubbardton and Pittsford that I know of. 4 examples off the top of my head, and it's true up and down the green mountains.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,113,694 times
Where do your parents live in upstate NY? I ask because I make the dreadful drive many times a year. Vermont isn't what makes it dreadful. It's the NY interstates. The Southern Tier and the Northern Thruway are a PITA, especially in the winter with the lake effect snow and/or very high winds. I don't think NY does enough to maintain the roads during bad weather. If they live close to the Vermont border, it's not a big deal; however, if they live closer to the Pennsylvania border, you might want to look into Pennsylvania.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:11 PM

6 posts, read 13,206 times
Default apartments in Bennington

My wife and I are thinking of moving to Bennington, looking for a 2-bedroom apt to rent. What are the best areas to live in (low crime, high liveability score, nice houses)? We would like to start looking on the internet, but want to avoid seedy areas. Thanks. Peter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or