Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 02:34 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,841,000 times

Advertisements

On Sunday I hiked up the ridge on the Forehead of Mt Mansfield and also did several of the lower elevation trails. Driving up through the towns of Richmond, Jericho, and then to my destination in Underhill I was amazed at how nice and vibrant the foliage display is this year. Then I get home and see the story in the BFP "Dreary foliage blamed on climate change." What a bunch of agenda driven garbage. I spend quite a bit of my time in the woods in all seasons and during the past month I have been all over Vermont to also include the Berkshires in Mass and also over to NH. This fall has been just great with temperature and rainfall amounts to generate the foliage we have this season. Early on it was a bit dry, but it seems it had little effect. I wonder who or what we will blame next year if peak comes early and we have a wet and cold fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 07:47 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,644,474 times
I completely forgot about foliage season this year. Part of that has to do with the weather. I know someone mentioned that it has more to do with sunlight than the temperature, but I would have to disagree. I still have green grass and it's almost November(never have I had to mow my lawn this late in the year). The only trees that have even started to turn color are the Maples. Almost November and 75% of our trees are still green(in Colchester by the lake). My neighbor who is in his 70s and a native of Vermont said this is the first time he can remember never even picking up a leaf this late in the year. Here we are on October 22nd and the temp is supposed to be in the
70s today.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:35 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,011,704 times
I love your post 68vette!
I hope this is the year of record LOW snowfall/ice, too. Yeah, I know, that's bad but I want to get used to the area & driving before I have to face a bad morning and evening commute.

I was walking home just now from the post office, enjoying the colors (vibrant oranges and reds are gorgeous!) and thinking it will be Thanksgiving in a month!

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 10-22-2007 at 09:55 AM..

Old 10-22-2007, 10:52 AM

6 posts, read 28,558 times
hi there gypsy. just wanted you to know that being from massachusetts, i take offense at your nickname for us. not sure where it comes from...i, too, love vermont and all the beauty that it has to offer. i also love massachusetts and all the beauty that it has to offer. there are people from each and every state that have bad attitudes, vermont included. it's not such a great idea to generalize.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:21 AM

I didn't make it up.

Heck, I get called worse 'cause I'm from NY. I have plenty of pals from MA.
I'm very nice to tourists and don't have a problem with them. Oh, except the ones who can't drive the speed limit or follow the rules of the road.

I'm sure you're very nice.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:12 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,127,800 times
Well I just did a little color chasing. While there's nice color, we're on our way
downhill here inthe Champlain Valley. I was driving through Hinesburg on Thursday and it was bright. Same road today,four days later, fading fast. And lots of leaf drop. I did find some nice color in East Middlebury, but you can see the leaves falling quickly.

It was a glorious year. Late, but glorious.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:18 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,127,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsgal View Post
hi there gypsy. just wanted you to know that being from massachusetts, i take offense at your nickname for us. not sure where it comes from...i, too, love vermont and all the beauty that it has to offer. i also love massachusetts and all the beauty that it has to offer. there are people from each and every state that have bad attitudes, vermont included. it's not such a great idea to generalize.
All residents of tourist areas have names for the closest metropolitan area folks. I know the name Gypsy was referring to. When I lived in Illinois, the cheeseheads in Wisconsin referred to Illinois people as FIBs. I can tell you that the I stands for Illinois, but if I told you what the rest stands for I'd be banned.

Just a harmless rivalry thing. Not to mention that people in the rural areas are a little sensitive as they often think the city folk think of them as hicks.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:49 PM

At the risk of this going off topic...It's really not about someone being from a certain state...it's the attitude. 'Second houser owners' buy up the property here and drive up prices for those of us who live here full time.
It's the same for rich NYers who go out to Long Island and build up McMansions or homes out "east" just for the summer.

Tourists are great for the economy but need to respect the rules of the road and not act like this is their personal playground because they can afford second homes. Also, ask NICELY for directions, not turn in my drive and bark out "Where is so and so?" without even a "Hello" or "Can you help me find..." (And sometimes I don't know...I'm new here too...)

As far as (someone else asked) why people would drive up 3 hours to see leaves, I don't know. Where I lived in NY we had four seasons and saw plenty of leaves changing. I would not (personally) drive 5 hours or more to see some maple leaves change but to each his own.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,567,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Funny Lily!
We also play a game called "Spot the Mass****" (so many license plates from MA).
I think that might be a LIer thing -- we do that, too!

Old 10-23-2007, 11:46 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,794,331 times
Just in case you missed these samples shot in the last couple of days.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/vermo...l-07-pics.html

Foliage is abit late this year, the late bout of indian summer is the culprit and is not as consistant as it used to be but there still is plenty of nice color out there. Some trees turned early due to lack of rainfall, their the ones which turned a rust color.

I have been photographing the foliage in Vermont for 30 years. The mountain areas are pretty much done now but I can usually find great color in the low elevation areas of Champlain Valley and southern Vermont right up to Halloween most every year.

The reason why Vermont has amazing fall color is due to the topography which is great for the 70 species of Maple located here. Sugar, Red, Crimson King, Silver and Norway Maples are the dominant species in Vermont.

Last edited by MRVphotog; 10-24-2007 at 12:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont