Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 PM

28 posts, read 63,025 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are ready to make our big (hopefully final) move, and we've decided that VT is the place for us--if we can find jobs in the area. We're both professionals (engineers) and both currently employed in another state. We don't want to tip our hand and jeopardize our current jobs by being too assertive in our job search (posting on-line resumes, etc.). Anybody have ideas about some less obvious avenues we might look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 12:48 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
What type of engineer? Civil? Environmental? Electrical? Software?

What area of the state are you looking at?

Contact the engineering firms directly and see if they are hiring? Check out their websites - may firms will put job openings right on their website.

Seven Days is a good resource:
Seven Days Classifieds | Vermont Jobs, Apartments, Cars, Services and Stuff

Old 02-01-2013, 12:50 PM

For example...
VHB is looking for highway & bridge engineers:
VHB.com : Careers

Dubois & King:
Engineering Career Opportunities at DuBois & King, Inc.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 PM

We're both electrical engineers (which is probably unfortunate since--from what we've been seeing on-line, one EE job might be difficult enough to land). We like what we've seen of the Brattleboro area, but, really, we're open to any area. Burlington or Rutland would be great, too. Thanks for the links.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:48 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFootprint View Post
My wife and I are ready to make our big (hopefully final) move, and we've decided that VT is the place for us--if we can find jobs in the area. We're both professionals (engineers) and both currently employed in another state. We don't want to tip our hand and jeopardize our current jobs by being too assertive in our job search (posting on-line resumes, etc.). Anybody have ideas about some less obvious avenues we might look into?
Your best bet is to look to move to a different state. If you're dead set on vt, you could try looking for a telecommuting job.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:17 PM

I know UTC Aerospace (formerly Goodrich) in Vergennes has electrical engineers on staff but don't know if they are currently hiring.
Looks like Microstrain has some opening: Employment | Microstrain Little Sensors. Big Ideas.

It certainly won't be easy - just remember the state only has 600,000 people and as a result we have a small economy as well. Depending on the job there could be lots of competition.
Good luck to you!

Old 02-01-2013, 05:28 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
You might be able to find something near Hanover NH, as there is a small high tech area around Dartmouth.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 AM

Thanks for the links, vter--these are definitely listings I'm not seeing on the job search sites--good to know there's more out there than what I'm finding on-line.

Also a good tip about NH, FrugalYankee--always nice to be able to expand the search a little.

If anybody else has any leads in the coming weeks, we'd love to hear 'em. Thanks again.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:58 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I recommend doing research to compile a list of companies that would likely hire electrical engineers.

Google appropriate trade associations, etc. They often have lists of their members and companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont