U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 AM

2,867 posts, read 2,973,872 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else seen this?

www.wcax.com/story/21166588/vt-lawmakers-may-pump-up-gas-tax

A state sales tax on gasoline at 4% with gas at $3.50 a gallon would up the cost by roughly 14 cents a gallon to $3.64 a gallon. It would almost be cheaper for those on the western side to go over into New York State and purchase their gas. It would most certainly be cheaper for those on the eastern side to purchase their gas in New Hampshire. What are the people in Montpelier thinking? Yes you are getting less taxes, the vehicles are more efficient and people are driving less. You should be happy!!

Last edited by DauntlessDan; 02-14-2013 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 10:30 AM

819 posts, read 1,266,483 times
Is it sad that none of this really surprises us anymore?

$3.64? It's $3.769 in the NEK right now.....

Old 02-14-2013, 10:38 AM

It is sad. I am in the Eastern Panhandle of WV, one the more, if not the most, expensive counties (kind of like your Chittenden County) and our gas is 3.79.9 for regular. In PA north of us and VA south of us it is considerably cheaper. It always is.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:47 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,055,759 times
Here in Chittenden County the price of regular is 3.799 to 3.859 on average. We are encouraged by the administration to drive more efficient vehicles to cut down on fuel costs, but then that hurts the states bottom line. Montpelier will get it from us one way or another. I am really convince that the government is talking out of both sides of their mouth. They tell us to cut down on oil consumption, but they can't live without the generated tax revenue. This really ties into the aging population/decreased state revenue problem the state is in (from another forum topic).

Old 02-14-2013, 12:04 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,707,881 times
Meh, I buy gas in NH anyway. I'm surprised Montpeculiar doesn't get after me to pay some kind of tax I would have paid if I had bought the gas here. I avoid making any purchases at all in Vermont. It isn't just that there is no place left to buy anything I need anyway. When the VT Department of Taxes got after my business to send in "Use Tax" for the few things I buy on my way to work (guilty as charged, I stop at Staples or K-Mart to buy envelopes on my way to work) I got so fed up I swore to make the state lose more in revenues than they gain from me. It isn't even about the money - I end up owing them about $100/year. It takes me a couple of hours to sift through my bills for the year. I get to waste my time so they can buy one more office chair for their overpaid employees.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 PM

What's going to be next I wonder....toll booths at the roads going in and out of the state. They already ask you on your income tax form for the dollar amount of items you purchased out of state. I am sure that people are honest and tell them.......yeah right!!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:43 PM

400 posts, read 723,847 times
I personally wouldn't mind paying more gas tax if it meant better roads. And IIRC the gas tax isn't indexed to inflation which means it effectively goes down every year. But the roads are falling apart because the state has routinely robbed the transportation fund to put money into the general fund which is then used to shore up bloated education fund budgets. The goal here seemed to have been to not do road maintenance because it takes a few years to notice that isn't done and in exchange they can hide how awful the increase in education spending really is for a little longer.

In light of the way the state does business, giving them more tax revenue here seems like throwing good money after bad. They'll probably just misappropriate it into the education fund again and then cry poor on it again the next year. The only reason I think they're even asking this year is the transportation well has flat out run dry. Notice there is also talk of even higher property taxes at the same time.

Its certainly a bitter pill to swallow when you conserve and drive more efficiently only to have the tax increased on you anyway as well. I suppose you can take comfort in the fact that if you chose a more efficient vehicle you'll be less effected by this, sort of making the economics of that decision even stronger. A worse case would be when the Burlington Electric debacle where everyone was using less power and the company said it had to raise rates because was making less money due to people using less power. The power saving efforts were done under the assumption that supply was a cost that mattered in that case. Apparently not.

There are more of this ridiculous things brewing too. There's talk of adding a home heating fuel tax and using the money to pay for yet another efficiency program in charge of weatherization. We already have plenty of terrible efficiency programs who's primary purpose is to employ politicians friends and family at a do nothing job as near as I can figure.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:12 AM

986 posts, read 2,025,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
What's going to be next I wonder....toll booths at the roads going in and out of the state. They already ask you on your income tax form for the dollar amount of items you purchased out of state. I am sure that people are honest and tell them.......yeah right!!
They'll lose federal highway funds if they do that.

Be glad your roads are as good as they are. You don't want to see what the roads in Providence are like, even without the 3' potholes that have appeared after the recent snow storms. The dirt roads in VT are WAY better than many of the paved roads here.

I'm also one who tends to be in the minority on this, but I think gas should cost us more than it does across the board... it'll get people to start really thinking about alternative fuels and modes of transportation.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:26 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,055,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
They'll lose federal highway funds if they do that.

Be glad your roads are as good as they are. You don't want to see what the roads in Providence are like, even without the 3' potholes that have appeared after the recent snow storms. The dirt roads in VT are WAY better than many of the paved roads here.

I'm also one who tends to be in the minority on this, but I think gas should cost us more than it does across the board... it'll get people to start really thinking about alternative fuels and modes of transportation.
More expensive fuel will not stop people from driving. As an example, we go to Europe every year or two to see family, etc. We were in the UK last year and the price for fuel with the exchange was over $10.00/gal. The streets were packed with as many cars as you would find in US cities or towns. The main difference is the cars are more fuel efficient, compact, etc than what would be found in the US. The other thing about Americans compared to Europeans, America is in love with the automobile. People here, especially in rural states like Vermont, could never rely on other forms of transportation. Vermont has been boasting about the increased use of public transportation in the past year. The reality is a recent survey done with 300,000 commuters revealed only about 1% of Vermonters use or have used public transportation, our commute times are 4 minutes less than the US average (we drive far and long) and about 80% of us commute alone.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:51 AM

68vette been to the U.K. myself (Scotland) and can totally understand what you are saying regarding fuel prices there. They get hammered over there compared to us. Too bad the US doesn't use more commuter trains, etc. I have seen an uptick in buses in Vt, not a large one, but from when we last lived there there is a bus system in the NEK area where we lived, now, that wasn't there before. Ditto for southwestern VT where we (wife and I) grew up. Of course this is a small percentage. If the system isn't in place, one canmnot use it. And the cost for a mass scale transportation anything in VT is probably too prohibitive. The high gas prices hurt the average working Joe and Jane who have to drive to another town to shop, work, go to the doctor etc. No higher gas prices won't stop people from driving to work, shop, etc if that is their only option. It will only cut yet more out of their takehome pay that they can put towards food, clothing etc. And what if they are already driving a fuel efficient vehicle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont