U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 05:47 PM

20,784 posts, read 35,813,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn C View Post
Honestly, I am too. We had a republican Gov until this last one and I wouldn't be surprised if that changes in the coming years. Unfortunately it's becoming hard to live here in the NEK. The only people who can afford it are those that come here to vacation. It's like they want to rewild the NEK and not have people live up here full time but only have those tourists come through to look at the wildlife. They've been trying to get a Walmart up here for years but all the small businesses (the owners are usually on the board) keep voting it down. So, we travel over an hour to go to NH to the Walmart there because we can't afford the prices the small stores charge.

D
That is one issue I do have with small towns is the frequent conflicts of interest and nepotism. What you are describing is basically the business owners monopolizing their power and control over the consumer market through elected positions, hence allowing statism or the status quo to dominate. As you mentioned, many can't continue to stomach higher and higher prices for basic goods. NH continues to capitalize on this market and has the highest per capita overall retail sales of any state in the US.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:50 PM

20,784 posts, read 35,813,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn C View Post
It's funny you mentioned MO, I visited a friend there a handful of years ago and went down to the Ozarks and had no issues (it was late Spring) with adjusting, no have I anytime I've gone to Florida.
Many people do move to the Ozarks if they desire rural living or to retire. Rural MO has very few amenities and services as well as few paying jobs- so they are losing a large percentage of the younger population to the bigger cities and college towns. Many areas of rural MO have next to no building codes, zoning, etc. So, rural areas can be a a mixed bag.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 PM

10,058 posts, read 13,943,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The northern part where the redwood are is probably pretty nice but I bet it's more like VT with no jobs. It's hard to have both.
You need to get out more there is a thing called Silicon Valley maybe you heard about it?

Old 03-19-2013, 03:36 PM

459 posts, read 905,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
You need to get out more there is a thing called Silicon Valley maybe you heard about it?
People in vt have a weird need to pretend that everywhere is as messed up as vt is. Otherwise it kills their "jobs and buisness are bad" argument. Its amusing.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BickleTravis View Post
People in vt have a weird need to pretend that everywhere is as messed up as vt is. Otherwise it kills their "jobs and buisness are bad" argument. Its amusing.
Ironic, but I was telling my wife this thread was a dream buster

And her fantasized that all of you up there work at Ben and Jerry's for $25 hour sipping free ice cream. Now I feel like VT is nothing more than over sized tourist trap where everyone puts on a fake smile pretends to be living the good life and then trout to their next min. wage job.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,707,380 times
Ben and Jerry's was bought out by Unilever. Real Vermonters haven't bought or eaten that crap since.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Ben and Jerry's was bought out by Unilever. Real Vermonters haven't bought or eaten that crap since.
So then with that line of thinking do all VT's boycott all big box stores and only support local mom and pops?

Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 PM

444 posts, read 683,596 times
Quote:
So then with that line of thinking do all VT's boycott all big box stores and only support local mom and pops?
If you believe this ranking, Vermonters avoid eating crap: The 10 happiest states in the U.S. - Slide Show - MarketWatch.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,707,380 times
Quote:
Big box stores sell overpriced crap. Staples, Home Depot, Lowes, WalMart, you name it. Low Quality, high prices. Why buy junk that won't last very long when you can get better quality for a lower price?

Old 03-20-2013, 06:12 AM

444 posts, read 683,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Big box stores sell overpriced crap. Staples, Home Depot, Lowes, WalMart, you name it. Low Quality, high prices. Why buy junk that won't last very long when you can get better quality for a lower price?
I agree, but there are exceptions. I bought a Honda lawnmower at Home Depot and it's fantastic. Honda is one of the best engine manufacturers in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or