Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 07:26 PM

48 posts, read 230,463 times

Advertisements

Hi, Can anyone tell me about Fair Haven? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 07:38 PM

79 posts, read 313,459 times
I grew up in neighboring Castleton. It has a small town center with a couple of neat little shops and restaurants and a very neat old-style department store - Carl Durfee's. The town overall is a bit rundown and could use a facelift. There is an entrepreneur who has been buying stuff up there and has helped spruce things up. There is a nice public green as well. The schools in Fair Haven are not the best (see the other post regarding FHUHS). Fair Haven all together is not the most desirable place to live, but it does have it's pluses.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:33 PM

16 posts, read 40,118 times
Smile Fair Haven of latter years

Living in Fair haven in the 50's was great for a kid. I would ride my bike downstreet or around the block. Went to St. Mary's School and church. Used to ride my bike to the cemetary also. In the winter built snow forts and ice skated.

In the hot summers my Mom would take us kids to Lake Bomoseen to swim and cool off. That was fun. We had a small theater that I would go to for movies and sit in the balcony and throw popcorn on the boys below . Alot of wonderful memories.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 1,818 times
Talking I Love Vermont

Why? Think beautiful lakes for canoeing, water skiing, swimming and fishing, softball, various clubs. Picture youself on the shore of a lake with a picnic basket nearby, fishing rod in hand and a burning campfire ready to cook your supper.

Listen to families playing in the water or playing volleyball on shore. Watch the kites soaring into the white fluffy clouds as the sun shines down on you. Picture walking into your backyard to a small garden patch and picking fresh salad ingredients and vegetables for supper. Make a fresh veggie quiche. Think backyard fence conversation or greeting neighbors at the nearby coffee shop.

See yourself in a home on a residential street in a town small enough to walk to the market, the beautiful downtown green, churches and shops that meet your needs - including a butcher. Or picture yourself on your bicycle, touring residential streets or country roads. Grab your family and go to the local swimming hole in summer that becomes the skating rink in winter. Take your fish pole and hook the biggest fish for the local fishing derby and win some cash! Picture in the center of town a small park with a fountain, mature trees, a white fence and benches scattered around the edge of the park.

How does Vermont stack up in other areas? I live in a small town of 2200 residents. Within our town we have 3 restaurants - a fine Greek restaurant that will satisfy the choosiest palates, a luncheonette where townsfolk and others gather for breakfast, lunch or coffee with home made pastries, and a nearby diner that is open from early morning breakfast to late supper. Here you get your choice of breakfasts and lunches to order, supper complete with the latest dessert piece de resistance. Education is a high priority and most students, upon completion of high school, go on to a 2 or 4 year college, some nearby. Yes, there are doctors, lawyers but no indian chiefs. 2 very good hospitals are also nearby, one in Vermont and one in nearby New York state. Town administrators are usually a Town Manager, selected by a Select Board.

There are lots of groups to join, no matter your age. There are clubs (Rotary, American Legion etc); scouting groups; Boys/Girls Clubs; Senior Groups; fun groups (hunting; fishing (Bass Club); teen groups.

There are lots of things to do in Vermont that are outdoors, fun and free. Come see!

Last edited by hom2vt; 03-20-2013 at 12:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont