U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 02:59 PM

444 posts, read 683,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think you're still missing the point that City Data exists for the purpose of potential newcomers seeking this very information.
Well, actually I'm one of the potential newcomers who looked at City Data to investigate Vermont while I was living in Illinois. We moved here almost 2 years ago. The City Data forum was helpful to me only in the sense that it gave a different feeling about Vermont than about other states. As far as real facts go, due diligence requires checking them out somewhere other than a forum. The city-data.com/city section was useful for that. Threads like this one wouldn't have been very useful to me. I like Vermont a lot and somehow seem to end up defending it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 03:00 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,709,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldorell View Post
I agree with you there, but any sensible person who relies on income from a job would check out the job market before moving anywhere. In fact many or most moves are based on having secured employment ahead of time. It would be hard to feel sorry for someone who said "Dang, we moved all our stuff from New Jersey to Vermont and ran out of money when the only job I could get was picking apples."
Paul, it's happened more than once. Many transplants have moved up here with the intent of kicking back and living life at a slower pace, figuring they'll take a "low paying job" (like $30k/yr) and use the money from the sale of their home where the COL is higher. Then they find out how fierce the competition is for those rare $30k/yr jobs and watch their savings become drained. Sure, you should look before you leap. This is why some of us are so vehement about telling it like it is. If you come up to VT, bring your money and your source of income from elsewhere, and expect to get bled by the state and the towns. If the pretty scenery makes up for that, great.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:09 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,013,162 times
Quote:
Threads like this one wouldn't have been very useful to me.
Threads like this are very useful to many people who are considering a new region.

Quote:
I like Vermont a lot and somehow seem to end up defending it here.
That's half of the reason these issues get hashed and rehashed hundreds of times.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:09 PM

444 posts, read 683,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
Paul, it's happened more than once. Many transplants have moved up here with the intent of kicking back and living life at a slower pace, figuring they'll take a "low paying job" (like $30k/yr) and use the money from the sale of their home where the COL is higher. Then they find out how fierce the competition is for those rare $30k/yr jobs and watch their savings become drained. Sure, you should look before you leap. This is why some of us are so vehement about telling it like it is. If you come up to VT, bring your money and your source of income from elsewhere, and expect to get bled by the state and the towns. If the pretty scenery makes up for that, great.
I guess you and Hopes are greater humanitarians than I am. Most adults I know would be cautious about moving anywhere. I think you're talking about people who need close adult supervision.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:31 AM

5,819 posts, read 13,274,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Am I sad my kids have left the area? Sure, but I'm happy that they've left as well, since they have a brighter future with more job opportunity and more things to do where they are.
Vermont has to recruit businesses with good paying jobs.

Vermont has become a nice place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live there. For a whole lot less money, I can move south and buy a home and afford to visit Vermont for the summers. It way less expensive to visit than live here. Vermont should be happy since they need more tourists anyway. Too bad most of the tourist visits will be former residents!
One of my children moved to VT after college, went on to get a master's in education, married and have children. They love VT. There children are unspoiled, engage in many outdoor sports, honor students, and do not go shopping as a hobby. They live a budgeted life, which has been a good example for their children. Originally from NJ they would never return. Yes, lots of jobs, but also much higher taxes than VT, rude people, congestion, crowded schools, etc.

Sure many people move south to FL, NC or SC, but a lot of them move back north. Property taxes may be cheaper but there are other taxes such as a personal tax on your vehicles which you pay every year. I have friends who moved south and miss family, friends and things to do. The grass may look greener on the other side, but it still needs to be cut.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:11 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,013,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
The grass may look greener on the other side, but it still needs to be cut.
Love the bold part. Never heard it that way. It's my quote for the day!

Old 04-21-2013, 12:12 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,411,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Love the bold part. Never heard it that way. It's my quote for the day!
If I move south, I can afford to pay someone to cut the grass!

Old 04-21-2013, 12:39 PM

16,936 posts, read 22,206,840 times
I'd just skip having a lawn personally. Some wildflowers and some apple trees will fill a yard up just fine...

Old 04-21-2013, 07:26 PM

20,786 posts, read 35,828,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
If I move south, I can afford to pay someone to cut the grass!
Why? Woods, gardens, and plantings are more productive and offer better use. Grass does not produce any food that I can consume, yet costs extra money to maintain.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:03 PM

124 posts, read 152,618 times
That nice green grass (the literal and the metaphorical) costs a lot of money and time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or