Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:53 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,131,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang! View Post
Oh come on, its not that they don't care, its that whatever you own in Vermont turns to dirt so fast nobody can afford to keep anything nice.

Are you kidding? You couldn't pay me enough to walk around on high heels. Literally! I wouldn't take a job where it was expected. Or pantyhose, ewwwwwww!

I work barefoot (at home) or in neat, comfy shoes when I need to be presentable. Comfy sandals when it's warm enough. High heels? Never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 06:54 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
I second that.

There is no good reason to wear high heels. They are unhealthy for the knees, for the Achilles tendon, for the feet and for the back. They make it impossible to move fast in an emergency. They also are, at least to me, very uncomfortable.

Women wear them because they are fashionable and they can be sexy. They show the curve of the calf to good advantage. They please men.

Those are not good enough reasons for me. My comfort, health and safety are more important.

When women ran for their lives on 9/11, if they were wearing high heels they had to take them off and run in their stocking feet. Imagine running in virtually bare feet on the streets of Manhattan, let alone in a disaster area.

Have you noticed that so many women's shoes are destabilizing to the feet? Even low heeled shoes often have the heels tapered so that they are narrower at the bottom than at the top. I heard a theory once that says women's fashions were traditionally designed to limit women's mobility, and make it impossible for them to run away from men.

I do not own a pair of high heels. I bought a pair years ago to impress someone I was interested in. When I was going though old shoes before moving to Vermont, those shoes disintegrated in my hands.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I heard a theory once that says women's fashions were traditionally designed to limit women's mobility, and make it impossible for them to run away from men.

That's a great story! I'd love to read a psychosocial history of fashion. I read such a history of food (by Reay Tannahill) and it was fascinating.

Meanwhile, I feel lucky to live in Vermont where there aren't expectations to dress for discomfort. I wouldn't do it no matter where I lived.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:13 AM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times
I don't buy the women's clothes as a means to slow women down. It is simply human competition for mates. If some women make themselves look more attractive via high heels other women have to wear them as well or settle for a lessor mate.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:20 AM

986 posts, read 2,333,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
I don't buy the women's clothes as a means to slow women down. It is simply human competition for mates. If some women make themselves look more attractive via high heels other women have to wear them as well or settle for a lessor mate.
I think you're right. Check out the history of them on Wikipedia.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:39 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
If a man demanded that I wore high heels to please him, I would consider him a lesser mate. And I would probably move on.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:19 AM

894 posts, read 1,557,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
If a man demanded that I wore high heels to please him, I would consider him a lesser mate. And I would probably move on.
It is not about being asked to wear them by a man, it is choosing to wear them to attract a better man. After you have the man's attention you can lose the high heels. As women often do. I don't see many women in my affluent suburb wearing highheels, but I bet they did before they landed the Mcmansion gig.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:37 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
It's just weird to me not to dress up nicely to go to work. I used to hate dressing up but it felt nice to look good to go to an office.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
It's just weird to me not to dress up nicely to go to work. I used to hate dressing up but it felt nice to look good to go to an office.
It depends what "work" means. Some offices are dressier than others, even in Vermont.

Then, too, there's dressing up nicely and there's dressing to kill -- as in killing my back and feet. I dress "business dressy" for meetings and events, and more casually for county fairs & volunteer gatherings, because that's the vibe. But NO HEELS OR PANTYHOSE.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 PM

986 posts, read 2,333,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I absolutely hate dressing up to go to work. What's really annoying is there are people in the library here who wear jeans to work. It must be nice to be on the academic side instead of the administrative side (I work in a college). The only time I don't have to wear a tie is when the students aren't around, but I still have to dress business casual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont