Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:14 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times

Advertisements

The two don't seem very different at all where they share a common border. Franklin and Berkshire Counties are a lot like Vermont; Hampshire County too. Otherwise, Mass is highly urbanized where Vermont is not. The difference is obvious. Probably most people would like a more Vermont-type environment but good jobs and challenging careers, among other things, usually win out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 01:08 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
The two don't seem very different at all where they share a common border. Franklin and Berkshire Counties are a lot like Vermont; Hampshire County too. Otherwise, Mass is highly urbanized where Vermont is not. The difference is obvious. Probably most people would like a more Vermont-type environment but good jobs and challenging careers, among other things, usually win out.
Very good points. Also most young people don't want to spend their younger years in a mostly rural environment. They are looking for not only careers, but they are also looking for the urban environment.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:21 AM

29 posts, read 117,458 times
I live in NH and prefer a rural lifestyle. I love VT, lots of beautiful country. There is some nice country in MA too. Every now and then I get an urge to visit a city, Boston is my favorite large city in the US (although Portland ME is my favorite small city). I'm more partial to northern New England--VT, NH, ME are my favorite states, would choose to live in one of these states than in MA. I'm older, I like peace and quiet, prefer the country, like to garden, read, hiking, etc. I can't remember the last time I went into a mall. I think the last time I ate at McDonalds was nearly 10 years ago. I don't need to live near a bunch of stores. It really is a matter of personal preference, depending on lifestyle and what a person wants in life--there are pros and cons to both.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ughdontevenbother View Post
No one apparently read the original post. I don't think anywhere is better than anywhere else. The problem lies in the fact that natives are cold and scornful when you say where you're from , as if nowhere else is good enough for vermont
I read your original post and have to ask, "Who really gives a rat's patootie?" Thicken your skin a bit. Perhaps the person who asked had a dry sense of humor. Maybe they wanted to test your temperament. How did you react to their reply?

I'm from LawnGuyland and try to stifle my accent when in VT. Can you imagine the silliness I deal with? I've dealt with a lot of good-natured ribbing. I've had a few narrow-minded folk decide they wanted nothing to do with me because I'm a flatlander. That's their loss, not mine. The bottomline is that I've helped my neighbors, learned the way things are done in VT and never once told anyone how to do it LI style. It's a matter of respect. I gave them mine and earned theirs. Today the only thing anyone is sorry about is having to listen to my wicked bad LI accent.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:53 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Sounds like you should move back to MA... Im sure the locals wont miss you.
I assume that was to the OP, right?

Old 04-29-2013, 12:26 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
The only thing I envy about my buddy who lives in Morrisville is that he doesn't have to deal with traffic.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:03 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
Gee, you think you get treated rough in Vermont, try moving to the south like my family and I did back in 1996!! Talk about having to earn respect. You open you mouth and speak, just open your mouth and speak, and they come at you "Where you from (not where ARE you from), you're a damn Yankee"!! I and my family put up with that for 7 long years. Our patience bore out with making friends there (some) once people knew we weren't malicous and weren't going to get discouraged by their ribbing and insults. There were some that NEVER accepted us, but, oh well, that's everywhere. My son really got it in high school from the other students when they found out he was a northerner but he hung in there, even though he came home in tears sometimes. People are cruel sometimes, I am sure it would be the same if someone from rural Vermont moved to big city Massachusetts, people are people. Value the friendships you make and don't expect everyone to like or accept you. Remember, it takes time. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:49 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Gee, you think you get treated rough in Vermont, try moving to the south like my family and I did back in 1996!! Talk about having to earn respect. You open you mouth and speak, just open your mouth and speak, and they come at you "Where you from (not where ARE you from), you're a damn Yankee"!! I and my family put up with that for 7 long years. Our patience bore out with making friends there (some) once people knew we weren't malicous and weren't going to get discouraged by their ribbing and insults. There were some that NEVER accepted us, but, oh well, that's everywhere. My son really got it in high school from the other students when they found out he was a northerner but he hung in there, even though he came home in tears sometimes. People are cruel sometimes, I am sure it would be the same if someone from rural Vermont moved to big city Massachusetts, people are people. Value the friendships you make and don't expect everyone to like or accept you. Remember, it takes time. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
I think you may have had it worse than anyone dealing with Flatlander vs. Woodchuck debates....

Frankly, I would prefer to be the Vermonter trying to live in Boston.....it would be light years more forgiving than being a Yankee in the deep south.

Funny story.....well sort of funny:

A couple years ago I was traveling for business and was flying out of Knoxville heading to ATL and the flight crew was very proud of being from TN.......VERY proud.....the gentleman opposite me and one row up asked for some water or something which prompted some friendly ribbing from both flight attendants since he was "Cleahly a yankie".......this carried on for an uncomfortable amount of time. then she went away.......came back a couple minutes later with another FA and continued to rib him a little about being a "...no-athanah....".......mind you the bulk of this flight was from everywhere but the south. When she came over to my row I looked at her and in a relatively joking manner asked "You do know the war is over, right?".......to which she just stared at me and like 30 people began clapping.....some folks down there take things WAY too seriously.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:12 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,187 times
Awesome story lol...

Old 05-03-2013, 12:46 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
I think you may have had it worse than anyone dealing with Flatlander vs. Woodchuck debates....

Frankly, I would prefer to be the Vermonter trying to live in Boston.....it would be light years more forgiving than being a Yankee in the deep south.

Funny story.....well sort of funny:

A couple years ago I was traveling for business and was flying out of Knoxville heading to ATL and the flight crew was very proud of being from TN.......VERY proud.....the gentleman opposite me and one row up asked for some water or something which prompted some friendly ribbing from both flight attendants since he was "Cleahly a yankie".......this carried on for an uncomfortable amount of time. then she went away.......came back a couple minutes later with another FA and continued to rib him a little about being a "...no-athanah....".......mind you the bulk of this flight was from everywhere but the south. When she came over to my row I looked at her and in a relatively joking manner asked "You do know the war is over, right?".......to which she just stared at me and like 30 people began clapping.....some folks down there take things WAY too seriously.
Sounds like you were the one who took it too seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont