U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-09-2007, 03:11 PM
 
Location: hinesburg, vt
1,574 posts, read 3,231,633 times
Reputation: 370
Speaking of heating oil I am so glad that I did not waffle and did the pre buy this year at $2.59 p/gal. Last year we lost about .25 p/gal on the pre buy and quite a few folks based on that were opting this year to go the COD route. I bought enough to insure I would have a full tank to start off the next winter season. I have heard COD rates now are up to 3.00 and expected to continue climbing. Earlier advice given not to base your assumptions and opinions on visiting in Sept/Oct is pretty good. This time of year from now to right through April is the true prooving ground on being a resident here.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-10-2007, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Vermont
1,457 posts, read 2,551,017 times
Reputation: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Speaking of heating oil I am so glad that I did not waffle and did the pre buy this year at $2.59 p/gal. Last year we lost about .25 p/gal on the pre buy and quite a few folks based on that were opting this year to go the COD route. I bought enough to insure I would have a full tank to start off the next winter season. I have heard COD rates now are up to 3.00 and expected to continue climbing. Earlier advice given not to base your assumptions and opinions on visiting in Sept/Oct is pretty good. This time of year from now to right through April is the true prooving ground on being a resident here.
As of Friday. COD was $3.00 to $3.30 at the half dozen or so places I've been checking. I had been calling around and found $2.94 on Thurs and I locked in. When the delivery guy came on Friday he said their cash price jumped to $3.11 on Friday.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2007, 01:53 PM
 
4,099 posts, read 7,540,750 times
Reputation: 4411
Default Vermonters

Our daughter has lived in southern VT for 15 years and it is a quaint and lovely life. Her children haven't a clue what a "Toys R Us" store us, haven't been to a mall, and are thrilled to go to Home Depot and get a balloon. The neighbors all look out for each other and help one another. When they have something to sell, they sit it out by the road with a sign and if someone wants to buy it they leave the money in the coffee can. They don't have to explain what they want on their pizza, because the owner knows how they like it. If you're sick, they arrive with food and take turns watching your children.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2007, 03:21 PM
 
Location: Vermont
1,434 posts, read 4,510,632 times
Reputation: 409
That's great. I've read that in Vermont people watch out for you. Not like in NYC, where your friends are often too busy, your neighbors often don't even know you and strangers are usually indifferent or even predatory. In NYC you have to develop a support system among friends, long-time neighbors and your professionals (doctor, vet, etc.).

Southern Vermont, and Vermont in general, sound more and more inviting. I have a suspicion that I will have moved up there within the next year or two.

Last edited by arel; 11-10-2007 at 04:23 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2007, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Vermont
1,457 posts, read 2,551,017 times
Reputation: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Our daughter has lived in southern VT for 15 years and it is a quaint and lovely life. Her children haven't a clue what a "Toys R Us" store us, haven't been to a mall, and are thrilled to go to Home Depot and get a balloon. The neighbors all look out for each other and help one another. When they have something to sell, they sit it out by the road with a sign and if someone wants to buy it they leave the money in the coffee can. They don't have to explain what they want on their pizza, because the owner knows how they like it. If you're sick, they arrive with food and take turns watching your children.
I buy homegrown fresh vegetables from a lady who has a stand in front of her house. There's a bank bag so you make change. I'm not kidding, there's usualy 50 to 100 dollars in it. Twentys and fiftys. It feels good to see that, kind of like the old days. Evidently she isn't getting ripped off or she'd surely stop.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2007, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Western views of Mansfield/Camels Hump!
1,305 posts, read 1,872,779 times
Reputation: 568
I buy honey and eggs from two different farms and they both do the same thing...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2007, 04:28 PM
 
Location: Vermont
1,434 posts, read 4,510,632 times
Reputation: 409
I saw something like that in the Pioneer Valley, I think in or around Montague, MA. I originally thought the stand was closed, since no one was there. On the way back, we stopped (a local was driving). Then I realized that the stand was unattended because it was on the honor system. You took what you wanted and put your money in the kitty.

I was blown away. This was about 15 years ago, and I still remember it, almost with awe. In NYC, the money would be stolen, the food would be stolen and even the table would be stolen. This isn't always the case here, of course, but you can bet that nothing is on the honor system here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 06:18 AM
 
6,764 posts, read 13,624,892 times
Reputation: 4466
Yes, people leaving out items and expecting you to pay (honor system!) is odd if you are from a Metro place (like NY).
When we drove up to Littleton, NH a few summers ago, we went by some Vermont rest stop and they had a pot of coffee set out. Next to it was a sign and cup if you wanted to pay...?
Weird. (and nice)

I remember one time I was in Pennsylvania and they had all these wares outside and I said to my husband THEY'D NEVER DO THIS IN NY.

It's good to see these things and know some people are still honest.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Vermont
1,434 posts, read 4,510,632 times
Reputation: 409
I've read on this forum that people in Vermont often leave their doors unlocked for deliveries. The delivery person is asked to leave the package inside the house.

Try that in NYC or in any metro area. See if your package is there when you get home. See if any of your possessions are there when you get home. See if your house is still there. And if it is, wonder if it is safe to go inside. Wonder if your other family members and pets are safe. Wonder if a violent criminal is waiting for you, or if a vagrant or even a gang has moved in and taken over your space.

My friend in Brattleboro once commented on my suspiciousness of people. I reminded her that I am from New York. She said that others she knew from New York were also suspicious.

It would be nice to live somewhere where you can usually trust your social environment. I'm so used to locking the front door unless I am not in sight of it, even if I go to the back yard. I don't lock it when I take out garbage, but I often wonder if someone will iinvade the house when my back is turned. I'm used to locking the car if I step out to mail a letter. This must seem paranoid and bizarre to a Vermonter, but in NYC it is perfectly normal and appropiate behavior.

Just about everything is based on distrust. This is probably not unique to metro areas, but when I go to a group home, for example, a group home manager has to sign my time log. When I see children at a day care center, the person in charge has to sign my progress note and time sheet. Patients at a clinics or private offices usually have to sign in. I have to sign in at the chiropractor's office, although not at my doctor's office. It's all about accountability, but, at the same time, it's based on the expectation that you will bill for unperformed services if you are not very carefully watched.

Of course, when there is third party payment, either private or public, there does need to be oversight to prevent abuse. I wonder if this is also the case in Vermont.

Last edited by arel; 11-11-2007 at 07:14 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2007, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Williston, VT
41 posts, read 82,622 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
I've read on this forum that people in Vermont often leave their doors unlocked for deliveries. The delivery person is asked to leave the package inside the house.

Try that in NYC or in any metro area. See if your package is there when you get home. See if any of your possessions are there when you get home. See if your house is still there. And if it is, wonder if it is safe to go inside. Wonder if your other family members and pets are safe. Wonder if a violent criminal is waiting for you, or if a vagrant or even a gang has moved in and taken over your space.

My friend in Brattleboro once commented on my suspiciousness of people. I reminded her that I am from New York. She said that others she knew from New York were also suspicious.

It would be nice to live somewhere where you can usually trust your social environment. I'm so used to locking the front door unless I am not in sight of it, even if I go to the back yard. I don't lock it when I take out garbage, but I often wonder if someone will iinvade the house when my back is turned. I'm used to locking the car if I step out to mail a letter. This must seem paranoid and bizarre to a Vermonter, but in NYC it is perfectly normal and appropiate behavior.
Speaking of deliveries, the UPS guy would leave anything from an Amazon.com package (books, CDs, whey protein, etc...) to a computer on my front porch. I order online on a regular basis, and I have never had a problem with packages being stolen. It may be a function of where I live. When the UPS guy first did this I complained about negligence. Now I'm glad I don't have to take my yellow slip to UPS after hours to pick up my long awaited package. If there are any times when I do feel uneasy about it, I just ask my next door neighbor to take the package for me.

Some people I know in Vermont leave their house doors unlocked and street-parked cars unlocked. I can never do this even in the most rural areas of VT. Neither can I relate to the mentality of not locking doors. In NYC, cars are stolen even though the car is locked, equipped with an alarm system, and the steering wheel is locked with The Club. Homes are broken into even though all of the doors and windows (first and second floors) have steel bars around them.

Although I have lived in Vermont for eight years, I cannot break the habit of locking doors and taking extra measures to protect my property. I too have that suspicion you're referring to. I guess if you live in NYC long enough, one of the survival skills is to never trust anyone around you.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top