U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:31 AM

16,936 posts, read 22,220,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I still have yet to meet anyone who has seen a fisher. I'm pretty freaked out by their pictures though and if I do see one I'm pretty sure I'll just freeze and be attacked - unless crying and going to the bathroom in your pants is an effective defense. Then I'll be just fine.
I've seen them. But I trap them too so perhaps that's a bit different. I have heard them while camping many times when I wasn't trapping. Pretty startling scream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
From what I have read, they tend not to be aggressive towards people. I could be wrong on that, though. Small children would seem to me to be at risk. Especially babies.

I haven't read of babies being taken, though. If a small child or baby had been attacked, or, God forbid, killed, it would be all over the news.

Even so, if you harm my cat(s), you are harming me.

It is largely because of fisher cats that I want a place to live that has a foyer. I want to be able to open my door and know that my cats are safely on the other side of a second door.

It is also largely because of fisher cats that I am inhibited from living in a rural location. We don't have fisher cats in town. Not yet.
Currently they mostly have a healthy fear of humans. Any individuals that have lost that fear, and, if eventually the population loses its fear of people, there will be more common attacks...sort of like in California where the mountain lions have lost their fear of people and are more frequently attacking people than ever before, after they banned hunting them.

Town isn't completely safe from them...they wander into town now and then. Don't let the fishers scare you out of living rural. Put a good electric fence around a yard to help protect the cats (wires close together, fishers can get through small openings) outside of another fence to protect the cats from the electric fence.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:33 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,522,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
Even so, if you harm my cat(s), you are harming me.

It is largely because of fisher cats that I want a place to live that has a foyer. I want to be able to open my door and know that my cats are safely on the other side of a second door.

It is also largely because of fisher cats that I am inhibited from living in a rural location. We don't have fisher cats in town. Not yet.
I feel the same all the way around! 20 years ago my beloved 8-year-old indoor-outdoor cat Wicca sat on my NH deck and watched me drive off to work. I never saw her again. I've never gotten over her loss and I will NEVER let that happen again.

We have suspected fisher cats occasionally taking felines in Rutland City. My husband and I built (well, had someone build) an outdoor enclosure for our cats that goes around the back and side of the house. The cats can't get out and nothing bigger than birds and squirrels can get in. Though other cats do sometimes skulk outside the enclosure until all our cats are screaming.

Anyway, since this photo was taken, the pen's been expanded to about three times this size (and the trailer visible next door was finally removed -- YAY!):

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 07-31-2009 at 10:43 AM..

Old 07-31-2009, 10:43 AM

1,475 posts, read 3,665,360 times
I will not have a pet in rural vermont that isn't on a leash or indoors. I do not even trust enclosures. We'll let our dogs run in the yard if we are with them but that's it. I do not want to lose a dog and wake up at 3 am hearing our usual coyote calls at night. I couldn't handle that.

My wife wants to get a goat or even a small donkey as a pet. I refuse, I could not handle waking up and finding it dead in the yard.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,608 times
simple thing to do is buy a dog. something game like an Airedale. Unless the cats wander far away, the Airedale will keep the area around the home clear of predators... but the dog must have access to the outdoors at all times..."pet door" . But be aware ... skunks like pet doors and are quite bold... but as long as you keep food stuffs away from that access area, you should have no issues.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:14 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,058,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
I feel the same all the way around! 20 years ago my beloved 8-year-old indoor-outdoor cat Wicca sat on my NH deck and watched me drive off to work. I never saw her again. I've never gotten over her loss and I will NEVER let that happen again.

We have suspected fisher cats occasionally taking felines in Rutland City. My husband and I built (well, had someone build) an outdoor enclosure for our cats that goes around the back and side of the house. The cats can't get out and nothing bigger than birds and squirrels can get in. Though other cats do sometimes skulk outside the enclosure until all our cats are screaming.

Anyway, since this photo was taken, the pen's been expanded to about three times this size (and the trailer visible next door was finally removed -- YAY!):
If you are worried about fisher cats, don't leave your cats unattended in your enclosure if you are not around. They will either dig under the fence or chew their way through. My neighbor in Brookfield had a similar wire fence, but the openings were smaller and a fisher cat(s) got through and wiped out his bird flock. Besides porcupines, chickens and ducks they also feed on cats and small dogs. They have a very defined killing technique. They repeatedly jump over and around their victim attacking the face until they bleed to death or tire out.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:03 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,522,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
If you are worried about fisher cats, don't leave your cats unattended in your enclosure if you are not around. They will either dig under the fence or chew their way through.
In nine years that's never happened. We copied the model of successful cat enclosures. The bottoms of the cage "walls" are buried fairly deep and the ground would be pretty tough to dig through. Early on, my husband bolstered possible escape hatches when our own Houdini, Sammy the Serpent, showed us the weak spots.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
In nine years that's never happened. We copied the model of successful cat enclosures. The bottoms of the cage "walls" are buried fairly deep and the ground would be pretty tough to dig through. Early on, my husband bolstered possible escape hatches when our own Houdini, Sammy the Serpent, showed us the weak spots.
You are most likely fine where you live. When my neighbor and I had the fisher cat problem we contacted a pest control expert and we were told that they usually move into an area if there are porcupines around. The porcupines are one of their top prays. In our case it was because of the large number of birds in the area. Anyway, we were told to keep our cats indoors because when they can't find porcupines or game birds they then go for cats. There are a few ways to keep them away. Poison does not work. They need to be trapped, shot or the easy way is to put the urine of their natural predators like wolves and fox around property lines. If they want a cat or small dog, very few fences with the exception of heavy gage wire will stop them. They have I believe about 38 very sharp teeth that they use to chew their way through fencing, etc.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
You are most likely fine where you live. When my neighbor and I had the fisher cat problem we contacted a pest control expert and we were told that they usually move into an area if there are porcupines around. The porcupines are one of their top prays. In our case it was because of the large number of birds in the area. Anyway, we were told to keep our cats indoors because when they can't find porcupines or game birds they then go for cats. There are a few ways to keep them away. Poison does not work. They need to be trapped, shot or the easy way is to put the urine of their natural predators like wolves and fox around property lines. If they want a cat or small dog, very few fences with the exception of heavy gage wire will stop them. They have I believe about 38 very sharp teeth that they use to chew their way through fencing, etc.
The only downside to fox urine is it will attract foxes (and coyotes too). Possibly even deer but they're mainly only a problem if you have a garden...

A fisher could get through a weaker fence, the metal wire must be pretty heavy to stop them. I held one in a foothold trap once that was wired up with 12 gauge wire to a stake (I switched over entirely to cable since then though).

Old 01-01-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The only downside to fox urine is it will attract foxes (and coyotes too). Possibly even deer but they're mainly only a problem if you have a garden...

A fisher could get through a weaker fence, the metal wire must be pretty heavy to stop them. I held one in a foothold trap once that was wired up with 12 gauge wire to a stake (I switched over entirely to cable since then though).
I agree. If they are not a problem for people they are an amazing animal to watch. Especially when thay are attacking their pray.
Without question you need a heavy gauge wire. My neighbour was the first to run into issues with them. He had plain chicken wire to start and they got through that with no problem. He then changed to the heavier gauge wire fence I mentioned in the previous post and it slowed them down, but they got through that as well.
The male is a larger animal, about the size of a full grown cat, but the female is much smaller and can get into places a larger male may not fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont