Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 05:18 PM

4 posts, read 9,767 times

Advertisements

Hi there my wife just got a job in Hinesburg which begins in mid August. We're moving from Shutesbury / Amherst area in Mass.

We need to find a rental (house preferably, otherwise an apt in a house -- but not in a complex/condo or anywhere like that) in the under $1200 range that's commutable and I'd love some advice on where to look other than Craigslist and what to expect pricing wise. I know that it's not much of a rental market (we'd love to buy but wont be able to afford to for several years likely).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 12:43 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
Are you looking for a more urban/suburban environment or would you prefer small town/rural?
If you are looking for small town/rural I would recommend looking into the towns in northern Addison County - Bristol, Starksboro, Monkton, Ferrisburg and Vergennes. All are an easy commute to Hinesburg and housing is generally cheaper than Chittenden County.
Try the Addison Independent housing in those areas:
Classified Ads (Published: 05/27/2013) | Addison County Independent

Hinesburg itself is great. Nice small town, primarily rural but with a growing village area. Some new housing developments as well. The local paper is the Hinesburg Record but it only comes out 1x per month. The Burlington Free Press would be the daily paper and worth checking out for housing. Also check out Seven Days, a weekly alt paper.

The Hinesburg Record
Burlington Free Press | Burlington news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Burlington, Vermont | burlingtonfreepress.com
Seven Days | Vermont's Independent Voice

Other links which may have housing leads for Williston/Shelburne/Charlotte/South Burlington (suburban)
Williston Observer
Shelburne News - What Shelburne Reads
The Other Paper | South Burlington's Community Newspaper
https://www.facebook.com/thecitizenvt

Old 05-30-2013, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 9,767 times
Wow thanks for all the links... we're looking for rural preferably and older housing stock. I had come up with most that list of towns but I didn't know where ads would be posted other than craigslist (and I did find the addison paper).

Do you know whether there's any pattern to rentals in terms of timing? i.e. where I'm coming from (Amherst, MA area) the majority of rentals tend to start in August because of the large student population (and because most people don't like moving in the winter). I am just not sure whether it will serve me well to wait until the last minute (i.e. late July) for more to show up hopefully or whether there's pretty much a steady flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 04:19 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
If you were looking in Burlington most of the rentals turn over June 1. I don't think there is much of a pattern for areas outside of Burlington.
Please let me know if you have any further questions as I know the area well!
EDITED TO ADD: Charlotte is really nice and rural. Pricy though. Worth a look if you find something you may be interested in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont