Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 715 times

Advertisements

Hi,

MY husband and I are thinking of moving to VT. Mainly because of his career. He is joining the State Trooper force in Rutland. I am a teacher in Miami and born and raised in South Florida. I am ready for a change but I am aware that the weather is def going to be a factor. He is Bahamian and so we both are used to the tropical weather. I'm a veteran teacher so my main concern is finding a job and school for our 13 year old son. Any suggestions, concerns, well wishes or should we just stay put? FYI- I love people but there are waaaayy too many in Miami.

Cassandra & Walford Rolle
#ThatsHowWeRolle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 09:52 PM

298 posts, read 338,111 times
Default Moving to Vermont

I don't want to scare you, but if you're used to sunshine and warm weather, the New England Winters will crush you. There are a lot of grey cold days, rain/sleet snow and just overcast. Vermont is ranked as one of the cloudiest states in the country. Summers can be nice, once you get past mud season and bug season, but you're talking 2-3 months of nice weather a year (July/Aug/September). July can be VERY WET.

Yes, South Florida is very crowded, Vermont is the exact opposite.

With that said, you can find less populated areas in the Carolinas or Georgia, for less money and not have to suffer through Vermont winters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRolleMia2VT View Post
Hi,

MY husband and I are thinking of moving to VT. Mainly because of his career. He is joining the State Trooper force in Rutland. I am a teacher in Miami and born and raised in South Florida. I am ready for a change but I am aware that the weather is def going to be a factor. He is Bahamian and so we both are used to the tropical weather. I'm a veteran teacher so my main concern is finding a job and school for our 13 year old son. Any suggestions, concerns, well wishes or should we just stay put? FYI- I love people but there are waaaayy too many in Miami.

Cassandra & Walford Rolle
#ThatsHowWeRolle

Old 02-19-2020, 05:35 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,959,574 times
What exactly are you looking for?
Vermont's weather certainly will be different from what you're used to. We get snow, cold temps, and less sun during the winter. You'll need winter clothes, to learn how to drive in snow, and get used to way less people and in Rutland, and a lot less big box stores and shopping opportunities.
On the other hand, our summers are awesome. We have a lot of places to enjoy the outdoors. Pine Hill park in Rutland is a gem for hiking and mountain biking. Killington has free concerts on the mountain during the summer as do many other towns around. The paramount theater downtown has some awesome shows and being a fairly small venue, has no bad seats. Compared to Miami, you might be bored or enjoy the much slower pace of life. Nightlife is fairly limited. Any airport is at least an hour away other than Rutland which only flies small connector flights.
Winters are what you make of them. They bring challenges and opportunities. Killington is minutes away and has some of the best skiing in the east. Rutland has skating rinks and a number of places for the kids to go sledding. You either hate the cold or embrace it and get outside.
Vermont isn't for everyone. Neither is the south. Plenty of people have gone south and come back as well as the reverse. We don't have many critters that can kill you, nor excessive heat and humidity. Traffic is way less and the peace and quiet here is usually minutes from your doorstep. Vermont is a wholesale change for you. Better? Only you can decide.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:22 AM

112 posts, read 50,480 times
I agree with the opinions already expressed. VT winters can be brutal, especially for those moving here from warmer environs! Unless you've got experience with a long, potentially super cold winter, it will be a big adjustment.

I can't speak to schools in the Rutland area so no idea how easy it will be for you to find work (the teacher) or how good or bad the schools are here.

It's a quiet life here, IMO, which I prefer, but there are many cons to the pros, the big one being it is very expensive to live here and property taxes are high. I know. Costs are high everywhere, but this is really worth looking into before you pack up and head over.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:08 PM

14,277 posts, read 6,877,448 times
Don't let the weather scare you away. Just be prepared for it - be sure to budget for a major cost for coats, hats, gloves, sweaters, fleece jackets and base layers (long underwear), as well as snow tires. It is very beautiful in winter. And the summers are divine.

Read all of the many threads on this forum to get a good idea of what it will be like. The lack of traffic and crowds is wonderful. But that also means you will have to drive some distance to find the stores. Be sure you find a home that is relatively close to the necessities (i.e., grocery stores and gas stations).

I moved here from MD over 5 years ago. I still like it. It's an adventure.

Old 02-19-2020, 03:15 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,945,144 times
I would highly suggest making a visit in winter - honestly, there's no way to know whether you will be able to live with the cold/etc unless you experience it. For some people, it's amazing and they can't wait for the first flakes to fly. For others, winter is six months of pure misery. And yes, summers are incredible but very very short!

Old 02-20-2020, 08:09 AM

1,002 posts, read 901,427 times
I moved here from Florida around 5 years ago, and love it. Summers are beautiful, humidity is a lot lower, and winters have been (for me) challenging in a fun way. I enjoy keeping my windows open 6-7 months of the year, and for those other months you'll be alright as long as you get the proper gear for it. Set aside some money for jackets, socks, hats, gloves, thermal underwear, but also things like undercoatings for your vehicles, winter tires, extra costs of heating in winter, etc. etc..

Old 02-20-2020, 09:18 AM

56 posts, read 61,580 times
You left out mud season and black flies.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:28 PM

1,002 posts, read 901,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwriter View Post
You left out mud season and black flies.
Better than sand season and mosquitoes, spiders and flies year-round.

Old 02-22-2020, 05:40 PM

542 posts, read 694,300 times
You really can not get a place more opposite then where you come from. I think it will be a challenge. Personally I am doubtful it will work out after watching many southerners come and go very quickly. Rutland itself is a crappy town, actually coming from Miami you might not even consider it a town. It will seem like nowhere to you. Vermont is a special place but requires a special mindset. Make a list of all you have in Miami and then write the opposite down. That will be Vermont. Some though will be very good. The Miami list would include things like traffic..no none in Vermont...crime no none in vermont...nightclubs...no none in Vermont...warm sunny days...no none in Vermont. ETC. I believe you can get a teaching job. It will pay almost nothing. Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: