Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 04:12 PM

16 posts, read 23,588 times

Advertisements

I am orginally from CT and have been living in Lake Tahoe CA for the last 7 years. FWIW anyone who has not visited Tahoe should try to fit it in on a vacation. Absolute beauty as far as the eye can see. That being said, my parents are getting older and some health problems are arising. I am not interested in living back in CT as I prefer mountains to concrete, healthy lifestyle to that of indulgence and drugs as well as many other reasons. I have spend many birthdays back in the day in Burlington and many many miles on the Long Trail, both of which brings many happy memories. I have friends in Warren and they are pushing me to move there which would be nice to have people I know around during this transition.

Just food for thought, Tahoe has a very limited job market and I have always maintained a good job and most of the time two or three so I am used to this dynamic. I know that VT is much more rural and commute times can dictate what jobs you can maintain. I hope to spend the next month sending out resumes and planning trips up to VT to interview and secure a job.

Two big questions: What is living in Warren like? I hope to get a rental and help around the property if the landlord is willing. I am used to splitting 5 cords a winter to heat my Tahoe house and I enjoy puttering around and doing yard work type of things. Are there places to rent where the landlord will allow these activities or is that a pipe dream. Second, I know that Sugarbush is near Warren and I have a lot of expierence in resort marketing and management and was hoping to work for a mountain like Sugarbush. Are these jobs available? Thanks for taking the time and I can't wait to start a new adventure in the beautiful state of VT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 11:16 AM

Anyone?

Old 07-14-2013, 05:47 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,215 times
My experience of Warren is stalking the store looking for Lawson's Liquids. Seems like a pretty mellow place. You'd be fairly close to plenty to do if you're outdoor oriented.
Having friends already there helps with the transition. They should be able to help you out I would think. Let us know how the adventure pans out!

Old 07-14-2013, 07:18 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,187 times
MRVPhotog lives in the area; you can try PMing to get more info if he doesn't chime in...

I personally love the Mad River Valley, we even looked into moving to Waitsfield. Lots to do, good sense of community, beautiful surroundings...great local food and yes, of course, Lawson's.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:49 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
Here's the jobs page for Sugarbush
Vermont Ski Resort Jobs & Employment

Try the Valley Reporter or Craigslist for places to stay
The_Valley_Reporter - Classifieds

I would think there are people out there who might exchange lower rent for taking care of a property but it might be tricky to find.

Life in Warren is good. It's quiet but there is lots to do as long as you like outdoor stuff, sounds like you do

Old 07-15-2013, 09:57 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,187 times
See and there I forgot that Joe lives in the area too!!!

Old 07-15-2013, 11:16 AM

Great thanks for the info. I will be trying to set up interviews at both Sugarbush and Mad River Glen as I believe they are sister resorts. I know that employers prefer to offer jobs to native Vermonters so that is a little scary but I know how to hit the streets and find work. Does anyone know if there is a single scene in or around Warren? I am 34 and single and it is pretty important to me that I can socialize and meet women around where I live. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:18 PM

Also what is Lawson's Liquid

Old 07-15-2013, 08:02 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,935,813 times
Local brew made right there in Warren!

Lawson's Finest Liquids

Old 07-16-2013, 08:21 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiketheplanet444 View Post
Also what is Lawson's Liquid
Awesome beer and sold at the Warren General Store. Disappears soon after it's delivered and for good reason. Vermont is a a craft beer lovers heaven and Warren is one of the holy grail sites. Store is a great place to check out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont