Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:11 PM

270 posts, read 283,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
My EX liked this stuff. She still looks half her age.

Since 1899, Bag Balm has been the farmer's friend helping keep dairy cows from becoming chapped from the harsh Vermont environment. It's like having another hand on the farm or a helper around the house. Bag Balm works hard all year round - and works well. There's nothing like the original, and that's what you get when you buy this familiar green can.

Bag Balm | Dry Hands
I know about Bag Balm, but got my own anti-shrivel potions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 07:08 PM

Ok, this is how I will see myself ten years from now: a salvaged flatlander prune (thanks to BagBalm), driving around in a Subaru, while doing monthly trips to Trader Joe's and WholeFoods, chopping wood in the spring and summer, and finding a way to stay connected to the outside world in the winter.

Actually not much different from today.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:25 PM

150 posts, read 217,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibuddy3 View Post
In reading the posts, it seems that couples and families relocate to VT. What about single people? I have read somewhere that the probability of finding romance (again) in VT is slim to none, simply because of the lack of people there. Is there a real chance I would lock myself into becoming an old, shriveled solitairy woman?

Thoughts anyone?
You'll have no trouble finding romance. For most NEK men, the mere thought of a woman chopping wood and churning butter is an aphrodisiac against which they are helpless. Also, there's the Lexus and the $100k salary...

Seriously though, you really ought to consider spending a month or so (if you can) in the St J area during the winter, just to see if you can handle it. We're talking Dr. Zhivago territory...(your name isn't Lara by any chance, is it?)

Old 08-18-2013, 07:42 AM

662 posts, read 1,259,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovertennis View Post
You'll have no trouble finding romance. For most NEK men, the mere thought of a woman chopping wood and churning butter is an aphrodisiac against which they are helpless. Also, there's the Lexus and the $100k salary...

Seriously though, you really ought to consider spending a month or so (if you can) in the St J area during the winter, just to see if you can handle it. We're talking Dr. Zhivago territory...(your name isn't Lara by any chance, is it?)
True enough but if the winters continue like the last three I'd be OK with that.

On a side note- I once had a big truckload of tree length wood delivered and I cut-split that all I can say is never again!
Now I have natural gas and just turn up the thermostat.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Most certainly would not share my income with them, and live a quiet, unpretentious life.

Quote:
Nope, not Lara. I know you guys mean well, and there are certainly a number of people moving in who have no clue, or "think" they can handle cold weather. I'm used to sub-zero temps (F), and spent a significant amount of time in an area with year-round skiing, so I think the NEK would really not be an unexpected, unbearable experience in that regard. In fact, I welcome it, knowing what it feels like. Vermonters tell me they have missed the snow during the past couple of years. I'm really much more concerned about social integration.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
True enough but if the winters continue like the last three I'd be OK with that.

On a side note- I once had a big truckload of tree length wood delivered and I cut-split that all I can say is never again!
Now I have natural gas and just turn up the thermostat.
If you have access to natural gas, that's certainly an affordable and convenient way of keeping warm. Where I now live, I don't. The alternatives are LP or electric. Electric does not cut it, and LP is way too expensive. I got a wood burner installed several years ago, given that I live in the woods, and use the fallen trees from our storms to heat, with a bit of LP for backup to maintain a minimum temp overnight. A log splitter is a very handy tool for that purpose. A wooded lot, and a wood burner are must-haves in my new home.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:37 PM

31 posts, read 47,836 times
Default Winter up in Vermont with a front-wheel drive car...

Will a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback front-wheel drive car do well with winter tires up in Vermont if I stay out of the mountains and off dirt roads? Thanks!

Old 09-30-2013, 12:18 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,661,915 times
It all depends on how well you drive in the snow. It is front wheel drive, but it is a very lite car which can be good and bad.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelLA67 View Post
Will a 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback front-wheel drive car do well with winter tires up in Vermont if I stay out of the mountains and off dirt roads? Thanks!
Get your own thread! You may receive more responses that way.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:28 PM

Ok, bringing this thread full-circle. I am here!! I moved!!! It all happened so fast. Got the job in VT, but settled to live in Littleton. Happy as a clam. Let it snow now!!!

Will trade in the Lexus for a Subaru at some point. Renting for now, and apartments in NH tend to be a bit nicer than St. J. Beautiful commute, and best of all, no traffic jams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont