Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 06:03 PM

229 posts, read 316,658 times

Advertisements

I'm not from Vermont. I do visit very regularly.

http://www.darlinghill.com/2012/06/0...greener-grass/

Last edited by vter; 08-06-2013 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 07:34 PM

28 posts, read 62,969 times
Don't get me wrong--it sounds great (and my wife and I are among the professionals who would likely be interested be if we could both find jobs in the state), but from the forums, themselves, I get the impression that VT isn't actually a place to "grow roots" anymore (that the kids are leaving the state in droves). So, is this a case of wishful thinking on the writer's part, a case of undue negativity among the forum members or a little of both (which is so often the case)?

Cause, call me sentimental, but I'd really like to live in a place where my kids might want to stick around for awhile to see me through my (imminent) old age.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,262,883 times
There is a lot of negativity on this forum. Much, much more than I see in real life here.
But there is a lot of truth too. Jobs are hard to come by. A lot of our youth does leave for various reasons: job prospects and the desire to live somewhere else are the main reasons. BUT, many of those youth come back after they have started families because they want their kids to have the same kind of upbringing.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:45 AM

Vter--thanks for the reply. This is something my wife and I have been struggling with, but your response helps me see the issue a little more clearly. I can see how kids might want to venture out to see what else is out there (happens everywhere, in my opinion). Nice to know that many find their way back to VT, though.

Still can't find good jobs, though (and ours aren't ones that translate easily into working remotely). So, for us--for now--VT is just going to remain a really great place to visit. Maybe someday...

Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 AM

129 posts, read 234,468 times
The article mentions reasons why some young professionals might want to live in the NEK. I don't disagree with any of its points. There's the glaring omission of how these young professionals would make a living in the NEK though. The article does mention working from home, which some employers do allow. The majority of employers do not encourage working from home though, and I don't see any large corporate headquarters up there for on-site work for professionals.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 AM

Greenfootprint...what kind of work do you do? You never know who might be reading these forums!

Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,098 times
Well, I'm moving back to Vermont and I am leaving what appears to be a great area for jobs here in DC. Shhhh - I have something to tell you - it isn't like it appears. Jobs may seem plentiful but they are very scarce. DOD contracting is big here and that is where the biggest lay offs have been coming. Very difficult to survive in a high rent/mortgage area even when you are 1 - 2 hours from the city where the 'jobs' are without a hefyy income. You spend most of your time going to work, working, and going home from work. I get up every morning at 2:45am to get into the city so that I can leave by 2pm and at least only have a 1.5 - 2 hour commute home. By the time you get home, it's almost time to go to bed again. That's not living...for some...maybe, but not for me. I've done it for almost 20 years. You may make money to pay the bills and do some things on the side....but is it worth sacrificing the majority of your life?

Every place is tough, and it doesn't make it easier when jobs are scarce and incomes are low. Unfortunately, that is becoming more of the norm in more places than Vermont. It just looks like other places have lots of jobs because they also have lots of people which also means a lot more competition. It is very cut throat out there. One day you may have a job and the next, you don't. No notice. No warning. Nothing.

I honestly don't believe this forum represents the true 'Vermonter' (those that currently live in Vermont). There is a lot of negativity on this fourm and I can't wrap my head around it.

Last edited by vermonter16; 08-07-2013 at 08:57 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Greenfootprint...what kind of work do you do? You never know who might be reading these forums!
Electrical engineering. And if anybody's reading, we're (very!) willing and able to make the move to the great state of Vermont!

Old 08-07-2013, 08:33 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,525 times
I read the original article from which this was taken "7 Reasons Professionals are Flocking to Vermont" and saw a claim that there a "very real and obvious influx of professionals with young families moving into the area" with no hard data or statistics to back it up. Maybe it is true and maybe it is not. I'm on the southern end of the state so I wouldn't see it. I do however see a lot of Pollyannas who feel that by ignoring the serious negative issues facing the state, the issues will dry up and float away. Sure the rhetoric in the article is nice. Homestead gardening. I hate to think what the growing season is in the NEK, as short as it is down here. I was not able to figure out who wrote the article so i am going to write it off as economic development propaganda. I see the same thing down here by the way, it just doesn't get the attention since I am in the gritty part of the state.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:55 AM

Yea...electrical engineering is somewhat tough. I have a friend who does that and if he were to lose his job it would be tough to find another in this area.
That said...try:
UTC Aerospace in Vergennes
Husky in Milton
Weidmann in St. Johnsbury
Microstrain in Williston

Also...be sure to keep an eye on Seven Days Classifieds as they have the best job listings IMO.

AND..it really helps if you have a Vermont connection already. Not sure if you do but be sure to "play it up" so to speak no interviews etc. Its a small state where it seems that everyone knows everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont