U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 01:27 PM

16,935 posts, read 22,192,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
Really Alaska does OK? Alaska, maybe, the people I've seen there, they don't seem to be to well! Yes, I'm prejudiced.

What you say about Vermont is disheartening and unfortunately I know it's true.

So under the current use program what could keep anybody from having a farm that is also a bed and breakfast and that also have a building where you can host retreat and all sorts of training seminars?
Depends on your perspective.

The land the buildings are on for such a place would not be covered by current use, so you'd pay full tax rate on it. The surrounding land could be in current use.

I think the bed and breakfast market might be a bit saturated in much of VT though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 01:43 PM

5,439 posts, read 14,739,298 times
What are you looking to hear exactly?

There is a lot of conservation here in VT but a lot of it goes through non-profits.

There is no reason why you can't have a farm and a B&B on the same property. You might have to subdivide and get one lot zoned for the B&B and the other for Ag.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:05 PM

68,879 posts, read 51,039,761 times
Quote:
If somebody gives you 50 acres or more of land in Vermont. What would you do with it to make a living?
Just curious here
Thanks
P.
Build a cabin on one end and a home on the other. Start a firewood business generate income. Build a lake if none are around. Find a way to protect your land and the land around you so nobody can build or hunt on it. Build an ice rink. Make snowmobile trails and charge people to ride them.

Buy a popcorn machine, sit back and relax.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:03 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,409,971 times
Walnut trees? They'd be for your grandkids. All your ideas take quite a bit of money and are very risky. Most replies were from a more down to earth, realistic perspective.
I was thinking nudist colony, but winters could be problematic. Since we're dreaming, i'd start a farm/brewery where I grew my own hops and as many ingredients as I could. I'd add an Inn for beer lovers with great local food and awesome beer. Someplace to go, relax, eat, drink, sit around a fire and roast marshmellows, and enjoy nature. I'd finance it with my megabuck winnings.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:11 PM

129 posts, read 188,478 times
Quote:
Wow, I think I'm starting to see where the problems are!
Somebody mentioned property taxes? Well of course there is property taxes, where do you think you are? Have you ever lived in some foreign third world country where there's no property taxes? Do you have any idea the kind of hell it is? So you want free roads, free sewage, free county maintenance, but no property taxes? I've simply stopped talking to people like that. Please!

Well, lady, it's up to you to move your fat ass to see if you could generate income to pay those property taxes.
First of all, I'm a guy. Second, you're being obtuse. I would sell it, because I don't need 50 acres and don't want to pay property taxes on 50 acres. If you had asked the same question about 1 acre, maybe my answer would have been different.

What is your motive in asking what people would do with 50 acres? Attack everyone who answers?

Old 08-09-2013, 04:14 PM

270 posts, read 232,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Depends on your perspective.

The land the buildings are on for such a place would not be covered by current use, so you'd pay full tax rate on it. The surrounding land could be in current use.

I think the bed and breakfast market might be a bit saturated in much of VT though.

That may be so, but many of them are of the same style, and not prone to attract the younger crowd. I personally find this Victorian decor quite oppressive, and I certainly can't be the only one. B&Bs with modern-rustic interior (I'm thinking like one major site in Stowe has it) are rare to find. That may be a niche.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:37 PM

43,012 posts, read 91,966,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibuddy3 View Post
That may be so, but many of them are of the same style, and not prone to attract the younger crowd. I personally find this Victorian decor quite oppressive, and I certainly can't be the only one. B&Bs with modern-rustic interior (I'm thinking like one major site in Stowe has it) are rare to find. That may be a niche.
I agree! The lodging in Vermont leaves much to be desired. Dumps cost a fortune. When I complained about it, locals here said that was part of Vermont's charm. I don't want stained carpeting and outdated furniture. Very, very few places can do Victorian décor well. And don't get me started about country décor. I rented a cabin that had roosters everywhere---pictures, statues, even the alarm clock. I could have tolerated that except for the crusty semen on the comforter. The place was filthy. After one night, I was out of there. When in Vermont, I pay with cash on a nightly basis because I don't want to be stuck somewhere gross. The majority of the lodging is gross or in disrepair. I think the high cost of living makes it difficult for the owners to put money into their properties.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:13 AM

156 posts, read 177,207 times
Crusty semen? Did you say crusty semen? Jesus!

Old 08-11-2013, 09:38 AM

43,012 posts, read 91,966,895 times
Yep. It was that bad.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:13 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,409,971 times
Quote:
Crusty semen? Did you say crusty semen? Jesus!
I'd have slept in the car! The visual you created by putting those 2 words together is horrifying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont