Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times

Advertisements

Instead of going through Troy and the Rt 7 commercial sprawl which is slow driving with many traffic lights stay on I87(Northway), get off between Glens Falls and Lake George exits and follow the directions for the Rt149/Fort Ann/Rt 4 to 22A to Rt 7 route previously mentioned.

Getting off the Northway and going over the new Champlain Bridge is an option but the access off the Northway via the Ticondaroga exit is some extra miles.

People tolerate going thru Troy only if they are going to southern Vermont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 07:54 PM

662 posts, read 1,260,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Instead of going through Troy and the Rt 7 commercial sprawl which is slow driving with many traffic lights stay on I87(Northway), get off between Glens Falls and Lake George exits and follow the directions for the Rt149/Fort Ann/Rt 4 to 22A to Rt 7 route previously mentioned.

Getting off the Northway and going over the new Champlain Bridge is an option but the access off the Northway via the Ticondaroga exit is some extra miles.

People tolerate going thru Troy only if they are going to southern Vermont.
I always stay on RT 87 N the North-way and take the Essex Ferry across. I don't like all those 22A type roads. As long as the ferry is running, I do the same going South. It's worth a few dollars to ride the boat to me.

I used Ted Bear's directions to ride a motorcycle back from North Carolina a couple of years back just to stay off of 95..worked out great 1000 miles in less than 24 hours.

Watch for little dead deer around NJ, all over the place...scary on two wheels.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:13 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times
I live in the DC area and I would normally go 95 to the NJ Turnpike to the Garden State Pkwy to the NY Thruway (87) up to Rt. 149 over to 4 and then 22A. I definitely would not go 7. 81 is ok and I know a lot of my family in Vermont like that route - but it adds time and mileage. You don't have tolls but I think it is around 60 miles or more out of the way. What time of day are you driving? We generally drive at night and we've made three trips (getting ready for a 4th next week) in the last few months and not had any issues with traffic, etc.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:44 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I live in the DC area and I would normally go 95 to the NJ Turnpike to the Garden State Pkwy to the NY Thruway (87) up to Rt. 149 over to 4 and then 22A. I definitely would not go 7. 81 is ok and I know a lot of my family in Vermont like that route - but it adds time and mileage. You don't have tolls but I think it is around 60 miles or more out of the way. What time of day are you driving? We generally drive at night and we've made three trips (getting ready for a 4th next week) in the last few months and not had any issues with traffic, etc.
We drive down and back every year to the Keys and we avoid DC/MD/DE and NJ at all costs. The tolls are ridiculous and the congestion no matter what time we go through DC/Baltimore is a parking lot. We have even tried to get through there 4 AM and 8 PM, still congestion. In the RV, the tolls were $65.

I recommended 7 because the OP didn't state where they were going in VT in the original post. I agree, 7 can be slow.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:47 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadd1014 View Post
I always stay on RT 87 N the North-way and take the Essex Ferry across. I don't like all those 22A type roads. As long as the ferry is running, I do the same going South. It's worth a few dollars to ride the boat to me.

I used Ted Bear's directions to ride a motorcycle back from North Carolina a couple of years back just to stay off of 95..worked out great 1000 miles in less than 24 hours.

Watch for little dead deer around NJ, all over the place...scary on two wheels.
I have driven all over on my Harley (which currently is for sale) and one of the prettiest rides is on Rt 100 in VT. If you know someone I have a 2007 Ultra loaded and pristine for sale.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:28 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We drive down and back every year to the Keys and we avoid DC/MD/DE and NJ at all costs. The tolls are ridiculous and the congestion no matter what time we go through DC/Baltimore is a parking lot. We have even tried to get through there 4 AM and 8 PM, still congestion. In the RV, the tolls were $65.

I recommended 7 because the OP didn't state where they were going in VT in the original post. I agree, 7 can be slow.
Yeah 4am and 8pm are still high commute times. At night time, you might get construction on 95 in Maryland or on the beltway here in the DC area, I know it well. That's why I leave at 3am for my commute every day. I fare great through NJ at night time. I guess it's all about timing in the end. If the person is driving during the day, yeah, 81 would probably run a lot more smoothly.

I guess when it comes to tolls, since we have so many toll roads around here I don't think about it. Well, I do think about it but it is just one of those things you just deal with. We have the traffic management tolls that rise and fall depending on congestion. We have a 14 mile stretch of road that costs over $20 in commuter traffic. On a normal basis it costs you $10. We have another new toll that costs you over $6 to go 3 miles and that can increase if traffic is really bad. So you can sit for an hour to go a few miles or spend most of your paycheck every day on tolls, lol. Such is life.

Good points though.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:29 AM

247 posts, read 452,365 times
Thanks for all the tips!
We will be traveling during the day, with three kids (one who hates driving at night-fights sleep if in the car at night!) So avoiding congestion was our main plan. It seems we have a solid route mapped out now, much easier with the comments made here! Thanks again. We look forward to making Vermont our home soon!

Old 08-15-2013, 05:33 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,513 times
We use our GPS to plan routes. We see the difference in time using the fastest time option vs "avoid highways and tolls" . We did that when we went to the outer banks and it was 30 minutes longer avoiding highways, but way more relaxing and scenic. Great way to find fun places vs. grinding out the miles on the interstate.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:02 AM

247 posts, read 452,365 times
I just wanted to say thanks again, we made it safely and with little congestion (aside from road construction in PA). Beautiful drive!

Old 08-30-2013, 12:59 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwildcatfan View Post
I just wanted to say thanks again, we made it safely and with little congestion (aside from road construction in PA). Beautiful drive!
Glad it worked out well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont