U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 04:42 PM

19 posts, read 60,838 times

Advertisements

We have a snowblower right now but it's a smaller toro:

* 141 cc Toro R*Tek® Engine
* 20" Clearing Width
* Up to 30' Throw Distance*
* Up to 1,700 lbs per Minute*
* Recoil or Electric Starter

Our current driveway is about 125 feet long and it takes DH about an hour to clear it in a snowstorm.

Our new driveway looks to be about 500 feet long and ya'll get wayyyy more snow out in Vermont than in Idaho.

What kind of snowblower should I think about or alternatively would you go with a four wheeler with a blade/snowblower attachment or maybe get a blade attachment for our suburban. The driveway is paved.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 04:53 PM

3,328 posts, read 8,770,254 times
I'd hire someone to plow

Old 11-15-2007, 05:57 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,416,671 times
Though I'm not up in the NEK I do live in an area with pretty good snowfall being a few miles west of Camel's Hump. We also have a 500 ft drive on an incline. Two years ago I bought a Honda 11 hp track driven snowblower which is 32" wide. Honda equipment is sturdy and reliable. Mine does have an electric start, but the pull start is very easy. When I lived in Anchorage, Ak I had to clear out 150 feet and I had an Ariens 9hp with wheels which was also a good machine. Since going to tracks I will never go back. The machine is effortless to walk behind and it will go over or through anything. Suggest you check out the Honda website and check the details for information. I prefer to use a snowblower versus plowing since I avoid berms and it's a great way to get outside.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:46 PM

Dearest Flu... Exactly the information I was looking for! I'll check it out for DH!

Old 11-15-2007, 07:41 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,416,671 times
Just wanted to add something. Another thing I like about using my track snowblower is that it allows me to more completely clear our parking pad which is irregular in shape. I also clear a path around the house for the oil delivery point and where I have to push my generator to during power outages. Finally, I just get carried away with the thing and more often than not clear other paths. As with any snowblower always make sure you have extra shear bolts on hand for both the auger drive and impeller. Nothing more frustrating than blowing one in the middle of a job and having to run out to get a spare.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:57 PM

46 posts, read 206,060 times
Be careful about attaching a plow to your vehicle- plows bend the frame of your truck eventually. A lot of people I know have an older truck for this very purpose.

Old 11-22-2007, 02:39 PM

100 posts, read 351,972 times
Get your own plow truck, hire someone to plow it or buy yourself a tractor with a plow.

I just can't picture snowblowing 500 ft of driveway, most people hire someone to do it for them. Just a fact of life up here.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:56 PM

I just can't picture snowblowing 500 ft of driveway, most people hire someone to do it for them. Just a fact of life up here.[/quote]

DH is retired and has ADHD *g* but he is bucking for a four wheeler with a blade *lolol*

We'll just have to see which house we get, the length of the driveway and other factors. Since I work at home and need to have the driveway clear for clients to get to me doing it ourselves is probably the way to go.

We don't mind hard work and prefer to do alot of things ourselves but if there's a neighbor who can plow it out and we can maybe barter that might work.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:34 PM

4,231 posts, read 7,121,464 times
There's always a gallon or two of gas and a match. Just don't get too close to the house/garage/vehicles/valuables/flammables.

The "meltdown" technique. Low tech but effective...

Old 11-27-2007, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
There's always a gallon or two of gas and a match. Just don't get too close to the house/garage/vehicles/valuables/flammables.

The "meltdown" technique. Low tech but effective...
This is something I am *not* going to share with DH

He's the one who always mutters about "det cord" when we are clearing stumps, I don't even want to get started about snow and gasoline *lolol*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont