Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 09:31 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times

Advertisements

I think the Governor probably doesn't want another term. One of his bright ideas is to possibly institute the largest tax increase in Vermont history (payroll tax). Shumlin says the biggest impact would be felt by businesses that don't currently contribute to their employees' insurance. I think he is not using his head when it comes to business. The feeling is most of the small businesses (aka mom and pop businesses) don't offer health insurance is because they can't afford to pay health insurance. The feeling is many businesses will lay off employees, close or move out of state. This is not where it stops. When the Fed rolls out the Affordable Care Act, there will be additional taxes we and businesses will have to pay. I'm sure business won't be able to pick up the 1.6 billion dollar tax hike and if they do, what do you think will happen? It will just get passed down to the employee. We all will have pay a little more (a lot more actually). The way it was described, the big employers like IBM and FAHC won't be paying much because they offer premium health care plans. This could be the final nail in the coffin for IBM if they do have a big tax hike, because they are known to employ many part time employees so they don't have to pay as much for benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
This is all because of the single payer system that Shumlin wants to implement. Really the state reminds me of the family that buys flat screen TV, new car, new furniture, hires maids and gardeners and goes deeper and deeper into debt. The only exception is that while the family's only option is to put the grand purchases on the credit card, the state of VT simply institutes new taxes to pay for the excesses.

Shumlin never knew where the $1.6 BILLION for the single payer healthcare was supposed to come from. Wide-eyed proponents of the single payer system seem to think this is oh-so-progressive and we simply need it since we are after all Vermont. But where or where to get $1.6 BILLION on the quick? Oh right, hit up small businesses that are already struggling.

Why doesn't he just admit his mistake in this single payer silliness and call it off? If the state had a healthy economy I would have little to say against it. But Montpelier seems to be doing everything in their power to drive away small businesses while making exemptions for large employers (like IBM), exempting state employees from the single-payer system, and actively courting captive insurance providers who circumvent the state mandates. Really, does it get any more hypocritical than this?

Old 09-11-2013, 03:00 PM

819 posts, read 1,495,219 times
He's probably operating under the theory of "I'll propose my plan to fund the program via this crazy idea and on one hand the Vermont voters are in fact dumb enough to potentially vote for this in which case, I'm a progressive hero and on the other hand if the voters vote it down it won't necessarily be my fault and I can spin the failure on any number of BS theories from the left wing tool box"....

Old 09-12-2013, 10:46 AM

400 posts, read 849,726 times
I figured this was coming all along, that's why they never wanted to answer the funding question when they were in a huge rush to pass single payer and throw a party over it.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:49 AM

64 posts, read 101,518 times
he doesn't care about business or about Vermonters, when IBM said if the yankee plant is closed and our electricity goes up 300% we will move out of Vermont, Shumlin's answer was I am not going to call IBM or any business first to see if they agree with my decisions.

ok, great idea, Johnson Controls packed up and left, everready went from 3- 7 day shifts to mon-fri 1 shift, nastech has refused to renew its lease and is moving to TN, Mack is down to 1 plant not running 3 shifts anymore, Globe, gone. Bennington Iron Works, another 7 day a week 3 shifts a day great paying jobs, closed, packed moved gone.

what are we all expected to do? open organic farmstands and pay our taxes with raw milk?

Last edited by vter; 09-14-2013 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: name calling/offensive

Old 09-18-2013, 03:29 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
Vermonters have to vote people like this out. I don't know what segment of the Vermont population Shumlin is "playing" to but it doesn't sound good for your average "Vermonter". Odd as it may seem, some people "LOVE" higher taxes/fees. It must make them think they are getting more/better. If this keeps up Vermont is going to be home to two classes; the very wealthy and the very poor (heck it's practically that way now). I still have family there, (not far from you northernborn). The middle/working class will leave because there will be no jobs for them. The retirees, forget it. Who can afford to, who will want to. Vermont is becoming/has become a bedroom community for Holyoke, Springfield, Hartford, New Haven, Boston, Albany, NYC, NJ.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:25 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times
More good news for the health exchange this week. Vt. Health CO-OP dissolves after feds say gig's up - SFGate This has the potential of turning into a real disaster.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:51 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
That is EXCELLENT news!

Quote:
But the state Department of Financial Regulation denied the organization a license in May partly because its proposed rates weren't competitive. The state also questioned the co-op's governance, and said there was a conflict of interest in the co-op's decision to do business with a company owned by a board member.
Let's see, they couldn't pay off their loans, they weren't competitive, and someone on the board stood to profit from it if it had been allowed to proceed? Definitely needed a plug pulled here and glad the Feds had the guts to do it.

Thanks for posting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont