U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 10:28 AM

1,434 posts, read 4,507,192 times
Default Gang Activity in Vermont

I've been reading about that big gang bust in Georgia, where they did an undercover sting using a fake tattoo parlor.

Tattoo parlor run by cops busts gangs - CNN.com

The article said that gangs are all over, even in small towns.

I'm wondering how much of a gang problem there is in Vermont and what is being done about it. Also, I'd like to know where the gang activity actually is.

I know that in Brattleboro, they had some problems in the Harmony Lot, a parking lot where teens congregate. They have had some rough characters going there recently, and the town took some action. But I don't know if there was any gang activity involved. I doubt it, though, but, again, I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 10:54 AM

45 posts, read 161,347 times
I've heard off and on about the fact that gangs have been coming up from NYC- because in the city, there are territories, and the country is up for grabs. Up near the border, there is drug action, obviously, because of dealers smuggling it in from Canada, and I know there were some gang connections with that. I had students whose parents were busted for it and went to prison, so sad. It's everywhere, VT isn't without it's lowlifes, unfortunately, but it is to a lesser degree than in the inner city.

Last edited by Stiner; 11-17-2007 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-22-2007, 02:51 PM

100 posts, read 277,401 times
There are teens that hang out in the harmony lot and other areas downtown but this is not gang activity that I'm aware of.
Life here in Brattleboro is pretty low key and quiet.

I'd suggest coming up and spending some time here, talking with the locals and seeing for yourself what it is really like here.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:45 PM

1,574 posts, read 3,228,914 times
Yet another major drug/weapons bust in the Rutland area the other day. Can't say I can attribute this directly to "gang" activity, but when I worked in law enforcement in another state such incidents were almost exclusively linked to gangs. These fine specimens of humanity also hail from NYC. I wish there was a way we could bill Spitzer and Bloomberg for the prosecution, care, and feeding of these low lifes. Afterall, when neighbor states threaten our "quality" of life with for example air pollution we are ready to drag them to court and make them stop or pay for damages.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLady321 View Post
There are teens that hang out in the harmony lot and other areas downtown but this is not gang activity that I'm aware of.
Life here in Brattleboro is pretty low key and quiet.

I'd suggest coming up and spending some time here, talking with the locals and seeing for yourself what it is really like here.
I've been visiting Brattleboro regularly for the last year and a half. I generally like what I see in the area. People seem calm, gentle and courteous. Very different from NYC. I have been told about or have read about the negatives. There is the proximity of the Vermont Yankee nuke plant. Ther are general Vermont issues like the weather and the economy. There are general small town issues - such as living in a fishbowl, hypocracy, having fewer amenities than a big city, etc. - which are not confined to either Brattleboro or to Vermont.

What I like a lot is the sense of community. Brattleboro seems to be a close town, as evidenced by the 30-year-old tradition of a community Thanksgiving dinner. And I like Brattleboro's inclusiveness; I would not be an outcast because I come from somewhere else, even New York.

There is always something to do there. There are concerts, plays, art galleries and opportunities to study and make art. There is opportunity for significant civic engagement. There is a great (although expensive) food co-op. You are not 2 hours away from Montreal, as you are in Burlington, but you are 2 hours away from Boston. And you are close enough to NYC to make the trip between meals. You are also near Keene and Northampton, which are nice small cities with their own attractions.

As a matter of fact, I planned to go up to Brattleboro yesterday, but my on-again, off-again cold was acting up. My bags are still packed. I may go up today and come home Sunday, but for some reason I feel some resistance. Maybe I don't want to get sicker from the abrupt changes in temperature that we have been having. Maybe I'll wait until Decemter 7, which is Gallery Walk night.

BTW, I did notice today that the sun sets about 10 minutes earlier in Brattleboro than it does in Brooklyn. I learned this on the weather pages of the CNN.com website; I was looking at weather forecasts for Brooklyn and Brattleboro and discovered the difference in sunset times. I guess Bratt's sunset is earlier because the town is further north. No brainer, but I was surprised that a 4-5 your car trip could result in a such a difference.

I guess this means that Bratt's summer days are longer.

Last edited by arel; 11-23-2007 at 06:41 AM..

Old 11-23-2007, 08:21 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,660,093 times
When I was in VT there was a little gang of wannabes who would
tag GMB all over everything and who did make a little trouble
but they were not Crips/Bloods type treachery. GMB means Green
Mountain Boys. Im sure the real ones are rolling over in their graves
at this. The locals in Rutland are all 100% in agreement that the AMTRAK
train brought the drugs into Rutland. Other than the racial stuff they
would say along with that, I have to agree that the train was a problem
in that a lot of stuff came up from NYC or Albany on it. A search of
Rutland Herald archives will show the few drug busts the Rutland PD
could manage most likely had something to do with train transport.
Other than that, I have no knowledge of overt gang activity in VT.
Gangs of marauding BMW SUV's with NY tags on Rt. 4 and 100
were a problem, however.........

Old 11-23-2007, 03:25 PM

What about a marauding Nissan Sentra with New York License plates, seen in Brattleboro every time I go up there?

On the positive side, the car is green.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:35 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,660,093 times
The one with the " I :Heart: cats" bumpersticker ?

No problem !

Old 11-23-2007, 09:37 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,553,797 times
In Rutland there was a problem with the Latin Kings and the Connecticut State police gave some assistance in dealing with them. Also here in Burlington there are many who get busted from NYC and other cities for drug dealings. I'm sure some of these people have ties to gangs.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
The one with the " I :Heart: cats" bumpersticker ?

No problem !
I don't have any bumperstickers on my car, but I know I have a reputation as a cat person. On the forum and with people I know. When I get presents or cards, they are very often cat-themed.

Do you know how I knew I was getting older? I stopped hearing that I should be a veterinarian, and began to hear that I should have been one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont