Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 04:34 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,961,807 times

Advertisements

I've only been here full time through one winter, but I have to say, the gray here doesn't bother me nearly as much as the gray in NY did. Even though there's not a ton of sun, the snow keeps things very bright most of the time...in NYC, it's just blech lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 08:15 PM

80 posts, read 158,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
The Burlington area or Middlebury have lots going on year round due to the colleges. Sports events, lectures, galleries, etc.
What type of engineering work are you looking for? Civil? Environmental? Electrical? Software?
For me its not so much the cold that bothers me in winter - you gotta know how to dress. Getting out to ski (I downhill) or ice skate keeps me busy. Its the lack of sun that bothers me most. Its very gray here in the winter. Not a whole heck of a lot of sun and short days. Thats why we always head south (FL) for a week or 2 during the winter!
I remember some very gray days (sometimes weeks!) in NY. I get out a lot more now with the kids, so maybe the cumulative sunshine will help keep the blues away. When we first left NY, I kept complaining to my husband that it was just too damn bright all the time. Where were the overcast days I had come to love? Now I'm something of a sunshine junkie...

Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
I've only been here full time through one winter, but I have to say, the gray here doesn't bother me nearly as much as the gray in NY did. Even though there's not a ton of sun, the snow keeps things very bright most of the time...in NYC, it's just blech lol.

TKLN, I agree that the snow (coupled with the beautiful landscape!) could serve to brighten up the winter days (as well as my mood!) considerably. We don't get much snow in Virginia--I'd forgotten how beautiful it can be. Thanks for the reminder!

Old 10-01-2013, 10:41 PM

914 posts, read 2,919,140 times
If you don't mind saying, in what part of Virginia do you live? I understand there are climate variations there, even though it isn't a very large state.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
If you don't mind saying, in what part of Virginia do you live? I understand there are climate variations there, even though it isn't a very large state.
From what I understand, the climate does vary depending on whether you're in the northern, southern or western (mountainous) part of the state. We're in the southeastern part near the coast (almost on the NC border). Doesn't get much warmer or sunnier in VA than here--I kind of love it.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:47 PM

274 posts, read 673,759 times
I only moved from southern NH to the Burlington area so the weather difference wasn't much but this is what we've enjoyed: Burlington has much less "wet snow", freezing rain and ice. It's north enough to get the good dry stuff. That makes a huge difference in enjoying winter. The other is that people are still outdoors all.the.time. There is no big indoor place to take the kids or to hide from winter. So people here just learn how to dress for it and carry on with their lives. I was stunned when I first saw Church St in winter - still active with lots of walkers and shoppers on a cold gray day. And lastly, there is a lot going on here, way more than what's normal for a city of 40k people.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momnh View Post
I only moved from southern NH to the Burlington area so the weather difference wasn't much but this is what we've enjoyed: Burlington has much less "wet snow", freezing rain and ice. It's north enough to get the good dry stuff. That makes a huge difference in enjoying winter. The other is that people are still outdoors all.the.time. There is no big indoor place to take the kids or to hide from winter. So people here just learn how to dress for it and carry on with their lives. I was stunned when I first saw Church St in winter - still active with lots of walkers and shoppers on a cold gray day. And lastly, there is a lot going on here, way more than what's normal for a city of 40k people.
See, that's another thing--back when we lived in NY, I was a babe. I wore this little wool coat and cutsie beret thing and couldn't figure out why I was so cold. Now, it gets below forty, and I bundle up in my long down coat, hat, the works. With my nature-boy husband, I have to be ready for an outdoor adventure at anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
View detailed profiles of: