Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 04:22 PM

267 posts, read 1,835,852 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking into buying modular home if we stay here in Vermont. Right now we are renting and the houses that we are looking to rent or buy are not looking too good. The nice houses that are in good condition are way out of our budget and the houses that are in our budget are either too small or in bad shape and in need of renovations. Alot of the houses we see have no garages. Whats up with that?!! How can you not have a garage especially with all the snow thats up here?

Anyway, a few people have told us about modular homes and that they loved it. What are some good builders here for those homes? We figure if we spend so much money on a house might as well and get what we want.

Any info or experiences with modular homes in VT would be great.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 06:00 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Modular is an increasingly interesting way to go when buying a new home. They follow either the international or local building codes, and have the advantages of factory production. That said, watch for cost cutting measures and be sure to visit the construction plant floor at least once before commiting to a manufacturer.

Some possible things you might not like - plastic plumbing instead of copper, smaller drain pipes (3" instead of 4" and sink drains may only have 1" drains), smaller gauge wiring (14 instead of 12), lower grades of windows and cabinetry unless you spec differently, and floor plans that can have the linear look of railroad cars stuck together. All this can be overcome, but not at the low base prices sometimes quoted.

Interestingly to me, the construction of modular and manufactured housing is very similar to the way railroad cars were made. The frame is far longer than it is wide, and sits on a carriage that wheels it sideways through the various construction stations.

Although not in Vermont, we decided on manufactured housing with an insualtion package that would work in Vermont.

As for garages, as I recollect, cars parked in garages would typically rust out faster than those that remained outdoors. The salt was colder and didn't react with the water and metal as much outside, and the temptation to wash the car (and make matters worse in areas where you couldn't wash) was reduced. 'course that was before global warming when winters were real winters.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:03 PM

267 posts, read 1,835,852 times
We may try to go and look at some this weekend or next. If we stay here for a few years we might as well buy a house, modular or not. No sense wasting money on rent. Plus, the kids will need there own rooms eventually and we need more space. We've got too much junk

Old 11-24-2007, 03:26 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
I think modular homes have come along way from 20 years ago. I think you can get pretty much anything you want. Some of them are built very well you just have to do some due diligence so what you end up with is want you want.

In Oxford, Maine, right across the road from the Oxford Speedway there is a strip with several mod home companies in a row. I never stopped but some of the models look pretty nice. They are not just ugly boxes like they used to be.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Air

150 posts, read 537,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
As for garages, as I recollect, cars parked in garages would typically rust out faster than those that remained outdoors. The salt was colder and didn't react with the water and metal as much outside, and the temptation to wash the car (and make matters worse in areas where you couldn't wash) was reduced. 'course that was before global warming when winters were real winters.
I pulled my car into the garage every night for one winter season, and got small specks of rust and a dime sized one on the roof before the winter was over. This was a car that was only a few years old, two years ago. The neighbour always left her older Mercedes outside and it still looks great.

One more thing, Montrealers NEVER wash the car all winter, until you have to because your clothes are getting dirty going in and out.ds

It all has to do with the salt. People in St-Sauveur can do as they wish because they don't salt the roads there, I've been told.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:57 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,268,649 times
Ya...our roads down here in VT get salted....it's a good idea to get the car washed a few times over the season to get that salt off.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:59 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
Another thing that helped me in Alaska was to give the car a good washing the after the first hint of snow and put on a double-layer of high-quality wax... really helps keep the salt and stuff from rusting your body panels out... the undercarriage is a whole other story, but a really good lube before and after seemed to help

Old 12-01-2007, 06:36 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
To protect their undersides from the ill effects of salt alot of the old-timers get their car oiled. it seems like a messy way to go but many swear by it.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:05 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
I am also considering a modular home (if we can swing it). I asked about this on the NH forum months ago and got mixed results.

More opinions on this would be great.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:11 AM

72 posts, read 213,875 times
I have a modular home and love it. Some are built with 2x6 walls with r-15 and r-30 in cieling with the option to double that. There are many different models and you can even customize plans without extra expense in most floor plan as long as the strutural walls are maintained.When i decided to go modular house where built at 150 to 200 dollars a square ft, i got my house at 58 dollars a sqft. the company i used was in pa called crest homes( cresthomes.com) i am not sure if they go to vt or not.i can offer more on this topic if you need me to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont