Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 01:21 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
Glass covered in soot is primarily due to not burning the stove at a hot enough temperature.

The only time our glass gets cloudy with soot is a result of low and slow overnight burns with the stove temps dropping from prime burning temps of 400-550 degrees to the 200-300 degree range. Once I get the stove back up to 400+ degrees that glass clears right up in about 30mins or less. The only time I clean it off is when I clean the stove for the season, other than that we have perfectly clear fire watching all day.

I am amazed at how many people run stoves in strange ways, I'm blown away by how much smoke some people cerate in the mornings etc. Looks like a house fire on the mountain sides some mornings.
Isn't that the truth. I think some of those stoves don't have cats, so it all goes up the chimney. You couldn't pay me to use a cheap stove or one without a cat. I did that one winter and I went through so much more wood than when we went with a cat stove. The only time we get alot of smoke is when we first load the stove in the morning or after work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 01:23 PM

444 posts, read 788,682 times
We have a Jotul F3, which is one of their smaller models. It came with the house and is our first wood stove experience. Overall I'm amazed at how well it works. The house is about 2600 sq. feet, and we burn 4 cords per winter. Last winter, that plus 189 gallons of heating oil took care of all our heating. I think the stove is exceptionally well made and well designed. The only problem we've had is with the baffle. We used the stove for 2 years and the previous owner for 3, and the baffle was shot. I replaced it myself, though, and it wasn't particularly difficult.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
A non-cat stove can be just as good as a cat stove, but it needs to be used properly. Personally I prefer not to deal with converters.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:39 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
I'm looking for a wood stove for a fairly well insulated home, heat loss is around 24K BTU @ -17 F and that is being generous. Any thoughts? F3CB seems to come up often. I saw it priced at local shop for $1600. I'm slightly hesitant for a stove even that big because of how well sealed and well insulated the home will be. I've heard people say that you can hardly get a real fire going if that is the case because you will heat yourself out.

One other question. I see a lot of raised hearths. Is there any reason not to just inlay a stone hearth flush with the wood floor surrounding it? I can get the long leg kit if needed to raise the stove up a little. It looks like the F100 and F3cb come with a bottom heat shield, so it can sit right on non-combustible materials.

Last edited by joe moving; 10-28-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-28-2014, 02:38 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,187 times
Our house came with a Hearthstone stove (that we haven't used yet, long story) and it's set on what I think is a large slab of slate in the middle of the wood floor. We have a heat shield on the back, as it backs up the stair railing. I'm assuming the previous owners used it with no issues, and hope to get some good use out of it this winter. I can send you a pic if you'd like.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:47 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
Sure, send it over!

Old 11-01-2014, 09:54 AM

24 posts, read 45,120 times
Have had Vermont Castings, Hearthwood (soapstone) and Jotul. Jotul seemed to be the best one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont