U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 12:47 PM

819 posts, read 1,232,019 times

Advertisements

How's Route 2 for safety in comparison......as that is another similar road in single lane, higher speed, only East/West, no divider etc.

They just dropped serious coin out by us to put a rumble strip in the middle of Rt 2........

That being said, I'm not in favor of heavier infrastructure.....at all....

ArcticHomesteader......last year I went to hit one of my favorite covers and found a friggin' school bus parked there with an entire field trip going on..... "Here kids watch the man with the dogs and the gun...."

We could rip up RT 91 at the 89 junction and be fine......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 01:04 PM

32,794 posts, read 22,746,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
There's really no debate to be had here whether a guardrail makes a road safer(everything else being equal). It does. Anyone arguing otherwise lacks common sense or has an agenda The only debate is whether the lives lost/destroyed are worth the $ to put up a guardrail/do road improvements.

If you don't want a discussion, and have the answers already and aren't willing to bend on them, why in the world did you start the thread?

Old 11-12-2013, 03:49 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,645,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If you don't want a discussion, and have the answers already and aren't willing to bend on them, why in the world did you start the thread?
To give my opinion. It was never really a question.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post

They just dropped serious coin out by us to put a rumble strip in the middle of Rt 2........

ArcticHomesteader......last year I went to hit one of my favorite covers and found a friggin' school bus parked there with an entire field trip going on..... "Here kids watch the man with the dogs and the gun...."

Hmmm....see this is the real deal. People just want to live in the woods away from it all and are afraid improving roads will lead to increased population. It's always absurd to see people who have an agenda on this thread and many others around the internet making a false manipulative argument rather than just coming out and saying what the real deal is.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:51 PM

32,794 posts, read 22,746,528 times
Quote:
To give my opinion. It was never really a question.
Quote:
Can someone please explain to me why route 9 has not been turned into a divided highway?
Fooled me. Not a rhetorical question as phrased.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Fooled me. Not a rhetorical question as phrased.
Yes it clearly was intended to be a rhetorical question based on how strong my opinion was. I guess there's no voice inflection on the internet obviously. It was trying to make a statement.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:28 PM

819 posts, read 1,232,019 times
Quote:
Hmmm....see this is the real deal. People just want to live in the woods away from it all and are afraid improving roads will lead to increased population. It's always absurd to see people who have an agenda on this thread and many others around the internet making a false manipulative argument rather than just coming out and saying what the real deal is.
I assume you aren't thinking I have an agenda or making false manipulative arguments........if so I'll clarify any point I ever make on the interweb.

And by the way, improving roads has lead to development, not in an instant city type of way as jobs are the draw for real population growth. However easy access, especially in New England/Northeast, leads to increased second home development, resort development etc. If you have to drive another 2 hours from a highway ona dark windy road to get somewhere people are less likely to actually go there vs. a 10min ride from an interstate exit. It is what it is.....

Old 11-12-2013, 06:57 PM

16,458 posts, read 21,495,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
How's Route 2 for safety in comparison......as that is another similar road in single lane, higher speed, only East/West, no divider etc.

Yeah. I had the same experience late September in Ferdinand of all places. Figured going down US 2 from Maine I'd take a detour, drive up through Maidstone and then towards Island Pond and stop at a great place to hunt and be alone for a few hours in Ferdinand. Nope, tour bus and some class was there. Didn't see anything there but one boreal chickadee. The population of Ferdinand temporarily doubled that day.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:51 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,629,055 times
Quote:
Can someone please explain to me why route 9 has not been turned into a divided highway? The fatality statistics for that road are horrific.
Okay, I'll bite. What are the fatality statistics on Route 9?

Old 11-25-2013, 06:19 AM

18,338 posts, read 18,578,802 times
Why pick out Rte 9?
The same situation exists in every sparsely populated area in every state with mountains.
Besides, since Vermont intends to put it's money into a universal type health care system, if an accident doesn't kill you, you'll at least know your medical bills will be covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont