U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 06:19 PM

1,442 posts, read 5,898,152 times

Advertisements

One of my cats, Rudy, may need major surgery. He may need to have a lobe of his lung removed, because of what is believed to be a tumor.

I am concerned about aftercare when he gets home. For most of the day no one is home. Fortunately, I have a schedule where I can often take time to go home in the middle of the day. But sometimes this is not possible.

So I would want a reliable pet sitter, ideally a vet tech, to check on him during the day. Is he breathing comfortably? Does he need pain medicine? Does the vet need to be called? Does he need to be taken to the vet? During his recovery period, he will be a special needs cat.

But I would not board him. He would be harmed, I think, by that kind of stress. Cats want to remain in their homes.

If you could provide an outstanding in-home care program for special needs cats, or other special needs pets, I think it would have a devoted following, especially if the caretakers are vet techs and if they build relationships with the pet owners. They would become the "go to" people when such needs arise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 06:43 AM

1,822 posts, read 4,521,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arel View Post
But I would not board him. He would be harmed, I think, by that kind of stress. Cats want to remain in their homes.

If you could provide an outstanding in-home care program for special needs cats, or other special needs pets, I think it would have a devoted following, especially if the caretakers are vet techs and if they build relationships with the pet owners. They would become the "go to" people when such needs arise.

I agree completely with Arel. A trusted in-home care program is worth its weigh in gold-pressed latinum. If I were away during the day and needed kitty-care, I would use a service like that in a second!

Arel, I am so sorry to hear about your Rudy's possible upcoming surgery. I hope all goes well he heals comfortably.

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 12-09-2007 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: Add something I forgot

Old 12-10-2007, 12:23 AM

1,442 posts, read 5,898,152 times
Thank you for your best wishes for Rudy.

He appears fine. You would never know he was sick, except for the occasional coughing fits.

I have a cat sitter. She works at the vet's office. But she is very busy and I am concerned that she won't be available every time I need her. I have no other cat sitter. My previous cat sitters are no longer available. One died (she was elderly), two moved and the third is too busy with other responsibilities now.

If I knew of a safe and reliable special needs cat-sitting service, I would have a lot more peace of mind right now.

Such a service would fill an important and needed niche, although probably not a huge one.

Last edited by arel; 12-10-2007 at 12:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont