Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 07:11 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwiggin3 View Post
I've not yet visited and am considering a short trip late this spring. My concern is that I'm romanticizing the area. ?
Hell, half the reason we live in Vermont cause we romanticize our existence. Many times as I am driving the back roads I feel I am living in some Norman Rockwell painting. It certainly isn't cause of the abundance of high paying jobs. Money is no object if you don't have any

The view you get of South Royalton from I89 northbound is amazing. At night in the winter it does look like a christmas card. I spend alot of time in Chelsea which is north of SR on Rt 110. That whole road from SR to Chelsea thru Tunbridge is one of the prettiest in the state. I know, I know, ya can't eat scenery but I sure living here anyway.

Don't know if this will help you get a feel for the area, I just like fooling around with Google Earth.

http://forums.skimrv.com/albums/album33/south_roya.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 07:21 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,415 times
About 20 years ago I was in a Kmart and looked at a jigsaw puzzle. It was a picture of SoRo taken from the interstate. I bought all they had of that puzzle.

The road from Woodstock to SoRo and Barnard to SoRo are gorgeous. I agree on the road through Tunbridge to Chelsea. Chelsea is a cool place-the town green has a courthouse.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:25 PM

28 posts, read 66,997 times
I have to admit, I use Google Earth to look at the sprawl and development of NH, MA, NJ and NY and then span over to VT to look at all of the farms, woodlands and mountains and I smile.

Last edited by VTLaw2011; 11-27-2007 at 08:05 PM..

Old 11-27-2007, 10:46 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,824,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
About 20 years ago I was in a Kmart and looked at a jigsaw puzzle. It was a picture of SoRo taken from the interstate. I bought all they had of that puzzle.

The road from Woodstock to SoRo and Barnard to SoRo are gorgeous. I agree on the road through Tunbridge to Chelsea. Chelsea is a cool place-the town green has a courthouse.
Actually, Chelsea has two town greens, the southern one has the Orange County District Courthouse of which you mention as Chelsea is the county seat of Orange County. The northern green has a pretty church. Most of Jay Craven's movie Stranger in the Kingdom(great movie) was filmed there.

The road to Woodstock is a nice drive as well. Several times in the winter we drive from Chelsea thru SR to Woodstock to see my buddies grandkids play hockey.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:02 AM

I also have a question on residency in the state. Let's say I get a job there after law school. What does the process entail and how long does it take? Remember this is coming from someone in their early 20s who has never done this before. heh.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:13 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTLaw2011 View Post
I also have a question on residency in the state. Let's say I get a job there after law school. What does the process entail and how long does it take? Remember this is coming from someone in their early 20s who has never done this before. heh.
What do you mean? Get a DL, register your car, register to vote, have place to live, and you are a resident.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
What do you mean? Get a DL, register your car, register to vote, have place to live, and you are a resident.
Gotcha. I was asking because some states have special rules and waiting periods for students, but I didn't know if it applied just to state funded schools or all schools. Didn't know if VT had anything like that for all students or just students who were applying for in-state tuition that wanted residency at UVM. But I guess since VLS is private, I should have no problem.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:42 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,149 times
Quote:
Btw, I am a "he".
You mean people from first tier schools make mistakes too?

I know people who graduated from very low ranked state schools (the ones with TWO directions in the name!) who are doing quite well. I went to Northwestern University in Chicago, which is considered a good school, and I was amazed that some of my classmates actually found their way to class. Ever watch The Apprentice? Most of the contestants are graduates
of highly ranked schools, and I've been impressed with perhaps two of them over the years. Tiers schmiers. A ten-minute interview will say more about
intelligence than a degree from a higher ranked school.

Smartest boss I ever had graduated from Eastern Illinois University.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:06 AM

Hehe. It's true though. Sometimes people can learn better and grow intellectually in a smaller college than in a higher tier fast paced university. I experienced the latter in my undergrad at UConn and now I'm looking forward to a small law school in VT with the best environmental law program in the country.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:22 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,149 times
Quote:
Hehe. It's true though. Sometimes people can learn better and grow intellectually in a smaller college than in a higher tier fast paced university. I experienced the latter in my undergrad at UConn and now I'm looking forward to a small law school in VT with the best environmental law program in the country.
Well we'll be happy to have you and your enthusiasm.

We need more people who buck the system. This country is full of sheep (not the animals). Part of our problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont